Ted Nugent pleads no contest to deer baiting in CA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhp9mm

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    slidell,la
    MARYSVILLE, Calif. – Rocker and celebrity hunter Ted Nugent will have to pay a $1,750 fine after pleading no contest in California to baiting a deer and not having a properly signed hunting tag.

California Department of Fish and Game spokesman Patrick Foy says game wardens saw Nugent kill an immature buck on a February episode of his Outdoor Channel TV show "Spirit of the Wild."

Investigators found that the deer had been eating bait called "C'mere Deer." Baiting wildlife is illegal in California.

Nugent originally faced 11 charges, including killing a deer too young to be hunted. In a deal with Yuba County prosecutors, Nugent's attorney on Friday entered no contest pleas to the two misdemeanors.

Nugent did not appear in court. A spokeswoman for the musician did not immediately return messages late Tuesday.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Wow- I am completely stunned (that the pansies in California still allow deer hunting).

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Seems a little disappointing that Nugent would take an immature buck..., he should know better.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Seems a little disappointing that Nugent would take an immature buck..., he should know better.

If using c'mere deer is considered baiting in cali, I can only imagine what their idea of a "mature" buck is.

FWIW, Louisiana has no antler restrictions or baiting restrictions for deer. (Baiting birds is still a no-no. And you can't bait deer on WMA's)

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    If using c'mere deer is considered baiting in cali, I can only imagine what their idea of a "mature" buck is.

FWIW, Louisiana has no antler restrictions or baiting restrictions for deer. (Baiting birds is still a no-no. And you can't bait deer on WMA's)

That's what I was thinking, also. I was more shocked to hear he even went deer hunting out there.

If he killed an illegal deer, then I guess he was wrong. But FWIW, I do know that Nuge is a meat hunter, and he eats what he kills. And I may as well say that some of the best venison you can have for the table is from a young deer. ;)

Damn, now I feel like backstrap.
    sign0184.gif

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

I was thinking the same thing.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    According to California Fish and Game Commission

§351. Forked-Horn Buck, Antlerless and Either-Sex Deer Defined.

(a) Forked-Horn Buck Defined. For the purpose of these regulations a forked-horn buck is defined as a male deer having a branched antler on either side with the branch in the upper two-thirds of the antler. Eyeguards or other bony projections on the lower one-third of the antler shall not be considered as points or branches.

(b) Antlerless Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, antlerless deer are defined as female deer, fawns of either sex other than spotted fawns, and male deer with an unbranched antler on one or both sides which is not more than three inches in length.

(c) Either-Sex Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, either-sex deer are defined as antlerless deer as described in Section 351 (b), or legal bucks that have two or more points in the upper two-thirds of either antler. Spike bucks may not be taken.

(i) Except as otherwise provided, while taking or attempting to take big game under the provisions of Section 353 or Section 354, Title 14, CCR, it is unlawful to use any device or devices which: 1) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal; or 2) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal. Devices commonly referred to as "sniperscopes", night vision scopes or binoculars, or those utilizing infra-red, heat sensing or other non-visible spectrum light technology used for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal or providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal are prohibited and may not be possessed while taking or attempting to take big game. Devices commonly referred to as laser rangefinders, "red-dot" scopes with self-illuminating reticles, and fiberoptic sights with self illuminating sight or pins which do not throw, cast or project a visible light onto an animal are permitted.

Bag and Possession Limit: One buck, forked horn (see subsection 351(a)) or better per tag.

Not sure where he was hunting so the Bag and Possession Limit may be different. However, it would seem their law considers a Spike buck as an "Antlerless Deer". So if the bag and possession limit is only for One Buck or forked horn, then spikes are protected. That's ridiculous.

So I'm curious if that's what Uncle Ted shot? If so then it makes sense as those deer should be culled.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom