The Much Maligned Mini 14

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Muddy45

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Covington
    I have one of the NRA models that I picked up 2 years ago. It's not picky about ammo, goes bang every time, decent accuracy at 100yds. fun to shoot and reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I where in the market for another .223

tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I picked one up from a member here and have not gotten a chance to shoot it. He sold it with a folding stock installed, the original wood stock, and I think 5 magazines 2 of them Rugers still in blister packs so it was a good deal. He did mention that he had three and traded the other two off long ago and this one was supposed to be very accurate. so When I shoot it I will report my finding. It is a gun I found myself reading about a lot also,... I guess that is why I jumped on it.

Leopardcurdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Hattiesburg, Ms
    I've got a 580 series that I really like. Very accurate out to 300 yards. Never shot it past that. Very fine weapon as far as I'm concerned. But I may have to sell it since the Gabester likes them now.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I have the synthetic folding/collapsing stock, the Ruger mags work great and it's fairly accurate. More than enough for the farm gun it is.
    My AR is admittedly a bit more fun to shoot, but not by much.
    Best part about the mini: it eats Tula ammo and keeps on banging away. My AR tends to have problems with bad ammo.
    Worst part about the mini: it FLINGS the brass! Like, orbital velocity. I had to stop shooting it the last time I was at the range because I was literally hurting the guy on the bench beside mine.

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I bought a rancher last summer and I love it. It shoots great and its reliable. My dad has an older one 20+ and it shoots great as well. thats the reason i bought mine. the farthest ive shot it is 100 yards. ive had nothing but good experience with mine.

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    I have one of the newer rifles (post 180) but not sure exactly how old it is. Tried a scope on it and hated it. However when at Honey Island I can go shot for shot on the gongs using only iron sights and get prety good groups on paper. Its kinda odd like that but I definately love it.

I don't remember any major malfunctions but you do need to get some decent magazines. The ruger factory 20 and 30 rounders are expensive but I did find that if you leave the pro mag magazines compeltely loaded for a few weeks they seem to work flawlessly and tapco is supose to have a generation 2 polymer magazine out now.

Eats steel cases all day long, not picky about the loading, and can take either 5.56 or .223 so ammunition is not a problem. It does tend to fling spent cases down about 3 or 4 benches to nail the guy sitting there. :hs:

vgodenwa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Gloster, MS
    I have an old style Mini 30. With the newly available Ruger 20 round mags, it works fine.
    It is stainless. I like stainless ..... A lot.
    It shoots anything, but not accurately. American made stuff is ok at between 2.5 -3.5 inches at 100.
    I think that at current prices it isn't such a good deal.
    Unless, you live in a communist state, or you don't want the black rifle look.
    Or you need stainless.:D
    Von

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    I didn't bother to read all the posts, but I've shot several.

I own a 188 series and I have an accu-strut on it which gives me sub moa groups on a bipod at 100 yds with wolf bulk ammo and I'm admittedly not as good of a shot as I'd like to be. I have an occasional flyer, usually 2-3" out of random groups. The frequency of which really does not increase as the barrel heats up. The gun feeds and fires anything I give it as long as it has a quality magazine. I highly recommend shelling out the cash for factory mags.

Of the 580 series that I've fired I never had a problem and would be just as happy with one in my hands. The relatively strong following provides enough aftermarket options and if you bed the stock you're set.

my $0.02 cents

Top Bottom