Terry Stop Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow

I Support Human Culling
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    yeah but you were not sworn to protect... at least not anyone other than yourself.

i would like to see some stats on accidental shootings by police.

Ammocanman

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    i didnt realize that was a common saying. so to answer your question, no, i have never heard the saying "be nice to everyone, but have a plan to KILL everyone you meet" Posted by slow

Yeah, I've heard it before. Makes sense to me....

Ammocanman

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Truestory.

What I have noticed lately is that subjects (civillians) have become alot more aggressive since I have been out of law enforcement.

Yaknow, alot of that might have to do with YOUR mindset.

Last I checked this is (Still, barely) America. And I'm NOBODY's 'Subject'
    I'm a Citizen of THESE United States.

I wish we had Fewer Cops and more Peace Officers.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Five pages ago, in the start of this threaed, someone asked about a sticker influencing actions on a traffic stop.
    It's called an indicator, it indicates the vehicle owner and/or occupants may be partial to, and carry, firearms. The Kehoe brothers, infamous stars of a famous shoot-out video, I believe were white supremacists or something along those lines, and they were partial to, and carried, firearms. So seeing an indicator such as that is going to raise my awareness level and bring to mind some extra questions to ask. Not everyone who owns guns, or believes in the right to possess and carry them, is automatically a 100% good person. Not everyone I arrest is automatically a 100% scumbag criminal dirtball. I've arrested some really nice, polite people through the years. It's case by case.
    If the car I stop has little rainbow colored mushroom stickers on the back window, a 420 logo, and plastic marijuana leaf Mardi Gras beads hanging from the rearview mirror, those are indicators as well. I take it into consideration as to how I proceeed, what else I start looking/sniffing for.
    A good officer always looks for such indicators, and considers what they can mean to his safety as well as to the investigation of whatever circumstances lead to the contact.
    Whether or not a ticket results should (ideally) not be determined just by the presence of a sticker, but then those "I Support State Troopers" stickers wouldn't be so prevalent if people didn't think that would work. I know some guys who never ticket docs/nurses/ER staff, or never a Marine/swabbee/army dogface/flyboy/puddle pirate, or whatever other group they feel a particular loyalty to. I try to decide more on the egregious nature of the violation observed, and I often let the first of the day go just to remind myself not to be a pric...hardcase.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    what would this something else be? could it be a high stress level combined with a nervous, scared, or otherwise confused person?

i didnt realize that was a common saying. so to answer your question, no, i have never heard the saying "be nice to everyone, but have a plan to KILL everyone you meet"

No, that something else would be things like running directly at me, attempting to reach for a weapon that is visible, drawing a weapon, point a weapon at me. things of that nature.

It isn't that hard to tell the difference between a "nervous, scared, or otherwise confused person" and someone who has intent to do harm to someone. Generally speaking those who wish to do harm will get out yelling, cursing or screaming, very rarely are they calm. I think you just like to bash on cops, and make us seem like we are all wishing to kill everyone and **** over people with "illegal searches."

I think if these are your motives, you need to go ahead and just leave the peace as it is, and go somewhere else. If I am mistaken, I retract my previous statements.

Nice hijack though, went from a simple question as to how to handle a traffic stop to me wanting to try and kill people.

Do you like Moon Pies?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Be nice to everyone, but have a plan to KILL everyone you meet

I think that would look nice on the side of a patrol car. Much better than "To protect and serve".

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Okay... I GOTS ta know.

What's a "puddle pirate"???????? Coastie, perhaps?:D

PUDDLE PIRATE

A US Coast Guard member. derogatory.

Navy Sailor: thanks for staying home and watching the coasts, puddle pirate.

Coastie: Someone needs to keep those navy wives warm at night.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Yaknow, alot of that might have to do with YOUR mindset.

Last I checked this is (Still, barely) America. And I'm NOBODY's 'Subject'
    I'm a Citizen of THESE United States.

I wish we had Fewer Cops and more Peace Officers.
    Me too Nomad,Me too.But since the patriot act We have been policed more and less peace.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    My mindset is perfectly normal. I react to your actions. My actions are a direct reflection of yours. If I had a cop mindset it would be visa versa.

Back on topic here, for the most part it’s the totality of circumstances that determine the outcome and actions on the stop.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    There are two types of people; those with the police, and those against the police. It's easy to tell the moment he steps out of the vehicle which side he is on and that will determine what happens on the rest of the stop. Many times you can tell just by the way they pull over which side they are on.

I hear from friends all the time about bad experiences on traffic stops and they almost always tell the story with a chip on their shoulder. I feel if they didn't have that chip to begin with things would have gone much better.

I had EBRSO with lights on behind me last year while driving 90mph through I-110. A gave a simple wave of my hand, slowed down in a safe manner, and he killed the lights and we both went about our business. A traffic stop by Mississippi Highway Patrol resulted in me waving, safely pulling over, getting out of the vehicle with a smile, and an apology for speeding. The result was a warning.

Positive attitude, wave of your hand, and a smile will work every time.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Upon taking a oath of office, it is encumbant upon sworn peace officers to use officer discretion. The nature of a police officer's job regularly requires the exercise of discretion. Discretion is defined as: The latitude afforded officers to determine when to invoke the criminal process. Some instances officers are invoked to uphold the law. The use of warnings may sometimes provide a satisfactory solution to a problem and may enhance the public perception of the officer/department. Normally, the use of a warning occurs in traffic offenses, but occasionally may be applied to criminal offenses. In determining if a warning should be issued, the officer considers:seriousness of the offense; the likelihood that the violator will heed the warning; reputation of the violator, i.e. known repeat offender, has received previous warnings, etc. Warnings used for traffic offenses may be in either verbal or written form.

aroundlsu has hit the nail on the head. hence my previous post, of action/reaction. Demeanor will go along way, either way.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    In determining if a warning should be issued, the officer considers:seriousness of the offense; the likelihood that the violator will heed the warning; reputation of the violator; how close the officer is to meeting his quota this month.

:rofl: Fixed it for you! :rofl:

Humblest appologies to all the LEO here, I just couldn't help myself.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    My mindset is perfectly normal. I react to your actions. My actions are a direct reflection of yours. If I had a cop mindset it would be visa versa.

Back on topic here, for the most part it’s the totality of circumstances that determine the outcome and actions on the stop.

Sir, by that statement I have lost a TREMENDIOUS amount of respect for you. I am not a cop, but I also carry a gun for a living.
    If I had your mentality when I was In Iraq I would not have stopped some of my fellow Marines from Jabbing some Iraqui's we had subdued with their Bayonetts.
    -Despite the fact that I also KNEW what scumbags they were and wanted to ram one into them myself.

Your statement sir does a disservice to your profession and casts a stain on your fellow officers.
    (Quite a few who are friends of mine)

I salute them, the PROFESSIONALS.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Your reading into it to much, as it is only text and the true reflection and meaning is not felt. Sorry you feel that way, I know some understand exactly what I am talking about. Maybe I didn't put it language or context so that you can understand me clearly.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I stopped a guy for a redlight last night, he made me laugh so I checked him for warrants and sent him on his way. How you treat us is a huge helper in how we treat you.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cruisewitro
    Top Bottom