Tallow Creek

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Hammond
    No rapid fire on either the rifle or pistol ranges. No FMJ on the rifle range. Minor annoyances for something that's close by and accessable.

I didn't consider it minor. I shoot ball in my AR and on my first and last visit was told to put all ball ammo back into my truck. I put myself along with my ammo in my truck and have never returned. Sadly it's only a 15 minute drive from my house.

When I go to a range I don't go to putz around. I go to shoot. Double taps. triple taps, whatever. I shoot anywhere from 10 feet to 100 yards and if I want to place 20 rounds down range in 3 seconds or less I want to be able to do that.

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    When I go to a range I don't go to putz around. I go to shoot. Double taps. triple taps, whatever. I shoot anywhere from 10 feet to 100 yards and if I want to place 20 rounds down range in 3 seconds or less I want to be able to do that.

Yeah, well double and triple taps from a bench rest don't make much sense, but whatever floats your boat.

I hope you find a place to your liking somewhere else.

dirtdigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    covington,la.
    where exactly is the range at honey island, in covington , and tallow isn't the greatest to go shoot, i have a lot of pistols , and a few rifles to get sighted?

tudobem

Non-conformist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Hammond
    I agree with most of the replies here--total ********. No FMJ is an absolutely ridiculous rule. Also hate having to drive through a half mile of mudholes to get there.

While I have not been to Honey Island yet, I will be checking it out soon. I can say that I had a really good experience recently at Nick's shooting range in Garyville. It's on Airline Hwy right across from the Marathon refinery just North of LaPlace/Reserve. A little more expensive ($18 one time visit, $65 annual membership plus $5 per visit, or $175 unlimited annual membership with no per visit fee), but very friendly and helpful folks. They are also open during the week (except Tuesdays) unlike Honey Island. Went there to sight in my rifle and the guy lent me a spotting scope and sandbag/bench rest without me even asking. Covered firing line with cement floor and cement benches, and sturdy target frames to mount targets to. They have a store on site too, with a pretty decent inventory of guns, targets, ammo, etc. And no ridiculous restrictions on FMJ.....;-)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom