Target rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cheap shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    crowley
    I'm looking for a rifle to use for target shooting and also for my son to deer hunt.im wanting something to shoot 600yds but with little recoil.how would something in 223-243 do at that range shooting targets not deer. I'm thinking of buying a used 700 or savage and doing a bull barrel and custom stock. Mainly looking for advice and suggestions.
    Thanks

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    243 is awesome if you're reloading. i gave up on the 223 game just because it gets pushed so bad by the wind even when pushing 80gr pills. I'm trying out 6.5cm because i can get hornady off the shelf and it shoots great. 140gr bullets have done well for hunting.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    A 6mm such as .243Win, 6mm Creedmoor, 6XC, 6BR, 6-6.5x47L, ect. should work very well out to your intended distances and recoil will be very light. Also do not discount the 6.5mm calibers such as 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x47Lapua or .260 Remington. There will be slighty more recoil but not much and the rounds would carry a bit more energy for harvestig game. If you do not reload I would suggest .243Win or 6.5 Creedmoor.

However, a target rifle is a target rifle and a hunting rifle is a hunting rifle. The former is heavier with a heavier barrel where weight and length are not much of a concern and they allow for longer strings of fire and lighter recoil. The latter is lighter and possibly shorter with a thinner barrel contour that will start to affect group size when longer strings of rapid fire are shot. Trying to do both there will be compromises which may be acceptable depending on your desires.

Remington 700 in 7mm STW. I have one and the kick is honestly less than my .243 believe it or not.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Not! Get a 180 up to its potential in 7STW vs say a 105 or 115 in .243Win (both of which are heavy for caliber) and there is no way. It's Physics and I know Theriot and Hibbler taught you that. Now both of which can be manageable depending on rifle weight, muzzle brakes, recoil pad and shooting position.

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    I have a Remington 700 Varmint barreled 6mm that shoots 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. Doesn't kick much at all and the 6mm is a much better round to reload than a .243. Barney88PDC is right on

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Ahh yes you are correct. Let me qualify: my stainless remington 700 in 7mm STW with the brake has less perceived recoil than my box - stock 700 in .243 without brake. When I think "target" I think "long range" and when I think "long range" I think "fast and heavy". I have found the STW to be more economical in shooting than many of the other "fast and heavy" rounds. Of course mine has the intended purpose of killing at 600 yds...

But yes barney, you are correct. Now who am I talking to?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Honestly if you want the best target rifle, pick something you can afford to shoot, buy 5 of the same rifles, break them all in and find the best shooter out of them all and sell the other 4. This will probably be the best bet to putting you on the right track. It takes work, time, science, and money to play that game for sure.

I like the living/moving targets myself :)

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Agreed about the 6.5...I'd pick 6.5x284 norma. I've seen one of these rifles sighted in at 500 and was EXTREMELY impressed. This thing DESTROYED. A deer as well. There was so much hydra shock that the entire rib area was just vaporized.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Take 6mm Creedmoor shooting a 105 Hybrid (heavy for caliber) going 3120 fps (fast by most standards). When I think long range I think 600+ yards. Shooting this compared to a 7mm, the bullets are cheaper, the brass is cheaper and you are burning about 50% less powder. The barrel life is equal or better so on all accounts it is "cheaper". All of this is done with less recoil while being equal in drop 6.6 Mils at 1000 yards and slightly worse in the wind 1.8 Mil vs 1.5 (about 15% more drift) 10mph cross wind at 1500 DA. (Berger 6mm 105 hybrid 3120fps vs Berger 7mm 180 VLD 3000fps.) If you need to carry the down range energy for harvesting game at 600+ yards I agree a 7mm or 30cal magnum would be better fit for purpose. However anyone truely capable of taking shots on game at that distance wouldn't be asking for advice as they would already have this much figured out.

As far as gun price, buying one custom rifle that will all but be guaranteed to shoot 1/4 MOA with the right load would be far and above cheaper and more accurate than buying 5 factory guns and taking a loss on 4 of them by selling them off and keeping the best one. I'd bet that one custom gun chambered and throated for the proper bullet would out shoot the "best" factory one as well.

I 100% agree with you on picking one you can afford to shoot as like you said it takes time, money, effort and science to deliver rounds on target at distance. You can read about it to close some of the gap in learning curve but there is no teacher like rounds down range. Up and down is easy but the wind will make you her bitch. I also think the 7mm's are where it's at for LR hunting. Get those 180 Bergers close to or over 3000 fps and they preform ridicliously well in both external and terminal ballistics.

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    656 yards exit wound. The deer was quartering towards me, round went in just behind the shoulder and exited where you see. 180 Berger Hunting VLD 2965 fps
    ru2utehe.jpg

Not shot by me but with same bullet and velocity. Poor shot placement but this is what the projectile did. This deer HAS NOT been touched with a knife. 180 yards

y3u9y5a3.jpg

160 yards in the motor.

nebe7uge.jpg

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    That really puts an end to the "what caliber is the best deer round ever?" argument....LOL
    An accurate rifle and placement trumps caliber every time

Top Bottom