Taurus PT92/Beretta 92FS fans?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sillyolbutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    my buddy has a 92 elite. freaking sweet gun. i thought about getting one, but wouldnt be a best for a first gun. too big for me. maybe someday. i really like the 92a1. all abotu the rail.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    A large percentage of the handguns I have seen with issues as they were being used by their owners were Taurus. Most buy them because they are inexpensive and many have issues.

Spare201

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Gretna
    Mine has a smooth semi-circular trigger guard. Is that what makes the 92sb different from the other that have the pointy trigger guard?

Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    My first firearm was a Taurus pt101, the 40 caliber version of the pt92 with adjustable rear sight. Back then, I thought it was the best pistol in the world. I shot it accurately, too. I was so confident in its accuracy and my abilities in it that I challenged my friends with their hk usp's and SA xd's. I just knew my gun that well. I knew even at the highest adjustment on the rear sight, it shot low; so I compensated for it by lining up the 3-dots in a triangle.
    Then, one day the take down lever broke and flew downrange while firing. I knew then that the Taurus was not the best manufactured firearm. So I eventually got a Beretta 92fs. Wow! It was an eye-opener. 800 rounds later and nothing broke. The finish is superior; the tolerances and fit are superior; and the action was noticeably smoother.
    Taurus may have acquired the Beretta factory, but they definitely missed the Berreta quality and attention to detail.

Last edited:

Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    I agree. I like the Beretta but, as far as the 92 goes I think Taurus has them beat. Speaking of Beretta, I have another PX4 in 45 coming in shortly. I already have the 9mm. Another good Beretta product in my view.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I saw another Taurus today that would only fire one round and double feed every time. The owner could not remove the magazine by himself the last time and it was difficult for the two of use to remove the magazine in order to clear the last double feed. He borrowed a revolver to shoot and the Taurus is going back to Taurus. Two weeks in a row one Taurus being shot and both are going back to Taurus to be repaired.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I saw another Taurus today that would only fire one round and double feed every time. The owner could not remove the magazine by himself the last time and it was difficult for the two of use to remove the magazine in order to clear the last double feed. He borrowed a revolver to shoot and the Taurus is going back to Taurus. Two weeks in a row one Taurus being shot and both are going back to Taurus to be repaired.

Not a PT92 though?

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Not a PT92 though?

So should we not hold their entire line of firearms to the same standard?
    If a GLOCK 27 fails we don't say well it wasn't a 17.... So the 17 is still fine. That isn't how it works. Now I begin to question my G17,G19, etc.
    The same guidelines apply do they not?
    Or does Taurus have their "bread and butter" gun where they pay the most attention to it? If that is the case I am pretty sure I don't want to do business with them anyway. I own a singe Taurus 24/7 9mm pro. It was my first gun. I do not hate them nor do I praise them. It has never given me a problem but would I go to it over a higher quality and more dependable gun.... No.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Not a PT92 though?

So should we not hold their entire line of firearms to the same standard?
    If a GLOCK 27 fails we don't say well it wasn't a 17.... So the 17 is still fine. That isn't how it works. Now I begin to question my G17,G19, etc.
    The same guidelines apply do they not?
    Or does Taurus have their "bread and butter" gun where they pay the most attention to it? If that is the case I am pretty sure I don't want to do business with them anyway. I own a singe Taurus 24/7 9mm pro. It was my first gun. I do not hate them nor do I praise them. It has never given me a problem but would I go to it over a higher quality and more dependable gun.... No.

It's because the 92 is such an awesome design that Taurus even has problems screwing it up.

Not really hating on Taurus, I own a few. No PT92s though. That would be blasphemy. My other 92's would never stand for it.......

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    It's because the 92 is such an awesome design that Taurus even has problems screwing it up.

Not really hating on Taurus, I own a few. No PT92s though. That would be blasphemy. My other 92's would never stand for it.......

Ha. Great last sentence.

I just can't deal with the slide safety that is activated differently from every other safety I own.

That's the ONLY reason I own the PT92. I love the Berretta, but can't/don't want to retrain my thumb.

leeshall

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Suburban NOLA
    Regarding the high(er) capacity magazines Beretta makes for the 92; these were originally designed for the select fire, machine pistol version Beretta has offered for years to Military contracts. Glock also makes a machine pistol verson of their pistol for military contracts. You may have seen Gunny Ermy shooting the full auto Glock on his old show on the History Channel. I think it was called "Mail Call". Anyway, back to the select fire Beretta, remember the movie "Robocop"? The full auto pistol used by Robocop was a modified for the movies special effects Beretta select fire machine pistol. If memory serves me, John Travolta used the Beretta machine pistol in the movie "Broken Arrow". So anyway, the VERY high capacity mags for the Beretta 9mm have been around for a long time, just not widely available.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Regarding the high(er) capacity magazines Beretta makes for the 92; these were originally designed for the select fire, machine pistol version Beretta has offered for years to Military contracts. Glock also makes a machine pistol verson of their pistol for military contracts. You may have seen Gunny Ermy shooting the full auto Glock on his old show on the History Channel. I think it was called "Mail Call". Anyway, back to the select fire Beretta, remember the movie "Robocop"? The full auto pistol used by Robocop was a modified for the movies special effects Beretta select fire machine pistol. If memory serves me, John Travolta used the Beretta machine pistol in the movie "Broken Arrow". So anyway, the VERY high capacity mags for the Beretta 9mm have been around for a long time, just not widely available.

Beretta 93R

I remember reading Mack Bolan books in high school and his favorite side arm was a Beretta 93R with a folding stock.

DSC00015.jpg

Top Bottom