The 3 Tiers of AR15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    Trolling through the 'Rifles' category of this forum, I can tell that folks have very different opinion of their rifles of choices, and even more so on what they would buy as a boutique rifle. I for one enjoy all kinds of rifles (except that fugly Beretta ARX160).

In this thread, I'd like to find out what folks consider to be their favorite AR-15 in different price ranges aka Tiers.
    I'll start with my 3.

Tier 3 (aka bottom tier) Less than $1100
    S&W MP15 (used to be Rock River, but the ones I've owned, especially the 2 stage triggers, the triggers wear out too quickly and would bump fire w/o trying to)

Tier 2 (aka middle tier) between $1101 and $2000
    BCM

Tier 1 (aka top tier) over $2001
    JP ... IMO the most competition ready rifle on the market.

What do you guys think?

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    According to your system colt is a bottom tier rifle...

Correct. Tiers as of price dont really mean much. A mid tier BCM, DD, or Colt will normally outperform most "boutique" and higher tier rifles. I would not put bottom tier less than $1100 either. You can get a good rifle around $1k

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    FUnny, I dont know of one Highpower shooter who shoots a JP, the "most competition ready rifle on the market", but tons who shoot Rock River, with the two stage triggers that bump fire. The only thing wrong with a rra two stage trigger is that the spring wears out and it wont "make wieght", or that they are not as smooth as a Geisslle. A new spring usually fixes em right up.
    Of course RRA's, colts, bushmasters etc dont come with tactical dildo's , fleshlights, and lasers, hanging off of every corner on them and an "enhanced plated" carrier so they must not be as good. They also can be purchased, and capable of winning the National Championship at Camp Perry for under $1000.
    Even a top quality WOA or COmpass Lake built gun can be had for under $1500, which under your tier system puts them a mid range.
    I never understand why people are so concerned with "branding" on basic ar-15's when only a handfull of manufacturers make the parts for the guns, and they all use outsourceing for parts at one point or another. It all comes down to getting the features you want and having a brand wich has good warranty support.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The handful of manufacturers stuff isn't true. RRA may make great Highpower guns but they make crappy duty guns. Not in spec, shitty small parts, bad barrels etc. Keep in mind HP is a Gun Game a rifle that works for the game isn't necessarily good for other things. Lots of guys shoot Tangfolios in USPSA no one wants to carry one at work.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I classify AR15's (all .223 comparisons) into 3 categories:
    1) M4 clones - 16" barrels, typically non-free floated handguards, collapsible stock, threaded barrels, relatively light weight.
    2) Target/Varmint rifles - Free floated, longer barrels, typically fixed or target stocks, typically no muzzle break, typically non-chrome lined or stainless barrels.
    3) 3 gun rifles - The big free floated rails, long sight radius, optics ready.

Of these I think:
    1) Windham or Colt
    2) Remington R15 (my 22" shoots LIGHTS OUT) or (EEK!) Mossberg Hunter.
    3) Build your own...doesn't matter what the hell it is really as long as you are comfortable shooting it.

Remember...70% of an AR15 accuracy is the barrel, 20% the trigger, and the other 10% is luck. And if you are talking about ultimate ACCURACY then rifles in section 2 above is where I'd look to put the most money. If you are talking about running around and tactical shooting, then I can't help you - I've never had to do it, but I can't imagine section 1 can't get it done.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I know my mid 80's Colt AR H Bar 20" can shoot better than me so getting better would be a waste.
    My only point is lots of times guns better than need are bought.
    And my old arse SP1 Colt is a fun plinker

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Classifying/grading ARs based on performance and/or value is absolutely impossible without taking the intended use and desires into account. Performance is subjective to use. Value is subjective to performance. Most top tier (expensive) rifles have no better fit and finish than ones that cost less, they simply have added features that don't necessarily add to the practicality of the rifle.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Let's see, all out comp gun,
    JP SCR11 theirs no better!

Mid range. Work gun JP!

And for a somewhat cheap, but reliable play gun ...... JP

Latest posts

Forum statistics