Tent Advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I like to not have to hang out in my tent when it rains. I will do small 6x8 ones over the tent a lot of the time because I hate having dew dripping on me in the morning.

Have you ever looked into tarp options from Bushcraft USA? I have one of their SAR tarps and it's light enough to carry in my EDC bag.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Have you ever looked into tarp options from Bushcraft USA? I have one of their SAR tarps and it's light enough to carry in my EDC bag.

It's interesting, but I'll stick to mine. Been doing it this way for a long time, I enjoy doing it. Give me some rope and some sticks and I can make all kinds of stuff.

Plus that's the most expensive tarp I've ever seen.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    These are already on the trail, you just pick them up off the ground.

That's where we differ... I'm good with basic and you enjoy the finer things.

I don't bring trekking poles, but they can be set up with them.

I did say "sticks or trekking poles." Sticks... those wood things on the ground.

You say you're good with basic, but you have a lot of stuff. My gear is that of a minimalist ultralight hiker. The biggest luxury I have is a camp chair.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I don't bring trekking poles, but they can be set up with them.

I did say "sticks or trekking poles." Sticks... those wood things on the ground.

You say you're good with basic, but you have a lot of stuff. My gear is that of a minimalist ultralight hiker. The biggest luxury I have is a camp chair.

$45 on a tent and $6 on a tarp... I carry a little bit more stuff, but you probably paid 4x more for your little bit of stuff.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    $45 on a tent and $6 on a tarp... I carry a little bit more stuff, but you probably paid 4x more for your little bit of stuff.

IIRC, I paid $160 for my tent and $15 for the tarp (both on sale), but the combined weight is less than 3.5 lbs.

How much does your tarp and tent weigh?

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    IIRC, I paid $160 for my tent and $15 for the tarp (both on sale), but the combined weight is less than 3.5 lbs.

How much does your tarp and tent weigh?

Actually not too much more than that. Don't matter though because my truck is my pack.

At least neither one us has burned our chit to the ground and had to go buy all new stuff!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Actually not too much more than that. Don't matter though because my truck is my pack.

At least neither one us has burned our chit to the ground and had to go buy all new stuff!

LOL True.

My point is that I go backpacking and you car camp, so trying to compare my gear to yours is pointless. Bringing your gear on a 20 mile hike would kill someone and I wouldn't bring my gear car camping.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Alrighty, I think I found one I like. Thoughts on this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/CORE-Perso...person tent&qid=1480366641&ref_=sr_1_6&sr=8-6

I'm just worried it may not be too warm when out in 35 to 40 degree weather...but it would probably be fine with a nice blanket over the sleeping bag.

That's not going to do much for rain protection and your tent is not the main component to keeping you warm. If you were in that tent with only a blanket in 35 degree weather, you would be dying.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I hate tents with the HUB permanently attached that the poles clip into. I'd also be wary of the retracting pole design. Dave's right It doesn't have near enough fly material.

My tent has a porch/vestibule and pointed sides. The porch is great for leaving shoes and extra gear under and having a break from the weather to get in and out. The pointed sides are great for storing my duffle bags.

Out of the 4 you originally posted, I like the ALPS or the TETON, The Kelty looks nice as well, but expensive.

Drummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    NELA
    We would give some of our boy scouts a good used Eureka and they show up for a week long winter camp in a Ozark tent with a 2 Sq ft rainfly. I never figured that one out. I'll second what someone else suggested earlier of the Eureka Timberline. We have had some last for years with frequent usage, as long as they are not left in the sun for extended runs. UV is a tent killer.

Walmart still shows 2 of the half price Coleman in stock also if you missed it earlier.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Hooligan-4-Person-Easy-Set-Up-Tent-9-x-7/16677071

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I snagged an REI kingdom 8 tent for $150 at the REI garage sale. We recently used it in Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, and badlands National Park. It's fantastic but you definitely won't be hiking very far with it. We set up a queen sized air mattress and had enough room for a table and chairs INSIDE the tent. We didn't keep any food in there (bear country) but we definitely could have had dinner without ever leaving the tent.

You stay warm by sleeping insulated from the ground, with a good sleeping bag. 35 degree weather will freeze your butt off unless you have a good sleeping bag and insulating mat.

I also did a little camping in an ENO hammock and tarp. its SUPER light, pretty darn warm if done correctly, and will soak you to the bone in high wind rain (found this out the hard way, in 40 deg. weather).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom