Thinking about getting an iPad....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adam490

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Hammond, LA
    Switching jobs and have a lot of vacation pay that is going to be coming my way. Just curious as to what you guys that have the iPad think about it?

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    Awesome on the road. Pretty much all I use around my house too. I got the 3G, but cancelled my subscription until I travel again. Works good for surfing, email, movies.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You need to jailbreak or pay AT&T extra to tether anything. I am pretty sure you could tether a wifi ipad using MyWi on your Iphone. But again, what's the point if you already have an Iphone that you know you will take everywhere?

Adam490

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Hammond, LA
    If you were lucky enough to get PDAnet before it was pulled from the App Store a long time ago. Or pay the $20/month from ATT....

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Can you run flash/PDF w jailbreak? And how to jailbreak iPad?

I know there is an iPad otterbox.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Pick up this month's edition of Mac Life (Nov 2010). It has a whole section about jailbreaking and jailbreaking the iPad too...

I bought a pad a few months ago and really like it. I bought the 16gig non 3g and now wish I had bought the 64 gig 3g.

If you do a lot of traveling, it's the way to go for email, surfing and even picture hosting. I bought the 20.00 adapter that lets you upload pics from your camera via SD card and it is worth every penny. There are plenty free app out there that now work on the iPad and iPhone, so do some checking and re-download those that you use. When you go to the app store, it will tell you about those.

I also went ahead and bought pages, numbers and keynote so that I can read and work with MS Office items from my email.
    If you do or deal with pictures, the application Adobe PhotoShop Express is pretty much THE app for tweaking photos on the iPad.

With that said, the wife is getting this one and I'm buying myself a 64 gig 3g for Christmas.

I also love it for the book reader and have prolly over 700 books now.

The ONLY downside and I do mean ONLY is the Adobe flash player that Apple refuses to utilize in the iPhone, iTouch and iPads; but, other than that, you cannot go wrong.

x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    I'm an apple fanboy, I'm not going to lie. I have almost a dozen different apple products and can honestly say when the iPad was announced I was really disappointed, not for the generic " it's a big iPod" response I was just hoping for a full OS X tablet for around $1000+ but thought that an iOS for $500 was a fair compromise, but wasn't really interested, missing features, flash...etc.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, I bought one on the bestbuy card just for the 2 years interest free financing. The things the iPad does it does extremely extremely well, the multimedia abilities especially if u have a netflix account, or other Mac or pc in the house with iTunes are great. The portability is great , I have 2 company issue laptops that are free to travel if I want them too but it's just to cumbersome, I originally thought the iPad would live at home and get out for occasional road trips so I bought the wifi only version also because my phone had mywi already on it and is jailbroken on iOS 4.0.2 with limera1n so I knew I could tether with iphone data I already pay for to be unlimited, I hate AT&T....unlimited means unlimited, not unlimited until we find a way to charge you for something you already pay for!

Sorry...anyway, I have found that it is so easy to toss the iPad in my EDC messenger bag that it goes everywhere my bag goes, watch movies while eating lunch keep up with emails....etc. With that said, through apps it has become more than just a media device I use iCal as a daily planner for work assignments and appointments. I use easy budget, Mint, and Chase to keep track of finances, and bills. I use flipboard to read current events ranging from world, US, local, and even friends postings on Facebook, Twitter, etc. and the app automatically generated it to look like flipping through a magazine IMO it is the most original way to provide/receive content.

I'm an artist and with artstudio I have a full-fledged drawing program that is with me 24/7 whenever I need it an with a $15 stylus it's not a finger painting compromise
    I'm in process of testing a few handwriting note taking apps that will sync to all computers and devices instantly. With dropbox I have a cloud based storage system th stash/view files from anywhere. I could go on and on, the pont is it is so convenient that I don't think I've turned another computer on at home in the 3 weeks I had it other than to activate it.

There are many joys and uses for the iPad IMO it's a great device...until it's not. Lol.

Yes no flash sucks, html5 is gaining ground really fast, and is much better, but it's just going to take time. I do believe flash is on the way out, but I still really want flash.

The most important thing is to realize what its for and its limitations which will get better this month when ios update for iPad is released
    Then weigh that with maybe waiting for 2nd gen

No it can't do things a netbook can, no it can't run Crysis
    But neither can a cheap netbook
    I'm sorry and maybe it's just me, but if I can't do it on an iPad, chances are I really don't want to do it on a 13 inch netbook either

The balance for me has been this
    iPhone always in pocket
    iPad always in edc bag
    MacBook pro if I will be away from home for 2 days or more
    iMac at home, collecting dust

I think the Macbook/iMac is indicative of the iPad/netbook, sure the iMac can do a little more than the MacBook but not enough to separate it as owning both since they are used for such similar tasks.

Sorry so long of a post i just really wanted to voice my opinion since getting in an argument with someone about this

Point blank if u want a super-portable device that can handle basic to intermediate tasks and chew through media like rosanne at a ryan's buffet go for the iPad
    If it will get more intensive for business or work use definitely go for a NOTEbook

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    1. What does not having flash cost you? Is it just to watch flash intros on sites?

2. ANy word on when and what the next gen will be? I am wanting to get one when I get home, but if a new one will be out in the summer, I may just wait.

Top Bottom