This really happened....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thesamunit

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    So my wife (god love her) wasn't paying attention and puts unleaded fuel in her Volkswagen TDI (turbo-diesel). THEN she drive it until it shuts down............

Needless to say, I need recommendations for a Volkswagen mechanic. The dealership quoted me $5,000(!!!) for the repair. Yeah, I'm not paying that much.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    So my wife (god love her) wasn't paying attention and puts unleaded fuel in her Volkswagen TDI (turbo-diesel). THEN she drive it until it shuts down............

Needless to say, I need recommendations for a Volkswagen mechanic. The dealership quoted me $5,000(!!!) for the repair. Yeah, I'm not paying that much.

A friend of mine after highschool did the same thing. :rofl:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    My dad's ex wife did the same in his f250, luckily she realized what she was doing after filling the front tank and stopped and drove home on what was left in the rear tank! Very close call.
    BTW, yes, you are in for a very large repair bill no matter who does the job.

YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I work at a diesel truck shop in Baton Rouge and we see this happen all the time. We don't mess with the imported diesels but most of the pre 2007 domestic pick up trucks can handle a tank of gas without too much damage.

Have you tried putting in fresh diesel and a fuel additive? Most of the time we are able to do that and get the trucks running without any permament damage to the fuel system.

As far as a import diesel mechanic, I recommend Wedge Kyes Automotive on Airline near Cedarcrest.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Ouch, I have almost done the opposite several times. After driving my diesel K5 so long I caught my self reaching for the green handle all the time with my new truck for the first 6 months. I can tell you it is not good on the injector pump, it is way too dry to lubricate it properly so you can pretty much bet it will have to be replaced.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Man I can almost identify I have a VW TDI also and worry about doing the same thing . My Grandson is a diesel mechanic for Catapilar in Hattisburg. I will ask him if he can help but keep in mind that diesel has a high oil base where gasoline has very little left in it after refining .
    Good grief I really feel for you, my 09 gets 50mpg highway miles.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Ouch, I have almost done the opposite several times. After driving my diesel K5 so long I caught my self reaching for the green handle all the time with my new truck for the first 6 months. I can tell you it is not good on the injector pump, it is way too dry to lubricate it properly so you can pretty much bet it will have to be replaced.

dont think the diesel pump with fit in gas, but the gas nozzle does fit in the diesel spout..

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    dont think the diesel pump with fit in gas, but the gas nozzle does fit in the diesel spout..

I think it depends on the station. The newer pumps, and truck stops have the larger nozzles, but I have been to a good bit of stattions that have the little nozzles on the diesel pumps. Then again it has been a couple years since I had a diesel truck.

MrsBuck8Point

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=306489

This info may help you. My hubby and I would definitely try the drain, filter change, power boost, and 2 stroke oil.

A friend of mine ran gasoline in his power stroke until it killed. He's a mechanic. He drained the tank, changed the filter, and filled it up with diesel. He's still running that truck today.

Hope everything works out well. Keep us updated.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly

Drain the tank, refill with diesel, change filter a few times, good to go.

thesamunit

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=306489

This info may help you. My hubby and I would definitely try the drain, filter change, power boost, and 2 stroke oil.

A friend of mine ran gasoline in his power stroke until it killed. He's a mechanic. He drained the tank, changed the filter, and filled it up with diesel. He's still running that truck today.

Hope everything works out well. Keep us updated.

I asked Tom at the VW dealership about this and he told me that since it was driven until it stalled, that the entire fuel system needed replacing. I can feel myself going grey.....

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    My research finds some depressing news for you. The injector pumps are relatively fragile and is likely doa. I can't make a call on the injectors. Sorry but it kind of sux to be you right now.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom