This is Messed up

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Even with all of this bravado and argument, I hope this tragedy serves as a reminder to all who stumble across this thread how important having working smoke detectors and an emergency escape plan is for your household.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Malachi

Yes, I'm new.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Morgan City
    if the father arrived after the police, im sure the house was ABLAZE!!!!!, and in NO WAY able to enter. usually by the time police and fire arrive, the house is gone.

im a father, and even if a 0% chance of me surviving, im still going in. superman mentality takes over.

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    if the father arrived after the police, im sure the house was ABLAZE!!!!!, and in NO WAY able to enter. usually by the time police and fire arrive, the house is gone.

im a father, and even if a 0% chance of me surviving, im still going in. superman mentality takes over.

This is not necessarily the case, it depends on the location and the dept. It usually takes us in BR 3-5 min to arrive on scene and 5-7 min to get water on the seat of the fire. In a rural dept it might take them 20-40 min to arrive at the fire and the fire has had a HUGH head start and in most of these cases your right the house is gone. Also in your rural depts they might be short manned and interor fire attack and people rescues are very dangerous and hard to accomplish when you don't have enough hands there. In the cities with bigger depts plenty houses are saved but plenty things go wrong as well,old Murphy has his ways with his laws too and it depends also on how long it was burning before somebody called it in.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Dropped their kids off at 2:30am to go get some food. House catches on fire. Grandparents run out and forget the baby?!

Sounds like the whole situation is a cluster**** from the beginning. I can't imagine why the police wouldn't allow him in the house and it sounds pretty bad at facw value. But based on the facts so far I'll wait for more info.

And yeah, I would take the 10% chance. Hell even 1% would do it for me.

Phfffft. I'll take zero chance and "my child isn't dying alone".

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    If that was the case, the father's actions could have potentially put firefighter's lives in jeopardy by his actions.

Ultimately this.

I understand the officers actions. I even agree with them. It is an extremely bad day for all involved.

Even so, utilizing logic in quarterbacking the scenario, I would have still tried to enter the home. That's human. I would have also been devastated to learn somebody's father died trying to save me from a rash and dangerous decision.

As I said, a truly f---ed day for all. :(

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Is the life of a child worth a civil lawsuit? (I understand and agree with you, Im mainly just playing devils advocate because its lunch time and Im bored)

I wouldn't say a child's life is worth a civil suit. But policy, protocol and procedure is definitely worth a lawsuit.

The amount of money a small department spends directly affects the safety and medic gear they carry. Especially in today's economy where grants are being cut. Defense is expensive. Would I rather see them work under safety protocol and be able to afford newer oxygen tanks to save more lives? Hell yes.

And it's easy to say that because I know every fireman responding would give their left arm to keep from pulling out children from a house fire.

There is no doubt every innocent parent would react similarly. Even the officer who used the taser would fight the very next day to save his own children. It is parental response.

Top Bottom