tapping a bb gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djrpm

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hello all,

After a recent camping trip, I decided to purchase the bare bones daisy 105 buck bb gun from academy for $20. We had a raccoon problem, and the bb gun was a welcome companion on the trip, so I wanted one.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/sports/air_guns/air_guns&start=8&selectedSKU=0348-00761-0105

After a little research and tinkering, I came across this website for a no smith mount for the red ryder.

http://www.chiefaj.com/aj_bb_gun_size.htm

I have a ruger 10/22 weaver rail that would be perfect. I was just wondering if anyone had a tutorial anywhere for tapping an air rifle.

The open sights are good up to 10 yards, but I figured if I could toy around with a red dot, I could probably get it sighted in for 25 so I can shoot off the back porch and not right up on the target.

Thanks

Ryan

Last edited:

djrpm

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Finished!

Well, I had my doubts, but I went ahead and tried it anyway.

Items needed:

-Weaver style 10/22 rail
    **I suggest using a picatinny rail if you have one, but I used the weaver since it was lying around.**
    -Small steel or brass punch
    -3/32" drill bit (pilot hole)
    -1/8" drill bit

Steps:

1) Remove top stock screw
    2) Thread stock screw through rear hole of the rail

**Note: I turned my rail backwards so that the two holes that are close together were still on the wooden stock. This allowed me to use the wood of the stock as extra support for the screw.

3) Re-install stock screw with rail
    4) Align rail by hand
    5) Punch the first hole at the farthest end from the stock screw
    6) Install rail screw via hand drill or drill press (I only had access to a hand drill)

**Note: The metal is soft and thin. I did not need to tap the hole at all; the screw still locked up.

7) Drill remaining holes and install screws.

**Note: The second screw from the front interfered with the cocking lever. You can either back out the screw until it clears, or file it down to the proper length. I did not use the screws that came with the rail, I used some that were a little longer. I just backed the screw out. I will probably grind it down later.

8) Remove screws and apply loctite if you want to. I used the removealbe blue loctite.

Overall, a success. I used the $35 Tasco red dot from Academy. I had just enough clearance. Over the rear stock screw. I could not mount it up further due to the restricitons of the weaver slots and rear sight.

I had a shoot out with my friend in the yard. He has the open sights, I had the dot. I shot 7/10, he shot 4/10.

Last edited:

djrpm

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wanted to be able to adjust the sight so that I do not need to do any kentucky windage. I can now shoot point of aim within the confines of my backyard. I even made a baffled bb trap so that I dont riddle the fence with bb's and to recollect shot bb's. I'm goning to make a more permanent trap later. It is now my favorite play toy.

I need to post a video whenever I get someone to film me. It's a ton of fun.

Last edited:

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Lol... I was thinkin about putting one on my sling shot!! :crazy:

In case you thought you were joking:

http://www.catsdomain.com/order2.htm

ops52.jpg

Staff online