Thinking of upgrading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    Well I currently own a Lee 4-Hole Turret press, and started to reload with it, now I am reloading for myself plus 2 others, could be anywhere from 300 - 600 rounds everytime we shoot, sometimes double that if we shoot both days. Well it seems i do well with the Little Lee press but I probably are doing a lil heavier reloading than I should be with it. SO with that being said, I should move on to a more heavier duty reloading setup like a Dillion. Now the 550 was suggested to me. But can any of you guys who has experience give me a shopping list so to speak, like what else I will need besides the dies I use for the Dillion? Thanks!
    KirK

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    If you are cranking up that many rounds why not look into the 650 with case feeder?

I have the 650 setup for 40S&W and she rocks on a good day I can load 1K round in no time.

You can bring the cost down if you take away some of the options such as the low powder alarm or the bullet tray, I did added the upgraded handle, the low powder alarm and the strong mount to mine as well as the tool kit, a great machine IMO.

I also have a Lee for .45ACP and she is OK, just not fast.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Hard to go wrong with a 550B. Buy it from Brian Enos. It will be the same cost as direct ordering from Dillon except Brian will provide free shipping and plenty of info either on his Web site or by phone to make sure you get exactly what you need.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    You can also buy it local, Lloyd Landry is a Dillon Dist. as well as Gary Thibodeaux.

They usually do a 10% discount on Dillons Price which will cover your LA Tax.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Pick up the phone and call Brian. He'll sell you what you want but he'll also tell you what you don't need. If you decide to set up for more than one caliber, he will let you know what parts of the conversion kit can be used for both calibers.
    Give him a call, you'll be glad you did.

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    CHIN CHIN the money train LOL! :D
    Is it a investment, yes it is, BUT look at all the guys who have their 550's, 650's, and so on, they still go them and keep them forever! They hold their value, they are a great asset, and once set up takes the guess work out of it, I think if I am going to keep shooting like I am, and reload for 3 others as well, this might be the thing to go to, am I right?

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The 1050 doesn't carry the "No BS" warranty. Save a few $ and get the 650 with casefeeder. Order it set up for .40S&W and get another toolhead for 9mm. 9mm will use the same casefeeder plate and shellplate. The 650 is all the press anybody will ever need unless they are loading commercially.

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    Well yall talked me into it, a Dillion 650 XL is now on order with all the bells and whistles ordered in .40 S&W along with a 9mm conversion. ALSO the Dillion RF 100 automatic Primer filler :)

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The 1050 machine is not covered by the Dillon warranty like the other machines. They consider that a commercial machine and it only has a 1 year warranty. It would be hard to believe your shooting that much ammo that you need a 1050. For the money buy 2 RL-550's and leave on set up for small primer and the other set up for large primers.
    To change the RL-550 from 40 S&W to 9mm all you need is a tool head with the different dies and powder measure. The base plate is the same for both.

Beauxdog :)

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The 1050 machine is not covered by the Dillon warranty like the other machines. They consider that a commercial machine and it only has a 1 year warranty. It would be hard to believe your shooting that much ammo that you need a 1050. For the money buy 2 RL-550's and leave on set up for small primer and the other set up for large primers.
    To change the RL-550 from 40 S&W to 9mm all you need is a tool head with the different dies and powder measure. The base plate is the same for both.

Beauxdog :)

The 1050 doesn't carry the "No BS" warranty. Save a few $ and get the 650 with casefeeder. Order it set up for .40S&W and get another toolhead for 9mm. 9mm will use the same casefeeder plate and shellplate. The 650 is all the press anybody will ever need unless they are loading commercially.
    A day late and a dollar short again:p

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom