The Most Useful Deer Rifle in Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    It is perfectly legal and just plain cool and it does everything you ask it to do. Trouble is nobody knows what it is. They always ask me what is that thing. So I named it the Thing.

It is a CZ/Brno Combination gun, 12 ga 3 inch mag over a highly accurate 30-06 barrel. This is the gun you get when you get behind in the deer season like I did this year.

Mine has a Burris 3x9 scope which is perfect. If you sight in for 50-100 yards with 165-168 grain bullets the 000 buckshot is right on the crosshairs. I've had the gun for about 10 years and it has sacked up deer, boar and bobcats. You can shoot straight down from the stand with buckshot or out to 300 yards with the rifle. It has two triggers and the one for the rifle is sigle set type making this a very accurate rifle.

You can go to CZ-USA and see it, and see my results as well.

For those of you that think it expensive this is one deer rifle that is truely worth what you pay.....

Last edited:

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I would love to find a good combination rifle that does .22LR plus a deer caliber. Is there such a thing? I guess there would be legality issues...

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    It is perfectly legal and just plain cool and it does everything you ask it to do. Trouble is nobody knows what it is. They always ask me what is that thing. So I named it the Thing.

It is a CZ/Brno Combination gun, 12 ga 3 inch mag over a highly accurate 30-06 barrel. This is the gun you get when you get behind in the deer season like I did this year.

Mine has a Burris 3x9 scope which is perfect. If you sight in for 50-100 yards with 165-168 grain bullets the 000 buckshot is right on the crosshairs. I've had the gun for about 10 years and it has sacked up deer, boar and bobcats. You can shoot straight down from the stand with buckshot or out to 300 yards with the rifle. It has two triggers and the one for the rifle is sigle set type making this a very accurate rifle.

You can go to CZ-USA and see it, and see my results as well.

For those of you that think it expensive this is one deer rifle that is truely worth what you pay.....

I used to own a stevens....or maybe a savage 12/30-30 over and under gun. I really liked it.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    The Savage/Steven 24 was the first US / Canadian combination gun on the market. Usually a 22ov410 or 20 ga and it was the first gun to come out in 22 magnum. they tried 30-30 and 223 but they were never popular due to legalities.

In Europe it is different, the mixed bag hunt is popular. As well as the fact in some countries you can just own so many guns so they have combination shotgun and rifles known a Drillings. This is a double barreled shotgun with a rifle underneath. I wanted one of those but settled for the Over and Under or Bock Drilling. This turned out to be perfect as stated. The Brno retails for around $2000 but I'm sure it would not be that much in Louisiana. I paid around $900 for mine at Star Gun and Archery in Leesville and this is a CZ dealer and can most likely get you the best price.

Once you get use to it if a deer gets within 50 yards standing or running it most likely will not get away.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    In my humble opinion, the most useful deer rifle is the one you can shoot the most accurately.

Given the many Louisiana hunting condition I have yet to see when this gun would not be my first choice. It is very accurate matching my 700 Remington in 30-06, you would love this rig believe me everyone does, even the Dog Hunters.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    That's the Savage/Stevens 24 along with the Savage 99 Lever action they were discontinued and that was not a good idea....

Before the National Wild Turkey Federation, that dictated how we will hunt turkey, the 24 was advertised as the perfect turkey gun.

The one I had was extremely accurate with the 22 long rifle barrel but the shotgun barrel patterned so low it could not be regulated with iron sights or a scope.

The Combination Gun that I'm talking about was once sold by Savage, then Valmet, CZ and now Brno while going up considerably in price.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom