thinking about building a gun room..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmaroon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    i'm building a house soon, and i cannot stand the gun safe idea.. so i'm designing a gun room.. on the cheap. i was thinking double layer sheetrock for some fire delay.. not necessarily fire proof.. a work bench on one end, and rifle racks/pistol racks down the sides.. before you show me pictures of the doomsday vaults.. again.. i want to do this on the cheap.. secure room in my house that is MINE.. lol.. with an inconspicuous door that is most secure.. anybody got any gadgets or ideas for this?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Just some thoughts...

If it's a concrete or brick house, make it a corner room with no windows or exterior doors. If siding or other, place it in the interior.

Do not plan to have any plumbing run in any of the walls. Later on if you need repairs it will keep maintenance persons from needing access.

Do not have the AC unit or water heater set in the attic above the room. Usually a duct ran into the room (as stated above) will prevent this.

Keep the room on it's own electrical circuit.

Try to plan the door to be accessed through a closet from a child's room (kept locked of course). Thieves will be drawn to the master closet first.

Silicone between the baseplate and the slab during construction so that any water over flows (bathtub, sink, toilet, water heater, etc) doesn't trickle into the room.

Do not use carpet that will show a worn walkway towards the door over time.

Use motion sensing light switch or a timer so that the light in the room cannot be left on.

Last edited:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    dunno how much "on the cheap" is but this is pretty badass. i couldnt imagine it being too outrageous if youre building a house right now. it would add value to the house if you decide to sell later as well as a little bonus

http://www.hideadoor.com/doorprice_1.html
    Those are really cool. Wouldn't cost near as much to build I don't think. Depnding on lay out could try to design where small room of missing space wouldn't be that noticed.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    At a minimum I would use a double layer of 3/4 firerock for the walls and a industrial steel door with a reinforced door frame with the best deadbolt I could find.
    Concrete walls would be better but more expensive.
    If any way possible get a vault door.
    Here is a 4 hr self fill concrete vault door for $1200.

NEW!
    4 HOUR VAULT DOOR

1700lbs SELF-FILLED CONCRETE DOOR - ONLY $1199

Pentagon Vault Doors makes the biggest breakthrough in vault door design! Our new 5" thick Vault Door (8" overall thickness) is the first 4 HOUR Vault Door under $4000. Two layers of steel sandwich three vertical "U-Shaped" steel blast-resistors. After installation, customers pour concrete into the top of their vault doors, transforming their 750lbs door into a 1700lbs 4 HOUR FIRE VAULT DOOR!!! Limited Time Only -- ONLY $1199

Call for details:
    CALL 1-800-266-7150
    http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/defender.htm

jmaroon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    At a minimum I would use a double layer of 3/4 firerock for the walls and a industrial steel door with a reinforced door frame with the best deadbolt I could find.
    Concrete walls would be better but more expensive.
    If any way possible get a vault door.
    Here is a 4 hr self fill concrete vault door for $1200.

http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/defender.htm

I like the idea of firerock, but i want an inconspicuous door so that people don't say.. "wonder what he's hiding in there?"

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    You could put the vault door behind a "hide-a-door" of some type.
    Inconspicuous and secure.

More hidden door ideas. http://hiddenpassageway.com/

that rock wall one dropped my jaw. that was awesome. i was also coming back on here to suggest the idea of putting a vault door behind the hide a door. so that way even if they do find it they will hopefully be SOL. are you wanting this just as a gun room or as a panic room too?

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    This is the one I want:

secret-rooms_-5.jpg

But yeah, back to the OP. A secret door is good but a vault door behind it is better. Even if you cant afford it now leave a way for you to add it later if you can.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    I'm thinking of using a 20 X 20 shipping container set on the foundation and frame the house around it. Any ideas or comments appreciated.:cool:

Top Bottom