Tc encore and browning x-bolt

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I am looking at the two rifles. I want to hear any feedback pertaining to experience with these rifles. They are two different actions and totally different but I'm torn on deciding which one I want. Was wanting a ruger no. 1 in the .300 but having trouble finding one (found a stainless and laminate but don't want tha). It will be in .300 mag and be coming with me to Alaska for a bear and moose hunt, shots ranging from 30 yards to 500 yards. The method in which the encore only extracts the shell and doesn't eject it worries me which is why I'm looking for feedback on the rifle.
    Would like to know about their for both,
    Trigger
    Accuracy
    Reliabilty

Thanks to anyone who can help with this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    If it were me, I'd go with the X bolt. I have two relatives, each with an Encore rifle. Both are very eratic in the accuracy department after multiple different ammo types were tried. The reality is, no hinged action can be expected to perform on a level with a bolt action, all things being considered. Part of the issue is the length of barrels encountered on most Encores, likely 26". That is a lot of weight suspended forward on that locking lug. Also, on an Alaskan hunt, I'd like to have the capability of a much quicker follow up shot the bolt action would provide.

Just my 2 cents.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    If it were me, I'd go with the X bolt. I have two relatives, each with an Encore rifle. Both are very eratic in the accuracy department after multiple different ammo types were tried. The reality is, no hinged action can be expected to perform on a level with a bolt action, all things being considered. Part of the issue is the length of barrels encountered on most Encores, likely 26". That is a lot of weight suspended forward on that locking lug. Also, on an Alaskan hunt, I'd like to have the capability of a much quicker follow up shot the bolt action would provide.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. The accuracy is a big deal. I had been reading and it was mixed. Seemed hit or miss.
    The guide recommended the ruger no.1 but I just can't locate one in my price range. Plenty in the range in 30-06 and the like just not magnums. I was also considering the a-bolt but read everywhere the x-bolt was a step up for the better.

I'm also on the fence with the scope.
    Thinking a leupold, vortex or the redfield.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    If you really care about accuracy call a few gunsmiths and ask them how many custom rifles have they built off of Browning actions.

Yea I've been told. I just want hunting rifle accuracy and consistency, I'm not out to win any competitions or spend $5000 on a rifle. Browning rifles have killed many species of game everywhere. My 7mm-08 a-bolt consistently shoots under 1" groups when I do my part.

I'm was set on the ruger no. 1 but the x-bolt is becoming a close contender.

I have two available on 30-06 but I want the .300 mag and possibly would take the .338 win mag.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    You are right about the comparison. Apples to oranges.
    Have you looked at the TC ICON?

Worth a look.
    yea the encore is out of the picture and after lots of reading so is the number one unfortunately. they just seem to have harmonic problems and need a good bit of tweaking to get acceptable accuracy/consistency outside of 250yds. Some say they get a tack driver from the factory and others have to stabilize the forend, bed, trigger, and loadwork etc. just not worth the risk to me if I am spending $1000.00 on the rifle.

crazy white boy

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St. Charles Parish Hahnville
    I have 4 complete Encore Rifles and have never had a accuracy issue with any of them. My 35 whelen and my 300 mag I have had a custom muzzle break installed on both by Jeremy Ellis in Prairieville and they are all tack drivers. The hinge pin is the only issue if you have slack if will affect your accuracy no slack means dead on accuracy. My 300 has about 29 inches of barrel on it with the break. If you want a custom barrel look at Match Grade Machine Works out of Utah my 308 barrel came from them,

DStewart

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    New Orleans
    My dad has 3 TC Encore rifles and has never had accuracy issues either. I have never heard of a hinge gun having lesser accuracy, and I mean in a hunting situation. I have rarely seen a human who can outshoot the gun they are shooting. I would buy the one that is most comfortable and you liked the best. If you want to bolt action and think you will miss the first time make sure to go with the X-Bolt ;) just picking. I like the encore better, but it's just my opinion as I like the single shot rifles for some reason.

Top Bottom