The Pearlington Borrow Pit Range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I visited the "new Pearlinton borrow pit range" yesterday. It's also known as "the new Stennis Range". The range was muddy, so I couldn't get too far down-range. I like it a lot better than the old pit. It's not full of junk - which I like. It appears to be longer - which I like. I think I was was able to get out to 300 yards. I know I set my iron sights to 300 yards, and was hitting orange clays against the cliff at the back of the range. Someone was also good enough to scrape up a berm at 100 yards, so our 100 yard shots would stop there.

Next time I go out there I'm bringing better targets - maybe a box of clays instead of salvaging the ones laying around the ground. It was my first trip to the range in over a year. These days my little girl keeps me from leaving for four hour excursions. I brought an anti-gun friend, and introduced him to the AK and a couple handguns. He enjoyed himself and wants me to take him next time.

Last edited:

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    It is much nicer since someone cleaned it up. I'm curious about the ditch that was dug right off the road though. Is that to discourage folks from dumping garbage?

I drove by last week and saw a bunch of guys wearing blaze, parked on the side of the road, holding shotguns and radios. Obviously they were running dogs after deer. I didn't want to be on the giving or receiving end of an accident so I got the heck out of there. I'm staying away until hunting season is over in Miss.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I didn't want to be on the giving or receiving end of an accident so I got the heck out of there. I'm staying away until hunting season is over in Miss.

My friend, you are right on the money. I too have stayed away for that reason. Any one know when hunting season ends?

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I was actually referring to the chance of one of my rounds going stray. #3 is oriented such that it is well over a mile to anything remotely at risk.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I sure this one can get messed up just like the other. Is there any management or organization?

None. Don't even know who owns the property. On the other side of the road I think it's NASA BZ property. There are no markers on the pit's side identifying ownership.

It is literally a pit that folks happen to shoot at. You go there at your own risk and hope if others are there they are responsible and sober.

flatswitch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    #3 is where I usually go, its been a few months but when I was out there last there was tons of trash. Hunting season has been deterring me lately. It's nice out there and I never ran into problems. Only went on weekends though.

vinpar092

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Southeast LA
    When the Sheriff began to run everyone from the BZ, I was run off all the spots listed. One Officer started to write me a ticket at the cemetery one afternoon. I was able to get out of it being with the Fire Dept. Are they not patrolling these areas?

Vince

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    None. Don't even know who owns the property. On the other side of the road I think it's NASA BZ property. There are no markers on the pit's side identifying ownership.

It is literally a pit that folks happen to shoot at. You go there at your own risk and hope if others are there they are responsible and sober.

When I was there a few weeks back there was a very clear "No Trespassing" sign at the entrance, and someone had cut the entry road with a ditch witch or some such. Nevertheless there was a 20' berm pushed up 100 yards in and the floor of the pit had been smoothed. Someone's clearly maintaining it as a range.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Doesn't matter if one has your name on it.

We lost a trooper some years back; he was elk hunting in Colorado, sat down on the side of a mountain to take a break. A hunter on THE OTHER SIDE of the same mountain took a shot upslope. He missed, the bullet travelled OVER the mountain and down the reverse slope, catching Tony at the top of the sternum. They didn't even realize he had been shot until the body was posted the next day.

It took the sheriff there several months to put it all together, but he eventually turned up the hunter and the rifle, which matched the bullet they took out of Tony.

Bizarre in the extreme... but it happened.

I hope they they didn't charge that hunter...

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Just got back fm #3. First time since they cleaned it up. It's nice.

Hancock Deputee drove by and didn't even slow down. I'm beginning to think its just that one fellow on some kind of power trip that's giving anybody trouble.

FWIW there was no sign whatsoever. I was looking for one. I agree that the berm makes it obvious that it was meant for a backstop. Its right at 100 yds.

Last edited:

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Just got back fm #3. First time since they cleaned it up. It's nice.

Hancock Deputee drove by and didn't even slow down. I'm beginning to think its just that one fellow on some kind of power trip that's giving anybody trouble.

You may be right. It was a Hancock Deputee that turned me on to BZ 2&3 while he ran me off BZ1.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.

FWIW there was no sign whatsoever. I was looking for one. I agree that the berm makes it obvious that it was meant for a backstop. Its right at 100 yds.

It could be the landowner asked him to keep tresspassers off of his property; it is someones property and if you were not invited, you're tresspassing

Top Bottom