The elusive snipe

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    With the cold weather that moved in the snipe came also. While working around the shop last week I noticed a good many snipe hanging around the yard surrounding the shop. It’s been many a year since we’ve seen this type of activity. They love cold days and moist ground which aids them in finding something to eat. I called up my cousin and him and I made a little hunt Sunday afternoon. We ended up with 7 as they are much harder to hit as they can move in such erratic ways. I actually only killed one that was flying over me. All the others were killed by walking them up which made for easier shots. When I got home I cleaned them up and will cook them this week. I’ll prolly post a short thread on this when I do it. As a side note the shotgun pictured is a Beretta A300 that was purchased about 6 or 7 years ago. My oldest son and each bought one at that time. It’s the lower end of the Beretta line but has been a reliable work horse. I’m not a fan of the stock as it seems to not fit me that good, but I’ve learned to shoot ok with it. I’m not a big guy so someone who is a little larger than me would prolly fit it just fine. It has had plenty of shells run through it and just keeps on ticking.
    e1663e2d789de934a208100617b960aa.jpg

9346db1d4c90ff35322926d22d467511.jpg

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Yup.. I have a good bit of woodcocks also… every time I dive home on my long gravel road I jump up 7-8 of them.. it’s been a long time since I have seen this many woodcocks.. and wouldn’t you know u just started getting regular pics of bobcats on my trail cams… hmmm wonder if that’s a coincidence… lol

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Right… usually you about step on them going to the deer stand and they scare the fool outta ya!! And like you said gotta wait for them to get a little distance and you won’t blow them up and they tend to level out or land lol

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I can remember some great hunts for snipe. Quite a few years ago I had permission to hunt snipe in a cow pasture near Gonzales. It was thick with snipe. I had a hunting partner and our plan was to place a stander at one end the field and the other hunter would enter the opposite end of the field, advancing toward the stander and taking jump shots at snipe as they rose. The stander would get passing shots at the birds as they flew by. I remember one particular hunt using this technique and after many of the birds had taken flight they started circling the field in a flock, flying lower and lower as they circled. I stood tightly against a dead tree in the middle of the field and watched the flock getting closer with each pass. Finally they passed within range and I took a shot, dropping four snipe with a single shot. Several other times I got two bird with a single shot. Getting a limit of snipe was a regular occurrence. I miss those days.

OeauxMy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2024
    New Iberia, La
    Only hunted snipe a hand full of times, but boy is it fun. Hunted them in a rice field one morning when no ducks showed up. Talk about tough to find when they find grass on a headland

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I always thought all you needed was a sack and some good buddies to flush them towards you so you could catch them in the sack.
    Then they would leave you out in the woods and wait for you join them at the local watering hole once you realized your mistake.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom