Taurus TCP 738 for CCW

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sirbiggstixx

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Today I was at a pawn shop by my work, and they have a like new Taurus tcp 738 blue and they are asking 209$ for it, 2 mags and the bulldog case... What is everyones thought on this little gun as a CCW... Most reviews and youtube videos were very positive, some people had negative things to say about them, but they were also bashing them before their break in periods.. comes with lifetime warranty, even tho taurus's customer service is supposed to suck

Last edited:

NRA Iota

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    The Suburbs of Iota
    I have one....and I like it. I carry in a pocket holster for everyday wear. Pretty darn accurate...have about 300 rounds through it with no jams or hangups.
    Just be advised that it is a .380...need precise placement of shots to be effective. I have it loaded with Golden Sabre HP.
    Overall I give it a 8 out of 10. If you need more details...let me know.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Today I was at a pawn shop by my work, and they have a like new Taurus tcp 738 blue and they are asking 209$ for it, 2 mags and the bulldog case... What is everyones thought on this little gun as a CCW... Most reviews and youtube videos were very positive, some people had negative things to say about them, but they were also bashing them before their break in periods.. comes with lifetime warranty, even tho taurus's customer service is supposed to suck

The issue with Taurus is... its a hit and miss. One could work flawlessly, and another could shoot every two or three rounds before FTF or FTE.

Just be advised that it is a .380...need precise placement of shots to be effective.

Male bovine feces. Lots of folks carry .380; there's no research to back up that fallacy.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge

The gun is probably worth $209.

The problem is, it's only worth about $209.

You are not likely to find a reliable self-defense handgun in that price range. Youtube videos are usually not a great source, nor are personal reviews -- because so many "fanboys" want to validate (in their own minds) the choice that they made. And truthfully, some of those folks nay have gotten a "good one." But as deafdave said, it's very much a "hit or miss" proposition.

If you stick with M&P's, Glocks, HK's and (some) SIGs, you are far less likely to end up with a "lemon." I would buy any of these in used condition before I would consider a Taurus, a Sigma, a Rossi or a Kel-Tec.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    The gun is probably worth $209.

The problem is, it's only worth about $209.

You are not likely to find a reliable self-defense handgun in that price range. Youtube videos are usually not a great source, nor are personal reviews -- because so many "fanboys" want to validate (in their own minds) the choice that they made. And truthfully, some of those folks nay have gotten a "good one." But as deafdave said, it's very much a "hit or miss" proposition.

If you stick with M&P's, Glocks, HK's and (some) SIGs, you are far less likely to end up with a "lemon." I would buy any of these in used condition before I would consider a Taurus, a Sigma, a Rossi or a Kel-Tec.

I beg to differ. I've found quite a few Bersa handguns in that price range that have been nothing but reliable. Now, I'll be the first to admit that they are not known for beauty (some are down right ugly), but they are accurate and dependable.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I beg to differ. I've found quite a few Bersa handguns in that price range that have been nothing but reliable. Now, I'll be the first to admit that they are not known for beauty (some are down right ugly), but they are accurate and dependable.

I don't think we are in disagreement. You're talking about Bersa's, and I was talking about self-defense handguns.:rolleyes:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Dave your wrong...again. there is quite a bit of research demonstrating .380acp to be ****. Tons of research. And I asked you once before and you tucked tail; how much do you shoot? Bersa makes garbage, cheap guns. Im glad you like them but you have no basis for recommending them. You shot a couple dogs...swell. I know a guy who killed a man with a shovel. It worked great. No one reccommends carrying a shovel as a defensive weapon.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Dave your wrong...again. there is quite a bit of research demonstrating .380acp to be ****. Tons of research. And I asked you once before and you tucked tail; how much do you shoot? Bersa makes garbage, cheap guns. Im glad you like them but you have no basis for recommending them. You shot a couple dogs...swell. I know a guy who killed a man with a shovel. It worked great. No one reccommends carrying a shovel as a defensive weapon.

Show me the CREDIBLE research.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010

If you wanna know how much I shoot, I would just be guessing 1000 rounds a month, but that's not all .380.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-452210.html

That's authored by Gary Roberts DDS. He is an internationally recognized expert. He helps conduct test for the FBI.

You could also google Wound Ballistics Review, volume 4, number 2
    that's written by Dr. Martin Fackler. He's kinda credible to.

By what metrics would you like me to demonstrate that your Bersa is inferior? You pick the measurable and i'll send you the proof. Hopefully next time you have to gun down a dog some key internal component of your crap pistol doesn't shatter.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    You cannot be serious...

JR1572

A Glock always goes "bang". A Bersa always goes "bang". What's the difference?

Furthermore, expensive guns are bought and purchased for the same reason people buy expensive cars... to make themselves look good. I don't do that.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010

That's authored by Gary Roberts DDS. He is an internationally recognized expert. He helps conduct test for the FBI.

By what metrics would you like me to demonstrate that your Bersa is inferior? You pick the measurable and i'll send you the proof. Hopefully next time you have to gun down a dog some key internal component of your crap pistol doesn't shatter.

The Internet is not credible. "The High Road" is further not credible, trust me, I know.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

Top Bottom