Taurus G3 TORO

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Recently I’ve become a Fan of the newer Taurus handguns. After picking up a TX22 for around $300 and being absolutely thrilled I decided that combined with all the hype surrounding the G2c was enough to give the g3c a try and I’m certainly glad I did. Today I stopped at Academy to buy ammo and after paying for my ammo to my surprise they had a G3 toro in stock along with one other 9mm handgun. The gun comes with one flush fit 15rd magazine and one 17rd magazine w/ grip extension made by mec gar. The G3 is about the same size as a Glock 19 with a 4* barrel. The T.O.R.O version stands for Taurus Optic Ready Option. It comes with 4 different plates to accept most options available.

just some quick things I figured out already, the slide and frame on the g3 and g3c are interchangeable. I’ll attach some pictures for anyone interested. Using the G3 slide on the G3C frame actually looks like a pretty cool combination. The G3 actually comes with a dust cover which leads me to believe maybe Taurus did this intentionally? The G3C slide on the G3 frame not so much. Although I’m sure it would work I’m not sure why someone would want too. Also the G3 barrel will fit in the g3c. Once I get a chance to get to the range I will leave some feedback on my thoughts for anyone who may care. I plan on running a good 500 rounds through it first session mixed fmj and jhp.

the first picture is the G3. The second picture is the combination of the two slides and frames.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I was wondering when Taurus would jump on the MRD wagon. Especially after I saw SCCY come out with a milled slide version of their little pistols. I’ve invested a little in the Taurus pistols over the years and for the small amount I’ve spent per handgun I’ve been very satisfied. I hear a lot on both sides of the fence and I’ve only ever found myself on the positive side. At an average of $200 per gun, I’ve always felt I’d gotten way more than my money’s worth. I’ll have to count, but I think I currently own 11 Taurus pistols.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I was wondering when Taurus would jump on the MRD wagon. Especially after I saw SCCY come out with a milled slide version of their little pistols. I’ve invested a little in the Taurus pistols over the years and for the small amount I’ve spent per handgun I’ve been very satisfied. I hear a lot on both sides of the fence and I’ve only ever found myself on the positive side. At an average of $200 per gun, I’ve always felt I’d gotten way more than my money’s worth. I’ll have to count, but I think I currently own 11 Taurus pistols.
    After just running 450 rounds through the G3, I can only speak for the g3c, TX22, and now G3 I’m highly satisfied. What I love is they are not just good guns for the money, they are just good guns. They would easily fetch double if a name like Glock or sig was stamped on the slide imo.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    After just running 450 rounds through the G3, I can only speak for the g3c, TX22, and now G3 I’m highly satisfied. What I love is they are not just good guns for the money, they are just good guns. They would easily fetch double if a name like Glock or sig was stamped on the slide imo.
    I hear ya. Sounds like you’ve been lucky as well. I keep waiting for one of mine to fail, but only because I’ve heard stories. I think some folks just want them to be problematic guns. I think Sig and FN has had more problems over the past few years than Taurus has. But that’s just me.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I hear ya. Sounds like you’ve been lucky as well. I keep waiting for one of mind to fail, but only because I’ve heard stories. I think some folks just want them to be problematic guns. I think Sig and FN has had more problems over the past few years than Taurus has. But that’s just me.
    I have never heard of a story personally of someone who has owned one of the three Taurus guns I mentioned and did not have a good experience. other than the occasional negative YouTube video or internet post that you can find on any model or make gun. Anyone I’ve known or spoken too personally has loved them.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Range Report

I had the chance to take the G3 to the range yesterday. I ran exactly 450 rounds through it.

50rd of Winchester white box 147gr JHP
    25rd Federal 124gr hst
    17rd Hornady critical duty 135gr + p
    50rd 124gr fmj
    308rd 115gr fmj ( various brands )

First and Foremost, the G3 came from the Factory absolutely caked in grease. Not something that bothers me too much however it is definitely excessive to the point the slide would hang up out of the box because of how much grease was caked into the rails. After a quick wipe down with some balistol it was good to go. Not much difference at all from the G3C to the G3 other than size. Out of the box the gun did shoot slightly low and left. When getting home and using a boat site I could see it wasn’t just my bad shooting and the rear site was actually slightly off to the left. It’s a steel fixed site so after a few taps it seems to be in place now. I also installed a tandemkross spare fiber optic front site on it that I had extra from my TX22.

If anyone paid attention to my review about the G3C you will see how I tried installing a stainless steel striker channel from lakeline llc but could not get it to function properly without causing the slide to drag and hang up. I decided to give it a shot in the G3 and it dropped right in and works perfectly. I don’t feel like I need to go on and on. No question Taurus does not have the best track record however as of late with the G series of pistols and the TX22 I couldn’t be more happy with them. I’ve been looking into the Taurus TH9 and considering giving it a go as well.

Last edited:

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I have the TX22 and TX22 Competition. Both great guns though I never been a fan of Taurus due to experience with their revolvers and PT99. These guns have upped their reputation. Only complaint is rear sight on TX22 and the TX22 competition optic plate was not tight when I mounted the optic.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I hear ya. Sounds like you’ve been lucky as well. I keep waiting for one of mind to fail, but only because I’ve heard stories. I think some folks just want them to be problematic guns. I think Sig and FN has had more problems over the past few years than Taurus has. But that’s just me.

I think one needs to be specific about Taurus guns.

People have problems with their plastic semi guns of early generations.

The G2 and G3 guns appear to be pretty solid. Their 1911 and 92 generally seem to work fine if in good working order (I replaced an extractor on a well used PT92)

I usually carry a 605 that I got on here years ago. It was well used when I got it...... I've shot it a lot and it works fine.

Some were pretty bad though.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    My carry gun is a Taurus 709 Slim 9mm and I have been extremely happy with it. It has always functioned flawlessly. I see people bash Taurus but I own 3 different Taurus handguns and I have never had any problems.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    This is what I expected to see in this review.

i followed the other review on the G3c, had been interested in the thing since it was the 111, then G2, the G3/G3C had just enough upgrades and the 3rd mag to get me to try it.

like Stud, I already had the TX22, best 22 I have ever used, just got a 2nd one, love the TX22. Same now for this G3C.

I actually shoot this better than my Glock, the finish seems better on the Glock, but otherwise this Taurus series can give other companies a good run for their money.

I read somewhere the G2 is/was one of the best sellers in handguns in general.

I don’t see the G3 in my future, but see the Toro being a good seller for sure.

Have you gotten an optic for it yet?

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    Never a fan of Taurus, always heard they are bad, like COVID bad.

I always liked the pt111, and the PT92, but never owned one.

I finally Got to be a Taurus fan, when I:

saw all the great reviews on the TX22, now I own 2
    got a G3c, love this pistol too,
    found out I have more........
    heard they own Rossi, I picked up a 22 rifle for $80 new at Sportsman’s runs perfectly, like my G3C, & TX22’s, it’s the SR22
    I also heard they own the Heritage Arms, well damn, I got one of those for plinking years ago.

Now I have more from Taurus than I do Glock or Sig!

i did finally get a few issues however. My 1st couple of jams in the 22lr, 3 out of 2,500+ rounds in the TX22’s

Also a FTF, did fire with my handy dandy re-strike capable G3C, this only happened using Academy Monarch steel cased ammo. Thinking hard primers as the fired on the re-strike.

StephenC

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just throwing this out there. I am not some snob. I've never been a snob, never will be. I didn't really know jack about guns unless the Army issued it to me. To give you an idea, until all this crazy s*** last year, all I had civilian was a P226 and S&W 4" .38 Special. I didn't know what a good pull was on an AR trigger, because all I knew was Mil-Spec grit.

With that being said:
    I had seen a bunch of good reviews about the G3 and G2. I really wanted to get one based upon the reviews. But every time, I picked one up at the store, it just felt cheap and unreliable. It felt gritty racking it and not sturdy and well made. The last time I was buying I picked up a G2C and I wanted to like it but it felt terrible. I ended up buying another Canik, this one a TP9SC Elite for $430: $30 more than what I've seen the T.O.R.O. going for with the micro RMR footprint (I've got a Swampfox Sentinel on it) as well. If I had deeper pockets and just could throw money, I'd get a G3 because I'm really curious... but for what little I do/did have, I can't justify not springing for the Canik (unless thickness is a deciding factor).

Top Bottom