The stupid...it burns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just A Number

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    I'm offended. Personally, I consider "sack lunch" to be sexist. Should I send a letter to the editor? :p

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...-offensive-language/

Government workers in the city of Seattle have been advised that the terms "citizen" and "brown bag" are potentially offensive and may no longer be used in official documents and discussions.
    KOMO-TV reports that the city's Office of Civil Rights instructed city workers in a recent internal memo to avoid using the words because some may find them offensive.
    "Luckily, we've got options."
    - Elliott Bronstein, Seattle's Office for Civil Rights
    "Luckily, we've got options," Elliott Bronstein of the Office for Civil Rights wrote in the memo obtained by the station. "For 'citizens,' how about 'residents?'"
    In an interview with Seattle's KIRO Radio, Bronstein said the term "brown bag" has been used historically as a way to judge skin color.
    "For a lot of particularly African-American community members, the phrase brown bag does bring up associations with the past when a brown bag was actually used, I understand, to determine if people's skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event or to come into a party that was being held in a private home," Bronstein said.
    According to the memo, city employees should use the terms "lunch-and-learn" or "sack lunch" instead of "brown bag."
    Bronstein told KIRO Radio the word "citizen" should be avoided because many people who live in Seattle are residents, not citizens.
    "They are legal residents of the United States and they are residents of Seattle. They pay taxes and if we use a term like citizens in common use, then it doesn't include a lot of folks," Bronstein said.
    Seattle, however, isn't the only city with an eye on potentially disruptive words.
    The New York Post reported in March 2012 that the city’s Department of Education avoids references to words like “dinosaurs,” “birthdays,” “Halloween” and dozens of other topics on city-issued tests because they could evoke “unpleasant emotions” among the students.
    Dinosaurs, for example, conjures the topic of evolution, which could rile fundamentalists and birthdays are not celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses. Halloween, meanwhile, suggests an affiliation to Paganism.
    Officials said such exclusions are normal procedure, insisting it’s not censorship.
    “This is standard language that has been used by test publishers for many years and allows our students to complete practice exams without distraction,” a Department of Education spokeswoman told the newspaper last year.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Definitely wouldn't want students thinking about dinosaurs, birthdays, or Halloween. I mean think about it, dinosaurs were invented by the CIA, birthdays aren't fair to all of the other students that one day, and Halloween is either a super religious festival after all Saints Day or is a pagan event...both of which are terrible for our youngsters to learn about. On that note, teaching English in schools should be banned as well because it is often not the language spoken at home. Think about all of the poor Mexican (can I use that word?) students who don't speak English well. Making them learn it at school is just unfair to them! And the poor black students who speak Ebonics at home...oh what shall we do?!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Lord Almighty.

GET....A...LIFE. :madfawk:

Lighten up, people. Not matter now much you want them to be, brown bags were made from paper, not people.

Stop it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    My brain synapse cannot effectively translate how pathetic this is. I truly believe these morons do this just to aggravate people.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Lets just wrap all of the pussies of the world in bubble wrap, put headphones in their ears that play crickets chirping and give them free crap for life.
    Come on, " the term "brown bag" has been used historically as a way to judge skin color"? Only a true retard would even think that. Ever think that maybe it is called a brown bag because typically it goes in , oh I dont know, A damn brown paper bag? Yes, they are not a common now as all the plastic stuff thanks to the tree huggers, but anyone that thinks this is racist should play russian roulette with at least 6 bullets!
    And what will poor sonic do? Are they going to advertise their sack lunch special now?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    cleveland_browns_helmet-logo.jpg

"You're next, bigots!!!!"

:dogkeke:

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Uppity Blacks use the brown bag as a judge of skin color for males wishing to "Court" their daughters!
    If the skin color is a darker shade than that of a brown bag, then move along! The lighter shade of brown is more desirable!:eek4:

You just can't make this **** up!

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Wait, last year I went to Sam's and bought a huge bundle of paper bags for my son to take his lunch to school in. Although the outer wrap of the bundle was brown in color, all 500 of the bags were......WHITE!

Oh. My. God.

What have I done to my son? What have I done to his classmates? What have I done to the cafeteria ladies? What have I done to the trash collectors? What the fu@k am I going to do with all the rest of those bags?

WHAT THE FU@K ARE THEY DOING TO MY COUNTRY!

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    OK, just googled lunch and learn, and it appears to be a way to do a sales pitch while your audience eats a catered lunch. What does that have to do with a Brown Bag Lunch, a Sandwich or an apple and such in a brown paper bag?

A Lunch and Learn does not have to be by a vendor, it is done by internal staff sometimes. The idea is that if you attend this meeting, where the emphasis is on new products or new techniques or company standards or any number of things your company wants you to know, lunch will be provided. This is associated with brown bag lunches as sometimes the company will hold these lunch meetings without providing a meal, so you have to be responsible and bring your own, and you can't leave over lunch to obtain said meal. That means you have to bring your own, so "sack up" and be prepared for your lunch hour to be inside the office.

I assume you know / figured out the tie-in with brown bag, but just in case you didn't I thought I might throw this out there.

Oh, and if you were being sarcastic, I missed it entirely (hard to tell through text sometimes) and thought you were really asking what the tie-in was between the two, so tried to provide a genuine response.

As to the content of the OP, PC has gotten completely out of control, and needs to be abolished. This isn't news though, as it was out of control years ago. When I was a kid and my "feelings got hurt" or I was offended, my dad would say the most helpful things, like "Stop being such a pansy" or "Man up, the world doesn't owe you anything". More people should take that attitude now.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    A good rule of thumb is if you're working so hard trying to be offended that you're offending half of the country, you're trying too hard.

Or something.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    A Lunch and Learn does not have to be by a vendor, it is done by internal staff sometimes. The idea is that if you attend this meeting, where the emphasis is on new products or new techniques or company standards or any number of things your company wants you to know, lunch will be provided. This is associated with brown bag lunches as sometimes the company will hold these lunch meetings without providing a meal, so you have to be responsible and bring your own, and you can't leave over lunch to obtain said meal. That means you have to bring your own, so "sack up" and be prepared for your lunch hour to be inside the office.

I assume you know / figured out the tie-in with brown bag, but just in case you didn't I thought I might throw this out there.

Oh, and if you were being sarcastic, I missed it entirely (hard to tell through text sometimes) and thought you were really asking what the tie-in was between the two, so tried to provide a genuine response.

As to the content of the OP, PC has gotten completely out of control, and needs to be abolished. This isn't news though, as it was out of control years ago. When I was a kid and my "feelings got hurt" or I was offended, my dad would say the most helpful things, like "Stop being such a pansy" or "Man up, the world doesn't owe you anything". More people should take that attitude now.

Thanks, in my ignorance, I truly had no idea what they were talking about or what the relation was. I'm a mechanic, we have no lunch and learns and brown bagging it is the alternative to going to Mc Donalds. This happens to most of my co-workers as payday approaches (I "brown bag" it everyday).I did not realize there was anything to do with a meeting that dealt with a sack lunch. If I have a meeting with my company, it's on the clock, not on my lunch break. And they don't feed the troglodytes.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Thanks, in my ignorance, I truly had no idea what they were talking about or what the relation was. I'm a mechanic, we have no lunch and learns and brown bagging it is the alternative to going to Mc Donalds. This happens to most of my co-workers as payday approaches (I "brown bag" it everyday).I did not realize there was anything to do with a meeting that dealt with a sack lunch. If I have a meeting with my company, it's on the clock, not on my lunch break. And they don't feed the troglodytes.

No sweat. Most places try not to take your lunch break over without feeding you, unless it's absolutely necessary. In the almost 20 years I've been working in those environments, I've seen that happen less than 10 times.

Top Bottom