Talk about ultimate deer rifle setup.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    dscf0583yc0.jpg

Who makes it?

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    I hate to be a trouble maker, but I think we can all agree that the perfect deer rifle depends heavily on the hunting technique being employed, what the presentation of the deer will be and the expected distance to targets.

If I'm hunting on a treestand in the thic swamp waiting for a deer to run by ahead of the dogs, I might want a 10gauge Shotgun with some 000 buck.

whereas, If I'm hunting in a large box stand over a pipeline that gives me 1000 yards of view in two directions, I might choose a heavy barreled bolt action.

Can we narrow this down?

Otherwise, I'm gonna grab my new DPMS 260-L with 129Grn Hornady SSTs topped with a Weaver 3x10x40 Tactical Grand SLam. Maybe not the best for any one scenario but will excell in all roles.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I hate to be a trouble maker, but I think we can all agree that the perfect deer rifle depends heavily on the hunting technique being employed, what the presentation of the deer will be and the expected distance to targets.

If I'm hunting on a treestand in the thic swamp waiting for a deer to run by ahead of the dogs, I might want a 10gauge Shotgun with some 000 buck.

whereas, If I'm hunting in a large box stand over a pipeline that gives me 1000 yards of view in two directions, I might choose a heavy barreled bolt action.

Can we narrow this down?

Otherwise, I'm gonna grab my new DPMS 260-L with 129Grn Hornady SSTs topped with a Weaver 3x10x40 Tactical Grand SLam. Maybe not the best for any one scenario but will excell in all roles.

I agree.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    There are good deer rifles and bad deer rifles, short range deer rifles and long range deer rifles, light ones heavy ones scoped ones and ironsigted ones, tricked out ones and simple ones ....but there aint no perfect one...sometimes you get close.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    The perfect deer rifle is the one you have in your hands the moment you squeeze that trigger and watch your prey fall in your sights. Even if it's an old "Rust Bucket."

bayoucellar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    St.Martinville, LA
    In my opinion, a .270 is the best all around caliber for deer hunting. There is not an animal in North American that cannot be stopped with a .270. I hunt with 300 Weatherby mag. Why, I dunno know, just feels right. All that being said, I would venture to say that more deer have been killed in the US with a Winchester 30-30 than any other rifle. It was the weapon of choice in the early days of hunting and is still a favorite of many deer hunters.

Mike

Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    This is my long range deer set up. 500yd shot when it's clear.
    1290571995.jpg

Typical that this girl stepped out 30yds away on Sunday morning.
    1stdeer2010.jpg

No disrespect meant here......

hopefully we have not fallen to call this " hunting "

Don't get me wrong, I'd do it if I could afford it, but for me its a climbing stand and an AK...on not so public land:squint:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    So being setup on a pipeline with the equipment to be able to take shots out to 600 because he practices and has the gear to do it is not hunting. WTF hand.

Agreed most people do not have the gear to make shots at that range. And if you handed them the gear they wouldn't know what to do with it. But thinking hunting with an AK in a climber is more of a challenge than what this guy is doing?

I apologize if I am way off base here but WOW.

Hunting is hunting period in a tree with an AK, bow ect. Or on a mountain top with optics and the caliber to take 1000+ yard shots. What it comes down to is what is a challenge and seems exciting to you. Sitting in a tree with the max shot of 100ish yards is not my personal opinion of a good time. IMO I am not hunting I am waiting to see if a deer shows up. Now start stretching out to shots and that increases the difficulty and thus the challenge to me personally.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom