Taxes on a vehicle if traded for something?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I've got a car that someone wants to trade me for guns/ammo. How do you work the taxes on that?

I think he values it around $1200 so if I trade him $1200 worth of items what do I pay as far as sales tax goes?

Could I just say I spent $200 on it and pay next to no tax? It's a 1994 with 200k+ miles on it but I trust the guy and he says it's reliable but a little "quirky". I'll know more tomorrow. Just trying to figure out how much money I need to actually transfer it into my name. Thanks in advance :)

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    He will have to transfer the title to your name at the DMV or a private business that does titles and they can help you with the tax. Someone more knowledgeable than me could help you better. You may have to prove it is a TRADE deal. Definitely wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to post.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Don't think the "Act of Donation" will work, believe it has to be a relative. The DMV will put a value on the vehicle on their own and this is what you pay taxes on. On a vehicle that is 20 years old there won't be a whole lot. The days of getting around taxes and the DMV have long past.

Beauxdog

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Don't think the "Act of Donation" will work, believe it has to be a relative. The DMV will put a value on the vehicle on their own and this is what you pay taxes on. On a vehicle that is 20 years old there won't be a whole lot. The days of getting around taxes and the DMV have long past.

Beauxdog

I don't think they do actually. I just bought a car and had 500 dollars on the bill of sale, which I had to present with the title. I paid cash for the car, and paid taxes on the 500

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    If you put too low a value on the bill of sale, they will catch on and charge tax on the value of the car from published reports. Put 3 or 4 hundred dollars and you should be ok. Look up the value in Kelly Blue Book or NADA.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Beauxdog
    You CAN do an act of donation and it does not have to be a relative. They will not put a value on it automatically at DMV.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    OMG Has changed their value chart. You can't claim a car is way less than the value anymore. They caught on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I believe the DMV will charge you the NADA value of the car if you tell them it's too low. But in the case of my supra, I told them it wasn't running. I think I paid ~180 dollars in taxes.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Tax fraud is still tax fraud. ;)

However it is very, very common, especially in Louisiana.

There is no exclusion from vehicle sales tax when property other than a vehicle is traded on another vehicle.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

Beauxdog

It doesn't.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    The price you'll pay is whatever you "agree" when getting your notarized bill of sale. Then you'll owe the taxes when you register it. Otherwise you'll owe no sales or capital gains tax.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom