Things I DON'T skimp on.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Since I'm a mechanic, I've seen what happens when you buy Stanley or whatever other big box store offers - it'll break as soon as you put it in a bind. My paycheck relies on me having good tools, so that is one thing I do NOT skimp on. Harbor freight has it's place (for the use once every few years type of tool), but Craftsman, Snap-On, and Matco have earned their reputation.

My drank of choice: T.W. Samuels. When you mix it with coke, it seems like a crime to use anything better. I wouldn't suggest drinking it by itself :puke:

T.W.Samuels.jpg

On a side note - I buy this for $5.60 a bottle at Krogers. When looking for a picture, I ran across a New Zealand website that was charging $50/bottle for this crap since it was technically "imported". I sure hope no one has bought one, because they will sure be disappointed.......

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Coke and whiskey. BLEH!!!! BLASFEEMEE!!!!!! If you don't drink it straight, stay on your Mama's teet. I hope the first person who put coke in whiskey is burning in hell.

And wher do I get the virgin rain forest pulp gold seal TP? My bunghole wants to know.........

Last edited:

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    I have actually had very good luck with stanley tools. I have abused the crap out of one of their ratchets with a 5ft cheater bar. I have already sent back one craftsman, one matco, and two snap ons using the same bar. Go figure? The matco was my friends and one of the snap ons was his too so not sure of the model. The craftsman and the other snap on was mine. They all were replaced no questions asked so you cant beat that warranty but stanley has the same warranty. Bring it back to walmart and they will give you a new one. I also use their 98 cent screw drivers from walmart although I have broke the ends of the flatheads a couple of times, ive never broke the phillips and after replacing the 3 flatheads I broke im still only out 4 bucks I cant even get into a snap on for that.

If I used these tools everyday as a mechanic I may think differently. But for weekend warriors they are a very good value. I do use power tools everyday and so far nothing can beat a dewalt. Others may cost more and made a little better like hilti but its not worth the extra imo. I have never broken a dewalt including dropping them out of 3 story attics only cosmetic damage and maybe some rattling but the drill still worked as advertised. In my experience the batteries run out way before the drill dies. When that happens I just buy a new drill because usually the drill is 300 new and two new batteries cost 200 or so, and its already 4-6 years old.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've busted craftsman sockets before and managed to ruin their screwdrivers. They take them back though...

I'm not that picky when it comes to whiskeys- Jack, VO, Canadian Club, Ancient Age, Crown, etc.
    TP- none of that no name, 40 grit stuff...

Inexpensive optics - I like Konus so far. As long as you can co-witness and verify your zero I can live w/ it. Cheap tube scopes, no. I have more problems w/ cheap scope rings and mounts than scopes.

Knives.... I like my SOG. Spyderco folders are OK.

Backpacks- Gregory. Period. Any other outdoor equipment is MSR.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Prostitutes. You get what you pay for.

Narcotics. Same story.

Doctors. Until Obama has his way.

Travel. Sometimes, the extra cash to avoid rickety puddle jumpers and roach motels is well worth it.

Tattoos. Cheap ink, unless very meaningful, is a bad idea.

Yes-- some of these were jokes, regardless of how true they might be. :cool:

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Coke and whiskey. BLEH!!!! BLASFEEMEE!!!!!! If you don't drink it straight, stay on your Mama's teet. I hope the first person who put coke in whiskey is burning in hell.

And wher do I get the virgin rain forest pulp gold seal TP? My bunghole wants to know.........

Try to find a girl who drinks whiskey neat/on rocks. Finding girls who want a jack and coke isn't too hard. I refuse to give my good stuff to girls who just want to get their drink on. They wouldn't know the difference anyways........

My friend owns a liquor store, and he hooked me up on Glenlivet a few months back. I've got 3 bottles sitting at the house right now :D

-Dave

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    In reality, my list encompasses pretty much everything I purchase. My tastes aren't too incredibly expensive, pretty middle of the road, so I don't particularly skimp or go all out on anything. Someone mentioned needing to stop skimping on cars. I probably should have bought a new one a year ago.

1. Wardrobe: Levis on my ass, brand name outdoors shirts on my back, Chucks or Docs on my feet, Citizen or Seiko on my wrist.
    2. Vices: Lavaza espresso made at home, Grizzly dip every day, Bulliet or Sailor Jerry's when I want a drink.
    3. Food: No processed cheap junk. I'm a eat low carb, so only good meat and lots of it.
    4. EDC Gear: Only buy my holsters from N-Tac or Comp-Tac. Never skimp on a decent belt, knife, light or multitool.
    5. Guns: I always save for what I want. No top shelf customs, but only buy big manufacturers.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I try not to skimp on anything. In my opinion...

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing the right way. Also, if I'm going to fork out the money for something. Then it better be something that will last and I will get my money's worth.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    TP: Charmin Ultra Soft
    Beer: too many to list, but not your generic choices for sure
    Whiskey: Makers or gentleman jack
    Vehicles: I don't skimp on brakes or tires, too much to risk.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Several of mine like good guns and ammo have already been covered, but one that I think is important is - Shoes/boots: If your feet hurt, the rest of your body will end up hurting, too.

Another is batteries. Energizer or Duracell for me, cheap, non-lasting batteries drive me crazy.

Most other things to me are just by preference, my wife and I have our own particular favorites that we know. I would rather not go home at all than go home to her with any brand of mayonnaise that is not Blue Plate. She better not bring home white bread that isn't Bunny.

Last edited:

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    As the youngest in a low income family I grew up in hand-me-downs. Even most of my toys. So I made a promise to myself that when I grew up I would always buy the best I could afford. So while I don't always buy the most expensive I do always buy top quality. Including my whiskey 18yr Jameson's :chuckles:
    I don't skimp!

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Quickdraws "frugal" thread was good so I thought I start one on things I DON'T skimp on. I'll start, ya'll chime in.

#1 TOILET PAPER- Really. Angel Soft fo me.

#2 Whiskey- Jack Daniels

#3-Teethpaste- Colgate paste and I buy it one sale. Been using it my whole life and I don't have a single cavity.

#4 Meat- No ground in the tube. No processed lunchmeat. And no vaccum packed crap.

#5 Firearm optics- If it says "Made in China", it is Crap. Don't argu with me, it will just prove how much of an idiot you are.

1..Pine cones.
    2. White lightning.
    3. Wet sand.
    4. Spam.
    5. A monacle inside a toilet paper tube.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I like the spirit of this thread.
    FYI. My wife brought home "Frooty Hoops: from the Dollah Sto the other day. BBBBLLLLLEEEEEHHHHH!!!!! They are so nasty the 4 y/o won't eat'em. I asked her why she bought them and her replay was,"They were only a dollar." AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! Spend another buck fitty and buy us something we will eat, DAMMIT!!!!

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I skimp on shirts, plinking ammo, motor oil (I change every 3000 miles), t-shirts (froot of the loom), and cars. I never skimp on cardiologists or oncologists. I got laser surgery a few years back. I did not skimp on that. My wife's engagement ring. No skimping. My wife I will never skimp on that wonderful person. She puts up with me. I have no idea why.

BAYOUSHOOTER.

I refuse to skimp on this fabulous website OR community. Great bunch of people.

Keep your priorities in order, people.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom