Thinking about getting my first AK variant

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abh3vol.firemen

unskilled labor expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    houma,la
    how hard is it to build an ak ? i dont mean evey single screw and spring,but buying sub assemblies.trigger group,reciver group.would it also be cheaper?

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Whew! Brotha, it ain't worth it like it use to. By the time that you dish out $700-$800 in tools and jigs, you're in the negatives vs. a single $250-$350 AK Parts Kit. Way cheaper to just convert a Saiga. (Incidentally, "screws" are taboo on a build. They've been done, but they're not as trustworthy as rivets). Back in 2005 and subsequent years AK Parts Kits were $50-$100 a pop. Then was the time to get into the AK-game. Now, not so unless you just enjoy building. (I do).

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Is it hard? Not if you're mechanically inclined. Me, I've been around machinists my entire life, so the tools and concepts are 2nd nature.... Definitely easier to match uppers and lowers on an AR. AKs are just "raw". Rivets, sheet metal, and welds.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    If you DO get into building, you should build at least 10 kits straight in order to get out of the negatives. You figure $800+$350 is over 1K..... Then there's the issue of whether, or not to build on a blank, or pre-manufactured receiver. (Ex: Nodak Spud). Yipes!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What he said. Even if you already had the tools, or sweet talked someone into building it for free, with parts kit prices what theu currently are you'll spend a minimum $400 on parts alone for a bottom of the barrel Romy G kit build. If you want an original barrel kit or something a little nicer add $100 and up to that price.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    What he said. Even if you already had the tools, or sweet talked someone into building it for free, with parts kit prices what theu currently are you'll spend a minimum $400 on parts alone for a bottom of the barrel Romy G kit build. If you want an original barrel kit or something a little nicer add $100 and up to that price.

Holy smokes! Is that how much Romy-Gs are going for nowadays??? I heard that they were drying up, but crap! That's ridiculous!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Holy smokes! Is that how much Romy-Gs are going for nowadays??? I heard that they were drying up, but crap! That's ridiculous!

I figure $150 for a kit, $100-120 for a virgin barrel, $100 for a receiver and $50 for compliance/small parts. Original barrel G kits are ~$350 currently. It's just not the way to go financially. At this point the only reason I can see for building a kit is simply for the joy of building. Otherwise there's much better options out there, such as the Saigas.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    My most recent Romy-G:

268027_125585804196127_100002341235523_201173_6437597_n.jpg

Very, very sexy.

Mine is "evil" black-on-black-on-black-- Nodak Spud and all.

Abh3vol.firemen

unskilled labor expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    houma,la
    i live in houma were is a good place to buy a budget ak?i'd like to not spend over $600.i cant buy one now but i'd like to know where when its time.cabelas is usualy my first thought about gun purcheses because of lay-away but if none in stock i need a 2nd choice.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I'd just keep my eye out and buy one from one of the known ak guys on this forum :D Thats what I plan to do once my gun funds recover from building 300 blackout and buying supressor at same time.

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    Lots of great advice here :). I think I'll try to save up and get a converted saiga. I would try to get a kit, but I'm not the most mechanically adept person - maybe somewhere down the road. I definitely won't stop with one ak :D

asianak

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I just bought a romy G kit on the forums for $275 with original barrel. All it needs is a receiver which is about $55 from nodak. So for about $350 I'll have a very nice romy G AK

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ok looking for some advice here. I know NOTHING about AKs or variants, however today at the Lafayette gun show I talked to a guy who had a whole table full of em. I was looking at a WASR 10 and he told me I should go ahead and buy it before they go up. Q'est ca ce en Englais? He said that some guidelines changed and they wont be able to come into the US anymore with military barrels, and will have to be fitted with a non military barrel. They will be called W20s and they will cost more than the WASR 10s cause of the extra work of changing barrels.

SO, fact or bullcrap?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I was told on Thursday that the BATFE (in their infinite "we need a budget" wisdom) banned the import of all kits with bayonet lugs.

I'm not 100% on what specific parts this limits in the kit itself, but perhaps it's super-oxi-pinned to the barrel and the info you were given was accurate.

Top Bottom