Tallow Creek

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    Covington
    Have any of you been there recently? Have they made any improvements or at least cleaned up some?

I was told that it is up for sale, I thought that they had already sold it. I don't think they would get approved for another range with all the new houses everywhere. I guess if it sells they will be done with it or lease it back to run the range. Last time I was there it was even more messy than normal and I could barely get down the road. I don't think they are interested it running it anymore.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    The owner is selling it as dvelopment acreage. A little over 2 million for 180 acres. He's taking all the gun range equipment with him to stat a new gun range off traino rd. In ponchatoula

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I would've loved to buy that place and fix it up. Great location, crap range. Apparently it's too good of a location...I can't swing $2,000,000 at the moment.

RickyT

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR #413
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Bedico
    Last I heard the development thing fell through. Something about all the lead has to be cleaned out by shaving 1 foot of earth out and replacing it. I imagine anyone purchasing it doesn't want to have to pay to have it done. The place is still a mess, run down beyond belief. I also heard that they got into a little trouble back on traino landing because they started moving dirt in or around and ran into some hassle with wetlands folks because they didn't have approval or something and was told to stop.

Ike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    Covington
    It has been a long time since I have been. I was going on a weekly basis for a short while then monthly. I remember almost getting stuck in a hole in the road and garbage spread around, the same garbage that was there from the last time I had been.

From what I remember of the place it wouldn't take too much work to make it much nicer to use. Grate the road, fill in the low spots in the target areas, repair the falling apart wood structures. Maybe build some moveable target holders for the pistol side.

Grim333

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Madisonvile, La.
    I drove past the place last week. It had been raining. The road in looked really bad. A car pulled in just ahead of me, and they stopped; they weren't willing to try it and neither was I.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    They made so much money off Katrina they could make that place perfect. How many transient workers did they have staying on their land after the storm? Ass loads. Then they also had FEMA/Parish bringing in fallen tress there and burning it all, so they had a government contract and I know those contracts they were issuing were big $$$

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I drove past the place last week. It had been raining. The road in looked really bad. A car pulled in just ahead of me, and they stopped; they weren't willing to try it and neither was I.

Road is fine.

Last I heard the sale fell through.

Tallow Creek is focused far more on sporting clays than on their rifle/handgun range. The clays layout is OK, but overall, the facility is poorly run and is considered one of the "bottom tier" clays courses.

What they do have going for them is their proximity to N.O. and Covington. Not many other clays courses that close -- sort of a captive audience.

CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    I went to Tallow Creek about once/week from March thru August. Last time there I had to wait about 20 min. for others who arrived later to get set up...no complaint there, is part of shooting at ranges...

When I started shooting I couldn't see my groupings thru the spotting scope because of the morning sun. After 5 minutes I decided to come back to the range later in the day, when the sun would shine on the targets instead.

Was charged the $10 for an hour by the owner, and when that happened I told him I'd never be back again. And I meant it!

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    Took a trip to Tallow Creek today. All was well there. The pistol/rifle range was well run. We were able to change targets quickly and often enough to accomodate all the folks on both the pistol and rifle ranges. I was pleased, and I'll go back again.

jesse

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Mandeville
    I went to this place today looking to shoot my new AR. This was my first time there, and whoa is it a dump. The road sucks, the wood looks like it's about to collapse and the people are not quite friendly. I won't be back.

Top Bottom