The End of an Era: Colt May Be Going Under

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SGT-Craig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2014
    Bay Saint Louis, MS
    If they go under the assets and brand will be sold off to a bigger company. I would fully expect them to continue but w/ better finances and support (say if a Ruger or Smith & Wesson bought them)

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    Companies like Colt have relied on government contracts to stay in business. The general public can find as good or better products at reduced prices and availibility. Look where Colt has it's manufacturing facility-they should have moved 30 years ago to where they didn't have unions running their business. Saying nothin against unions but you can't have a company where your biggest competitor for your profit dollars are your employees. Colt has pushed itself out of the market.

When I first got into AR shooting in early 90's my first thought was getting a Colt. No one had one to sell and the wait was long to order. Got my Bushmaster delivered in a week and saved about 30% over Colt. Put over 5000 rounds through that one and retired it when I got another Bushmaster, then got custome built items-none Colt. I don't see many on the firing line.

Same with their pistol line. Tried to get a Colt 1911-none on the shelf, high price at gunshow, and so purchased a Springfield and Rock Island. No issues with either.

Just saying if Colt went away who will notice? yes it would be a shame to loose old brand name but where is the support on the firing lie?

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Companies like Colt have relied on government contracts to stay in business. The general public can find as good or better products at reduced prices and availibility. Look where Colt has it's manufacturing facility-they should have moved 30 years ago to where they didn't have unions running their business. Saying nothin against unions but you can't have a company where your biggest competitor for your profit dollars are your employees. Colt has pushed itself out of the market.

When I first got into AR shooting in early 90's my first thought was getting a Colt. No one had one to sell and the wait was long to order. Got my Bushmaster delivered in a week and saved about 30% over Colt. Put over 5000 rounds through that one and retired it when I got another Bushmaster, then got custome built items-none Colt. I don't see many on the firing line.

Same with their pistol line. Tried to get a Colt 1911-none on the shelf, high price at gunshow, and so purchased a Springfield and Rock Island. No issues with either.

Just saying if Colt went away who will notice? yes it would be a shame to loose old brand name but where is the support on the firing lie?

What AR is better than a colt at $950?

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    Don't know anything about the low price Colt ARs you quote but a Rock River National Match heavy barrel, free floated competion rifle with 2 stag NM trigger for $825.00 is a pretty good deal. Some people can even put together the parts for a lot less. Picked up a new in box DPMS upper for $225.00, $45.00 collaspable stock and a $150.00 lower comes in under $500.00 that was in July. Just because it has Colt stamped on it doesn't mean it is better and I would check to see what I get for $950.00.

Top Bottom