Thinking about getting a .22lr in semi-auto

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Truitt45

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Tickfaw
    I am wanting something fun and cheap to shoot. So I'm thinking about going down this path. So what do you recommend? Is there something that is tickling everyone's fancy?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Take your pick, gsg 1911-22, walther p22, m&p22, ruger sr22, ruger mark ii, III, and 22/45 variants, browning buckmark, s&w neo, or sig mosquito.

The rugers are built like tanks, have tons of aftermarket support and come and a variation for just about anyone/purpose. I own a threaded 22/45 and love it, shoots suppressed reliably and I was able to buy a rail and optic for it.

Also have a 1911-22 which runs great with the right ammo and it being clean.

Also have a walther p22 which I love, but definitely gotta keep it clean.

My brother has the m&p22 and it's been very reliable Everytime I shot it.

So you have plenty of options. Things to think about, are you ever gonna get a suppressor? Of so get one with the option. Thread adapters can be bought for the m&p, Walter, and gsg btw.

Truitt45

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Tickfaw
    I was thinking Ruger was going to be the way. I do like after market options. I don't think I'll be getting a suppressor any time soon. I am still curious about m&p 22 and the sr22.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    I recently switched over to a Ruger 22/45 after having a Buckmark for the longest time. Can't beat the Buckmark. Both are heavy. Buckmark ran fine without any mods to it. My only complaint about the Ruger, so far, is that the mags do not pop out like every other semi auto out there. I have to pull it out. Or maybe it is just mine.

I haven't shot any other .22 semi autos out there except for the Walther P22, and, IMO, avoid that like that the plague.

Truitt45

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Tickfaw
    Like I said I don't expect an amazing gun just something to plink with. So I'm thinking the 22/45 is right up my alley. I really don't want to spend a lot on one anyways. I'll probably pick one up used. What would a basic one run used?

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Pistol, or rifle?

I love my buck mark. For rifle, browning BAR 22 is my go to for varmints aroun my house. And just general fun.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    There's bushings you can buy to make the mags drop free and deactivate the magazine safety on the 22/45. Think it's the best 10 bucks I spent on that gun.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I have had great success with the ISSC M22 (Glock Clone), I own 2 that I use for "training" of newbies and they have been very reliable after putting about 300 rounds through them to make sure they were running correctly.

The Rugers are built like tanks but they also weight like one, the 22/45 is a good compromise since its "plastic"

M&P22 and Walther are technically the same thing with a different outer shell, the Sig gave me quite a bit of problems when I had one.

maadi47

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    zachary,la
    +20 for the Ruger

I've had Walthers and Berettas but always go back to my Ruger MKIII standard. It's a little heavy but IMO will last the rest of your life.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Take your pick as long as its in the Ruger Family you cant go wrong:
    MKI
    MKII
    MKIII

gunapprasial002-1.jpg

My MKIII now wears a Millett red dot and its a sweet combo.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Having both, I would say the M&P though made by walther, is still a better pistol than my p22, also its a bigger pistol.

Truitt45

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Tickfaw
    Thanks for all the input guys. Keep it coming. It will still be a bit before I get one. I'm still leaning a bit to the 22/45. Weight really doesn't bother me for this because I won't be carrying it.

Last edited:

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I have 6 simi's and one revolver in my collection of .22s. I agree the ruger standard model or browning buckmark are good choices for full sized models. For just plain fun I prefer smaller ones. I like a beretta 21a, my current favorite is a walther tph. The walther can be hatd to find and a bit pricey, but the ultimate decission is up to you. Try as many as you can before you buy. Good luck Dave

Top Bottom