Teach Me Gunsmithing?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    Is there anyone in the southern Louisiana, southern Mississippi area who would be willing to teach me gunsmithing from square one? In particular, I'm interested in eventually learning how to properly smith M1, M14/M1A and AR15 rifles as well as 1911 style pistols.

The NRA multi-week classes look very interesting, but they are not in the cards, so a little local hands-on training would be appreciated. PM me if you've got something. Thanks.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I dont know about somebody "teaching" you how to do it locally, but there are 2 names that come to mind.

Lloyd Landry, he is in Baton Rouge and he might be willing to let you hang out at the shop in exchange of some clean up or organizing of the place (never know)

Mike Moore, he is in Arnaudville, he is an expert on pretty much ANYTHING he does, he custom builds rifles and does some BAD AZZ work on 1911's but I'm not sure if he would even be interested on something like that.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You'd be amazed at how much you can teach yourself if you're that thirsty for the knowledge. Buy up an old rifle, get a manual or look online on how to completely disassemble it/reassemble it, and learn the gun inside and out. Tips, tricks, and common fixes can be found in plenty of books on the subject. With that knowledge you would really be able to maximize and reap the greatest benefit from talking to an experienced gunsmith who is an expert with each model. For most full time gunsmiths time = money and they'll be MUCH more likely to give you suggestions on specific fixes for specific models rather than trying to educate you on a vast array of general knowledge that you can learn without them.

Top Bottom