The Flu Shot - why? why not?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you get the Flu Shot?

• Always

Votes: 15 21.1%
    • Never

Votes: 39 54.9%
    • Sometimes

Votes: 15 21.1%
    • It's a Medical Money Monopoly

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • It's a Gov. Conspiracy

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    It seems this is always one of 'THOSE' topics.

With the recent CDC reporting that the Flu Shot is only 62% effective(Even though for years Doctors have said 90% :rolleyes: ) why is it automatically assumed that without it you stand 0% chance?

The argument around the way sounds like this, "I'd rather have a 62% chance than 0%" but is that a proper argument? I don't think so.

Do you get it? why or why not?

Once again I think that Healthy Activities such as Diet and Exercise are grossly underestimated when it comes to preventing sickness. To include many diseases.

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    I do not get the flu shot because the shot actually exposes you to the flu virus. So in theory you have 100% chance of getting the flu (although it is usually not at 100% force of the flu). Also, we all know that a Virus can mutate and if it is that strong of a virus you will likely get it even with the shot.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    When I launched my physical fitness campaign, I lost 74lbs and 26% body fat in 12 months. I eat healthy, exercise daily, and I get the flu every year. It lasts a couple days, and I'm back on my feet.

Until this year, I hadn't had a flu shot in 7 years. I got it because my doc said "you're healthy, but you can still carry and spread influenza to others who may not be so healthy.. besides, its free". Only reason I got it this year is because my wife is pregnant and seems to catch everything under the sun.

I'm honestly torn on getting it or not, i'll be following this thread closely.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    I wont ever get another one if I can avoid it. I was forced to get immunizations for small pox, anthrax, typhoid, etc for years and I dont want any more.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Let me see, A. Get myself stuck with a contaminated needle full of poison, or B. Eat healthy, exercise, bone up on the vitamin C during the flu season, and stay away from crowded places... Hmmmm.... I'm going with choice B...

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Ive never gotten a flu shot and got the flu one time 3 years ago. It lasted 4 days of sheer misery and then it was gone. I will not ever get a flu shot since I don't trust Chinese made vaccines or wherever in the heck they are from anyway. They tried to get my wife to get one since she works at the school but she has also refused and never gotten sick. There have been reports now of a nurse at her female doctor, one of the nurses got fired for refusing the shot and that is bull.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Never had the shot, never had the flu :dunno:

I don't think there's any government conspiracy or medical monopoly or whatever. Just never saw the purpose. If it's a vaccine and it will prevent me from ever getting it sure I'd go right now and get the shot. But I see no point if it just "helps" you not get the flu especially since I've never had the flu before. I like keeping my immune system up to the task of handling bad critters on its own :)

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Never took one, never plan to, but to each his/her own. If you want it, knock yourself out. Just don't try and force your choice on others.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I do not get the flu shot because the shot actually exposes you to the flu virus.

Here's what I don't understand.

It's a standard answer;
    Can a flu shot give you the flu?
    No, a flu shot cannot cause flu illness. The influenza viruses contained in a flu shot are inactivated (killed), which means they cannot cause infection. Flu vaccine manufacturers kill the viruses used in the vaccine during the process of making vaccine, and batches of flu vaccine are tested to make sure they are safe.

If it's killed, how is it supposed to boost your immune system? :confused:

There is also cases of folks getting Guillain-Barre syndrome from the flu shot and other vaccines? eh doesn’t sound pretty.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    No. I didn't get the shot, and didn't catch the flu even after being exposed (unknowingly) to someone who actually had the flu (a relative who was diagnosed 3 days later).

And it doesn't help with the normal winter time crud that seems to always go around. Everyone I know who's gotten the flu shot still deals with that....:doh:

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Here's what I don't understand.

It's a standard answer;
    Can a flu shot give you the flu?

If it's killed, how is it supposed to boost your immune system? :confused:

There is also cases of folks getting Guillain-Barre syndrome from the flu shot and other vaccines? eh doesn’t sound pretty.

From what I took from my biology class a few years ago at LSU I learned that while it is not an "active" virus, it still allows your body to recognize it as "bad" and make antibodies for it. While this won't necessarily keep you from getting the flu, it can reduce your chances of getting it. Also, if you do get it, the symptoms shouldn't be as strong and you shouldn't be sick for as long as you would be w/o the flu shot because your body will already have the metaphorical artillery to fight it off. The problem is that the flu virus is always changing...

I don't get my flu shot anymore. I got the flu once back during my freshman year and it SUCKED! But seeing the instances of GB syndrome freaked me out. Taking the "small" risk of getting a life altering disorder (GB syndrome) is still way to big of a risk to get marginal flu protection. Just my .02

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    But seeing the instances of GB syndrome freaked me out. Taking the "small" risk of getting a life altering disorder (GB syndrome) is still way to big of a risk to get marginal flu protection. Just my .02

With the new CDC study out declaring maybe 62% chance of it even working, compared to the touted 80-90% declared for so many years, I think lots of folks are thinking that way.

62% chance of it maybe working, 'IF' you contract 1 of the 3 strans in the Flu Shot
    What's the %chance of getting GB or other Vaccine related Life Altering Diseases from getting the flu shot?
    What's the % chance of never getting the flu and having 0% chance of getting a Flu Shot Related life altering disease? b/c you never took the flu shot?

Seems like some very logical and valid reasons out there for not getting a Flu Shot. More so than what we are being led to believe by medical professionals and every other Med Website and Health Blog just repeating the same information but ONLY EVER giving the same old "Better to be sort of protected than not protected at all" which in itself is a flawed statement.

ssfiretruck

1911 yo
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2007
    destrehan
    The problem is. There is hundreds of strains of flu. The flu shot is based on a certin strain they think will effect people that year. At the same time the shot lowers your natural resistance to the flu and other sickness. So to get the flu shot is like getting a bullet proof vest that only protects agains 9mm. The shot is big business every year. It might be free to you but your medical insurance pays for it.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't get it anymore, but for an uncommon reason. There's a good chance that my last flu shot caused brachial neuritis(had gotten the shot a couple weeks before the attack), which put my shoulder out of commission for a year and a half. Docs said there was a decent chance I could get it again - I'd rather risk the flu than lose my shoulder again for 1.5-2 years.

Not fear mongering, my personal choice. BN is a pretty rare thing to have happen, but it really sucks, especially if you work with your hands/arms a lot.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/315811-overview

ssfiretruck

1911 yo
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2007
    destrehan
    I don't get it anymore, but for an uncommon reason. There's a good chance that my last flu shot caused brachial neuritis(had gotten the shot a couple weeks before the attack), which put my shoulder out of commission for a year and a half. Docs said there was a decent chance I could get it again - I'd rather risk the flu than lose my shoulder again for 1.5-2 years.

Not fear mongering, my personal choice. BN is a pretty rare thing to have happen, but it really sucks, especially if you work with your hands/arms a lot.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/315811-overview
    there is a lot of rare things that happen as a result of vaccineations.

ssfiretruck

1911 yo
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2007
    destrehan
    The problem with this country is a lot of drugs they TRY to force down our throats are illegal in other country's for there negative side effects. But don't try and bring up a valid point with your doc. cause He is the professional and that's why medical malpractice is so high in this country!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Guel24
    Top Bottom