Tell me about Alexandria

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    Tioga and Ball are ideal for the quiet country life, Alex is only 10 minutes away with every store you might want to visit. The biggest consideration is where your children will go to school. Not only is the quality of education a concern, but the friends your boys make will have a huge impact on what they do for "fun" once they get old enough to roam the area.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    We have a few friends down there so I'm asking them about neighborhoods and schools. If I get the job and decide to move down there schools would be my primary concern. If move into the Alexandria area it would probably be private school at Grace Christian but if we move to the surrounding areas I'm still unclear on which school would be best.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Tioga and Ball are ideal for the quiet country life, Alex is only 10 minutes away with every store you might want to visit. The biggest consideration is where your children will go to school. Not only is the quality of education a concern, but the friends your boys make will have a huge impact on what they do for "fun" once they get old enough to roam the area.

Isay this with all the love in my heart.... What have you been smoking?

Sure we have the department stores, three walmarts and a chain restaurants but local stores are closing left, right and center. If they are here, they're outrageously overpriced or very limited stock. The department stores appear to get the upper city location's rejects. Dillard in Alexandria shops like a goodwill compared to Baton Rouge. And have you strolled through the mall lately? Less than half of the locations are rented out.

Mac204

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    CenLa
    I have lived in Alex nearly all my life. I grew up, and my parents still live, on the street parallel from mine. I am very near Grace Christian. I live in a decent area, but still have crime. Drug house down thr road is busted every few months. Had an islamofascist burn my American flag twice and stole it once. Had someone break in while I was home. Had my ADT alarm set, which scared him off. If he decided to look back he would have been further disuaded from any future B&E attempts by the sight of a big guy with a beard clearing every room and the driveway. Aside from that, a guy down the road killed his brother with a samauri sword abd 10 years ago a lady shot herself in thr head on thr corner of the road in her car. Best place to look at would probably be somewhere on 28w. They are putting up some new subdivisions there. All in all, its not terrible. You just gotta keep your eyes open and keep from getting complacent.

Btw, Alexandria is the 45th most dangerous city in the US.

Last edited:

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I understand crime is everywhere. I actually live in Stonewall which is just south of shreveport. We have meth labs, shootings, sexual predators, etc. I'd rather not live in the city but thought Alex safer than shreveport, where I work and play.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

Sure we have the department stores, three walmarts and a chain restaurants but local stores are closing left, right and center. If they are here, they're outrageously overpriced or very limited stock. The department stores appear to get the upper city location's rejects. Dillard in Alexandria shops like a goodwill compared to Baton Rouge. And have you strolled through the mall lately? Less than half of the locations are rented out.

+1

I went to the Alex mall a couple of years ago. Sorry, the nearest place to actually find stuff in person vs. the internet is the DFW area.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I understand crime is everywhere. I actually live in Stonewall which is just south of shreveport. We have meth labs, shootings, sexual predators, etc. I'd rather not live in the city but thought Alex safer than shreveport, where I work and play.

It's not, they are both roughly the same level of crime. Look at the index page I linked you to. If anything, Alex is worse. If you are white, you will be even more of a minority in Alex, as well, if you care about your status as minority/majority.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Nope, in Avoyelles Parish the first question is; "Whose ya Daddy boy" in a thick Coonass accent.

haha, well, I like that better at least. It's actually meaningful in some way vs. people around here trying to get a read on you based on what highschool you went to nearly a decade ago.

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA

When I go back to visit the folks I make every effort to stay on the Pineville side, going to the mall brings back all kinds of horrible memories and reminds me why I left. If I was to live there again I would get an Amazon Prime account and shop at the Lowe's in Pineville.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    I'm sorry you have to move there. I suggest the country north of town. It's nothing like Shreveport.....coming from someone who moved from Pineville to Shreveport.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    As far as the schools go, I went to school in Alex (ASH, Bolton, and Peabody), my kids are now in school in Pineville. If you are using the public school system, I much prefer the Pineville schools (Elementary through HS). In general, they seem to care more about the kids, IMO.

I don't go to the mall unless there is no other choice. When I do, it's right into the store I need and right back out (Sears, JC Penney). Never go into the mall itself. In fact, I don't shop in Alex at all unless I have to.

As for NFA, I hear Hilton will sign off on a case by case basis.

Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Alex must be nicer than Leesville because we have a few soldiers who commute from Alex to Polk 5 days a week instead of living in Leesville. LOL

Personally, I don't go to Alex, I prefer Lake Charles.

Top Bottom