Tallow Creek Shooting Grounds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    So has anyone been here before? I'm gonna take my professor shooting tommorow since he has never shot a gun before. Is there another range closer to Hammond?

Thanks,
    Chow

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I've been once several years ago, this was pre-Katrina, and their facilities were a bit...sparse. I think the local chapter of SASS had been based there but moved somewhere else. When I went, though, it was with another LEO and as we were the only two there at the time, they trusted us on the line without anyone staring over our shoulder, that was a nice change.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    If this is the one in Covington, I'm not sure you will ever see another one worse. The pistol side isn't bad I guess you just shoot at your targets they had some for free the only time I was out there. On the rifle side they have wooden benches to shoot from that is for two people so shooting while someone else is shooting 2 feet from you isn't the problem. The problem is the benches are wobbly so trying to aim while the guy next to you is firing away makes it difficult. Then when you walk down range if someone is shooting clays on the other side of the berm/levee to your right you will be pelted with pellets.

No rapid fire or FMJs allowed. $10 bucks and hour.

I just had a bad time when I was out there, I know several people who use it with no problems.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    i was going to bring the sig and xd out there. so is this place indoors or out? i guess i need to call these guys about targets and such. any other places close to hammond you guys can recommend?

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    Its not the greatest place, but i go often because it is close. It has a 100 yard range for the rifles and the handgun range is ok. If you want to just go shoot for an hour or so its not bad, esp during the week not many people is out there. There free targets sucks ass, just print up some free targets on line if you dont want to go buy some. mytargets.com targetz.com protargets.com

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    The police range in Amite is open to the public every Saturday morning.

This is correct....but with a caveat.

The range is reserved for use by the local semi-IDPA club on the first Saturday of each month. You will be welcomed by them and invited to shoot the match with them (cost is around $15-20), but that the only way you'll be able to shoot there on the 1st Saturday.

The club matches are subject to cancellation due to rain or muddy conditions............if this happens, you'll be able to shoot there just like any other Saturday.

P7M8

"IE" Chantilly Import
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Metro New Orleans Area
    I shoot the unsanctioned IDPA match in Amite. Great group of guys. New shooters are always welcome. They do 6 strings with three groups of shooters. Halfway through you take a short break while they set up the last three stages.

Hammer down @ 9am. Usually out of there by 2:30pm.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    I shoot the unsanctioned IDPA match in Amite. Great group of guys. New shooters are always welcome. They do 6 strings with three groups of shooters. Halfway through you take a short break while they set up the last three stages.

Hammer down @ 9am. Usually out of there by 2:30pm.

how would one go about getting into this. Im a LEO and Id like to start shooting some comp stuff.

nastynewt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2007
    Franklinton/Houma LA
    So has anyone been here before? I'm gonna take my professor shooting tommorow since he has never shot a gun before. Is there another range closer to Hammond?

Thanks,
    Chow

asianpersuasion what time will you be at the range I live 15 mins from it? maybe I could do some shooting with you if i find a babysitter.
    Keith

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    asianpersuasion what time will you be at the range I live 15 mins from it? maybe I could do some shooting with you if i find a babysitter.
    Keith

I think he already went. The OP was from Oct '07 :D

But where do you live?? I live in Hammond. Pretty close to Tallow as well.

Top Bottom