The (kinda)Great Lube Test of 2011!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Don't get all moist with excitement... ;)

All this "test" does is compare one compound to another on a semi-level playing field. Using it to deduce what a given product will actually do in the real world is like using gelatin tests to deduce what a given bullet will do when fired into real meat.

Plus, a lot of folks in this thread keep saying "lube" and "corrosion protection" in the same sentence. The two are completely different, in case anyone has lost sight of that. Eezox is, hands down, THE best corrosion inhibitor I've ever tried. But, except on a .22, it doesn't do much as a lubricant.

Most service pieces today offer some sort of finish that at least pays lip-service to anti-corrosion. I haven't seen anyone carrying an all-blued pistol in quite some time. And every one I know who does/did, knew enough to keep the thing from rusting. As in, daily maintenance. That seems to be beyond most folks these days, but we won't go there...

My point is, I think we should be more concerned with the LUBRICATING qualities of our chosen elixir, instead of how well it prevents rust... especially you "I clean it once a year whether it needs it or not!" fellows...

LOL....nobody gettin moist or excited here, but Mo.........weeelll I WONT GO THERE T.M.I. FOR YALL......I do know the difference between lube and corrosion and I'm well aware of ,that there are different kinds of products for the 2, lube and corrosion....I guess I shoulda made myself more clear....I myself have never used anything other than Break Free and it doesnt stick around very long on internals of a gun very good, that I have observed....I clean everything at least 3 times a year and dont keep any guns wrapped up in cases until they are ready to be transported.....The humidity is brutal this far south,even inside your house,found that out the hard way.....I would tell you that if I did shoot as much as some of you I would have found a much better lube...I still wouldnt give rust a chance, everywhere go I have a can of breakfree,Duck hunting,the guns will get wet,I douse the hell out of them and wipe em down before they set up.......You are right LSP there is definately a difference in lube and corrosion protection.....IMO gun metal wont rust as fast as a nail,was my only suggestion !!!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I don't make this stuff up man.
    didn't mean to insult you, but any new *wonder* product that uses the "seals" "special forces" etc in its marketing, I am leery of until I see it. This stuff actually seems to work as advertised. I do wonder if it would be an issue in the cold, say hunting in 20* weather.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    No. It wont be. The manufacturer says he has used it suceddfully down to -8F.

I'm having some trouble trusting anything that the "manufacturer" claims right now and strongly debating whether or not to pitch what little I bought to test. I know it gets all slippery and wet, but so does KY. Doesn't mean it will prevent wear. I'm seriously questioning the R&D of the product if so many half-truths are needed to sell it.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Please pitch it my way

If I pitch it, it will be a Karma, since you asked first, pay shipping and you got it. However, I am not sure I want to pitch it yet. Just because the marketing is iffy does not mean the product is, it's just a good indicator in my experience. Unless of course you like RBCD Performance Plus, EXTREME! SHOCK!, Vulcan, and the like.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    WTF are you on about now??? Did I miss something?

Did you not apologize to VG for doubting him, saying that the product did indeed work great?

Jesus Christ on a crutch... I'm confused, I guess.

I know... I'll just get a can of WD-40 and a roll of duct tape... and all will be right with the world... because you know what they say:

"If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape."

The rest of these arguments and "tests" are giving me a headache...

The product seems to work as advertised, but the company appears a bit shady. I'm still awaiting their response to my questions. So far, yes, it is temperature variable and feels slick, but I'm not sure how antiwear properties stack up. I'm already pretty sure captain lasky is just a face for this version of the product, as there are others by the same company developed by other seals...

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I'm having some trouble trusting anything that the "manufacturer" claims right now and strongly debating whether or not to pitch what little I bought to test. I know it gets all slippery and wet, but so does KY. Doesn't mean it will prevent wear. I'm seriously questioning the R&D of the product if so many half-truths are needed to sell it.

1. Are you aware that there are dozens of rust prevention tests that were posted on the internet long before your "experiment?"

2. Other than padding your post count, do you truly think your incessant debates with other members serve any useful purpose ?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    1. Are you aware that there are dozens of rust prevention tests that were posted on the internet long before your "experiment?"

2. Other than padding your post count, do you truly think your incessant debates with other members serve any useful purpose ?

Do you not like my "incessant debates"? If not, then what are you doing sticking your finger on the stove? You know I'm just going to respond in the same inflammatory manner in which I am approached. If so, then you got what you wanted, rejoice! :D

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Good way of making some portable paste:
    20qg8kg.jpg

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Several points have been brought up...

Nails are not firearms.
    Laying salt-water soaked paper-towels over nails is not what a gun would endure.

I agree.

So I took the most controversial of lubes (Froglube paste and CLP) and the champion of the last test (BF CLP) and devised a more realistic test.

I took a gun--well--part of one--the phosphated steel magazine tube from a Benelli M1014--and placed it in an area that experiences both temperature and humidity swings by large degrees--my shower. I hung it horizontally from the bar in the back, where steam etc. will hit it, but not a ton of direct water, splashes to be sure, though.

First, I de-greased it with mineral spirits and then BF Powder Blaster, then I placed the aforementioned lubes on it, and separated them by circumferential bands of duct tape.

Yes, it was heated up before the FL was applied.

Seems VERY realistic simulation for a firearm that will be taken out in the field or transported from a cruiser to the warm indoors often.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    In before someone complains about this test.

Several points have been brought up...

Nails are not firearms.
    Laying salt-water soaked paper-towels over nails is not what a gun would endure.

I agree.

So I took the most controversial of lubes (Froglube paste and CLP) and the champion of the last test (BF CLP) and devised a more realistic test.

I took a gun--well--part of one--the phosphated steel magazine tube from a Benelli M1014--and placed it in an area that experiences both temperature and humidity swings by large degrees--my shower. I hung it horizontally from the bar in the back, where steam etc. will hit it, but not a ton of direct water, splashes to be sure, though.

First, I de-greased it with mineral spirits and then BF Powder Blaster, then I placed the aforementioned lubes on it, and separated them by circumferential bands of duct tape.

Yes, it was heated up before the FL was applied.

Seems VERY realistic simulation for a firearm that will be taken out in the field or transported from a cruiser to the warm indoors often.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    In before someone complains about this test.

:rofl:

I'm curious though, why didn't Remoil get tested? We've used that stuff for years on our duck guns that we drag in and out of the brackish marsh. I'd be interested to see how it compared.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    :rofl:

I'm curious though, why didn't Remoil get tested? We've used that stuff for years on our duck guns that we drag in and out of the brackish marsh. I'd be interested to see how it compared.

I used to use Rem-oil, but every blued gun I doused with it soon rusted. Usually within 24-48 hours. I figured no-matter the outcome of the test, why bother, as it never worked for me in the real world.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I used to use Rem-oil, but every blued gun I doused with it soon rusted. Usually within 24-48 hours. I figured no-matter the outcome of the test, why bother, as it never worked for me in the real world.

That's strange... I've never had a problem with it and it's all I use. I mean, my guns stay in the safe... but for the longest time they were in my dad's "safe" which had no humidity control.

My cheap Beretta will develop rust after prolonged exposure to water, but it cleans up no problem and stays rust free when it's stored.

How did you store your guns when you used remoil?

I've got some CLP that I've never really used much of, I might try it on my Beretta to see if it helps resist rust for longer. I'm glad you did this test... I think some people missed the point... but some people look for anything and everything to critique and argue about.

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    I just wanted to chime in and thank you for the test also. You went to a lot of trouble to do that, and I agree that many people seem to have missed the point. Could you add a test with kroil and maybe some sort of synthetic motor oil? And for the people saying that it's not realistic, it's not supposed to be, nor does it need to be. It is a comparison of the corrosion protection of different lubes. Of course your gun will go longer without rusting in the "real world". They already have protective coatings and they are made of different grades of materials than the nails used.

Top Bottom