This might start an argument....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    5.56- either 62 gr soft tips or 55gr ballistic varmint tips
    11.5" sbr
    silencerco omega
    surefire m600u
    aimpoint t1

have played with this set up on quite a few hogs both dead and alive from 60lbs to 275lbs, you would be supprised what bullets do when you actually try them.. works great for me in my situation for home defense ... or better yet i think it is my best option for home defense after all my testing, ill let yall know when i can verify it

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    cause we all know this is golden right??? :confused:

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
      attachment.jpg
      119.2 KB · Views: 91

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    id love to get my hands on some 77gr smk's but kinda late on it and dont see me getting them anytime soon unless i wanna pay $2 a round and at that price i cant affort to practice... maybe they will go down in price in about 4 years again

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Interior walls are one thing, I doubt that a 556 or 9mm would penetrate the outside brick walls. If you have a wood frame home, that's different.

snowman

Been there, done that
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    SE Baton Rouge, La.
    You may want to rewatch the video.

DAVD_M, I did as you suggested, I rewatched the video. My opinion hasn't changed. It's true there's no "magic bullet," as he says, but some are much, much better than others, such as Honady Critical Defense Lite. In my .38 Special J-frame, the 90 grain bullet is about as close as I can come to preventing overpenetration when I hit the threat. I'm just doing my due diligence, not dismissing the subject out of hand.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    DAVD_M, I did as you suggested, I rewatched the video. My opinion hasn't changed. It's true there's no "magic bullet," as he says, but some are much, much better than others, such as Honady Critical Defense Lite. In my .38 Special J-frame, the 90 grain bullet is about as close as I can come to preventing overpenetration when I hit the threat. I'm just doing my due diligence, not dismissing the subject out of hand.

First you dismiss it, now you agree with it?

Are you saying those who don’t carry light loads are being negligent?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I agree that having a plan is a good thing, but I can't help but recall two similar quotations that are worth mulling over:

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

and

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    Two good quoutes maybe however no one here is mike Tyson or Sun Tzu lol. I think anyone would agree to have to no sort of strategy or plan would be moronic. That would be like the individual who buys a gun and shoots a box of ammo through it the day they get it and then decided to tote it along with them for the next few years without even so much as doing some dry fire training.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You can be as self-responsible with your firearms as you possibly can or want; and that's great! You should try to be as responsible as you can. But, if you think your individual efforts to be as responsible with firearms as you possibly can is shared equally with others, you are sadly mistaken.

I would venture to say that there are a good many "gun owners" who are irresponsible buffoons. What is the point you ask? Well, let's say you are pondering this thread and taking the safety aspect of shooting a rifle in your house and worrying very seriously about where they projectiles may end up. Do you know for a fact your neighbor across the street takes discussions like this seriously too? What about your next door neighbors? Even down the street, based on the circumstances; a projectile can travel all the way down the block and blow your head off while you are watching tv or sleeping.

I have had bullets zooming over my head while working in the yard from a neighbor letting his kids shoot in his back yard in semi rural Ascension Parish. Don't know him personally, but obviously neither him nor his kids had any idea where there bullets were flying when they bounced off of the inanimate objects they were practicing on. They may not have even cared?!? He completely understood after stopped what I was doing and drove over to let him know he was going to kill someone.

Personally, I don't trust a lot of casual gun owners. You never know what they know, understand, or care about when it comes to their handling of firearms. I've seen ND's first hand, I've seen people come back to camp with loaded deer rifles, I've seen people leave live rounds in pistols in cases and range bags; and I have had bullets buzzing feet above me.

Now, I can guarantee someone on here is going to chime in and say they KNOW ALL THEIR NEIGHBORS and that WOULD NEVER HAPPEN in my neighborhood, but I bet they wouldn't be willing to stake their lives on it!! ;)

Ponder that!

DropOutGTS

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    New Orleans
    My first respond to a weapon for house defense will be either a shotgun or my person handgun with hollow points. My walls are thin and wouldn’t like to penetrate into another room haha. That’s just me.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Everyone knows 12 gauge 00 buck down the hallway is the way to go, Its even endorsed by yalls president BI-dum

He also said to fire two warning shots.
    I think he meant for the warning shots to be fired into the air from an upstairs balcony.

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    My thots are worth exactly what I'm charging for them:

.223/5.56 is probably one of the best rounds one could select for home defense, if the correct ammunition is selected.

Anyone who selects .223/5.56 would be well advised to employ a silencer.

Without a silencer, 5.56 is like a concussion grenade going off.

Be prepared to lose hearing.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My thots are worth exactly what I'm charging for them:

.223/5.56 is probably one of the best rounds one could select for home defense, if the correct ammunition is selected.

Anyone who selects .223/5.56 would be well advised to employ a silencer.

Without a silencer, 5.56 is like a concussion grenade going off.

Be prepared to lose hearing.

Every defensive caliber is going to be beyond safe hearing levels, especially when indoors. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to put a silencer on any home defense firearm you so choose.

Unsuppressed 9mm pistols are on par with the sound levels of 556.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    When you all say supressor.. Do you mean like a pillow wrapped around the barrel? Down feather? Synthetic? Memory foam?

Top Bottom