This might start an argument....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    None since I googled it myself. But not everything on the net, especially google is true so I just tossed the info into file 13.

The majority of defensive ammunition fired from various firearms are not hearing safe. If you’re looking for a decibel chart, there are many available across the web. OSHA has standards for hearing protection for a reason. I’ll agree that there is a lot of misinformation on the web, so it’s best to verify claims.

roll_tide

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Pineville, LA.
    If it comes down to a defensive situation, my least worry is my hearing. My biggest concern is my life, the lives of my family and not my hearing or their's! No one can hear a thing if they are deceased so the hearing thing is a stupid and moot point! Can you hear me now? ;)

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If it comes down to a defensive situation, my least worry is my hearing. My biggest concern is my life, the lives of my family and not my hearing or their's! No one can hear a thing if they are deceased so the hearing thing is a stupid and moot point! Can you hear me now? ;)

That was my point. It’s all beyond safe hearing levels.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Wrong wrong.
    Go back to your google

Shotgun slugs and buckshot is pretty capable at penetrating, far more so than non-magnum pistol cartridges. To note: they make some frangible ammo in 5.56N and .223 that is designed not to kill beyond your man-sized threat and break up in wallboard. Sintered copper I believe. The company that used to sell them sold them as "Air Freedom Rounds" for commercial aircraft use. I believe a new company bought them out. Research it and you will find them. I have a handful of boxes of pistol AFR's and they work very well at killing wild pigs and other game animals according to a number of folks who use them successfully. I did my own tests years ago on pork shoulder with 9mm and it created a catastrophic wound channel with very small fragments exiting the shoulder and the majority remaining inside the shoulder. Their website dropped so I considered the cartridge company to be unreliable so I switched back to Liberty Civil Defense and Federal Hydra Shocks. I was also concerned with heavy clothes and a failure to penetrate light barriers like glass in a vehicle. They made a penetration version "black tip" for glass use, but they could never keep them stocked. Civil Defense cuts through materials, including kevlar from what I have read.

roll_tide

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Pineville, LA.
    That was my point. It’s all beyond safe hearing levels.

Okay. Sorry but I am not seeing your point as you were trying to make it. You started off with posts of ammo penetrating or not penetrating walls. Now you have switched to safe hearing levels and unsafe hearing levels. So, what is your point/stance exactly? Please forgive me because I am an old and feable man. Also, I see you have yourself hidden/invisable from the forum, what or who are you scared of to have them not see you on the forum? I know that I stand up to pee. Just wondering.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Okay. Sorry but I am not seeing your point as you were trying to make it. You started off with posts of ammo penetrating or not penetrating walls. Now you have switched to safe hearing levels and unsafe hearing levels. So, what is your point/stance exactly? Please forgive me because I am an old and feable man.

This whole thread is a cluster.

The point is choose a firearm you are proficient with and select ammunition that penetrates as it should. Sound levels are close across the board for pistol, rifle, and shotgun, so that shouldn't be a huge factor unless you are suppressing them. Everything goes through walls, so trying to select something that doesn't penetrate well is moronic.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    It’s largely irrelevant. None of them are hearing safe.

That was not my point. If you want to see the difference for yourself, shoot 50 rounds from a 9mm then 60 rounds from an AR at an outdoor range with no hearing protection.
    In any case, the ringing in my ears that the VA pays me 10% disability for had a lot more to do with rifle rounds than pistol rounds. Flights in the CH-53 did not help either.

roll_tide

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Pineville, LA.
    Can you elaborate? I'm invisible?

Yep, no green light next to your user name and no listing of you in the members on line at the bottom of the front page even when you are posting. Invisiable or hiding. It dont mater, if it is your thing and it works for you, then good. With that said I have never had the need to hide and I stand up to pee!

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yep, no green light next to your user name and no listing of you in the members on line at the bottom of the front page even when you are posting. Invisiable or hiding. It dont mater, if it is your thing and it works for you, then good. With that said I have never had the need to hide and I stand up to pee!

No clue. I've been here a while and it might have been something set a long time ago. I show up at the bottom of the page for me.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Wouldn’t be the strangest for you, James.
    Oh come on man, don’t tell me you’re reverting to the innuendo and veiled threats again. I thought we cleared up that creep stalking during our PM back and forth ages ago. I guess the rules don’t apply to you? Try not to be a creep Dave

roll_tide

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Pineville, LA.
    Oh come on man, don’t tell me you’re reverting to the innuendo and veiled threats again. I thought we cleared up that creep stalking during our PM back and forth ages ago. I guess the rules don’t apply to you? Try not to be a creep Dave

Okay, I am new here but I think some one here has an ax to grind. I just havent figured out who it is yet.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I was hinting at your consistent misconceptions.

The rules apply to everyone. Feel free to contact the admins and moderators if you feel I have broken a rule somewhere.

I distinctly remember our PM’s started with you demanding things.

roll_tide

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Pineville, LA.
    magdump is visible, dave_m is not. Who has the biggest ax to grind? Who is more closely connected to moderators or administrators to be protected? I usually dont pick sides but, who should I trust? On second thought, I am not going to take any side and just rely on myself. I know my values and where I stand.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom