The Hottest And Coldest Temperatures Allowed By Conventional Physics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    nupif7zfaxtbazktjl1w.png

http://io9.com/here-are-the-hottest-and-coldest-known-temperatures-in-1678816967

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I want to know how they recorded the 5.5x10^12 degrees Celsius (the highest man-made temp). I just don't know of a method to measure temperatures that high. Super cool chart though. Thanks for sharing.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I want to know how they recorded the 5.5x10^12 degrees Celsius (the highest man-made temp). I just don't know of a method to measure temperatures that high. Super cool chart though. Thanks for sharing.

I would settle for a definition of heat in the first place.

My old high school physics one was: a physical phenomenon that manifests itself in increased molecular movement, but I don't think you could apply that in the early nanoseconds of the universe.

;)

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I would settle for a definition of heat in the first place.

My old high school physics one was: a physical phenomenon that manifests itself in increased molecular movement, but I don't think you could apply that in the early nanoseconds of the universe.

;)

I was taught there is no such thing as cold, only a lack of heat. Never really liked that explanation.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    So it is all a measure of what heat is there to measure...even at extremely low temperatures. However you hear terms like the vacuum of space. In the vacuum of space, things can be very different including the specific heat.

At the moment of the so called "BIG BANG" was there an absolute vacuum? Did an absolute vacuum allow the rapid explosive expansion of materials in all directions?

All I know is, I don't want to hold the thermometer at either of the absolute extremes! :ugh2: :mad:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    So it is all a measure of what heat is there to measure...even at extremely low temperatures. However you hear terms like the vacuum of space. In the vacuum of space, things can be very different including the specific heat.

At the moment of the so called "BIG BANG" was there an absolute vacuum? Did an absolute vacuum allow the rapid explosive expansion of materials in all directions?

All I know is, I don't want to hold the thermometer at either of the absolute extremes! :ugh2: :mad:

My mind is big banged after watching a documentary and smithsonian air and space.

No matter where you are in the universe, everything is moving away from you. Look at something 100 light years away, it's moving away. Go 100 LY past it (200 LY away) and look back. That object is still moving away. Ok so, the Big Bang started from a single point. So where is that point? There is no single point where everything is moving away. Wherever you are, that's where it happened. So that's why they just say "it happened everywhere". You can't happen everywhere when a singularity is involved.

The second thing that baffles me is: the Big Bang happened roughly 14 billion years ago. We can see 14 billion light years in any direction. When you move out to those objects, can they only look back? And can they see only as far as us? Or can they see the 14 billion to us and the. 14 billion past us? Or can they only see 14 billion years in all directions which means something exists beyond 14 billion years that we can't see but wait, the Big Bang was 14 billion years. Which means we are the center. But, the center is also wherever you go.

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    It helps if you think of the universe in 2 dimensions.

Imagine you are on the surface of a balloon that is slowly inflating (remember there is only 2 dimensions so there is no "center" of the universe). All points on this 2D surface are moving away from each,. The larger the balloon becomes the faster all points are moving away. If we deflate the balloon we would not find that everything started from a central location, but rather all locations were at the same point. Thus the Big Bang occurred everywhere.

We can see 13.7 Billion light years away today and the current consensus is that the universe is around 14 billion years old. We can, however, see only a portion of the universe ( a certain space on the surface of the balloon). The balloon is much larger than we can see, possibly infinite!

I hope this helps

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I think I see what you're saying. By your description, the "surface" where we are is 28 billion LY thick then but that "surface" is an enormous cloud (like the Oort Cloud maybe)?

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    I think I see what you're saying. By your description, the "surface" where we are is 28 billion LY thick then but that "surface" is an enormous cloud (like the Oort Cloud maybe)?

The whole thing blows my mind sometimes. Like the math for string theory making more sense when expanded into 4, 5, 6, or 7 spatial dimensions or the fact that we know what the cross section of the 4th dimension looks like.

I think the universe is so much more than any civilization will ever understand.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    The whole thing blows my mind sometimes. Like the math for string theory making more sense when expanded into 4, 5, 6, or 7 spatial dimensions or the fact that we know what the cross section of the 4th dimension looks like.

I think the universe is so much more than any civilization will ever understand.

My mind is easily blown. My high school education didn't even come close to beginning to touch on any of this.

Top Bottom