This really happened....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirk70301

Jack of all trades
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Thibodaux , LA
    I work on diesel engines every day . I would pump the tank as dry as possable and fill it to the top with fresh fuel and add a fuel additive. Replace the fuel filters and bleed the crap out of the fuel system . I think you would be alright after that if the seals in the inj. pump aren't damaged . Its worth a try before paying outragous prices.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    my buddy owns a motorcycle shop in br. its amazing how many people they have that bring in a bike with a tank of diesel asking why it smokes so much. lol.

i agree on drain and flush, try the cheap before you dump the big money down.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    My uncle just did the same thing with his TDI last week, drove from Juban to Walker and then it wouldn't restart. I drained the tank, refilled with fresh diesel, blew the fuel lines out with compressed air, removed old fuel filter, filled new fuel filter up with fuel and installed it, pressured fuel tank up slightly with air (have to be careful here) cracked all the injector lines and spun motor over till fuel ran from the lines, started car, drove like normal! Believe me I did this last week, took about 2 hours, but saved my uncle a ton. BTW my best friend is the shop foreman at Southpoint VW, he told me what to do. Let me know if I can help! It's not as bad as it sounds. If the pump and injectors did take a crap you are only out time and a fuel filter!

Bam Bam

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    An old boss of mine did the same thing to his BRAND NEW shiny white Econoline utility truck. He was stuck on the side of the road in Gautier Mississippi for two days with a shade tree mechanic who left him upside down of $1500 and ended up getting towed to a repair shop in Ocean Springs where it was fixed.
    Don't know the final cost.
    He was one of those bible thumping assholes who keeps the good book on the dash where everyone can see it but'll steal your gold teeth if he gets half a chance.
    Couldnt've happened to a nicer person.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    A friend of mine's wife did it to his 2500. I think she put about 60 miles on it before it shut down. Then told him how poorly his truck was running that day and that it would no longer start. :mamoru:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    My research finds some depressing news for you. The injector pumps are relatively fragile and is likely doa. I can't make a call on the injectors. Sorry but it kind of sux to be you right now.

If the injector pump is bad, you have nothing to loose by a flushout. If it needs replacing, it needs replacing. Unless it was run dry I doubt its done for.

Remember new ultra low sulpher diesel is closer to gasoline in the amount of solvents and lubricity so most of the gaskets and orings can take a gasoline wash.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I just asked my friend what he ended up having to do on his 2500HD

I replaced the injector o rings

Dropped the tank, and drained it

Put some cleaner in the new fuel and they drove it thru

Was $350 to $400 or so I think, but I did it because my engine is about $12,500 and $300 to $400 was a small price to pay {no issues since}

{she drove 60 miles + with it though}, depends on how much diesel was in, etc{ we had ¼ tank diesel in when she put 7 gallons of gas in

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I work on diesel engines every day . I would pump the tank as dry as possable and fill it to the top with fresh fuel and add a fuel additive. Replace the fuel filters and bleed the crap out of the fuel system . I think you would be alright after that if the seals in the inj. pump aren't damaged . Its worth a try before paying outragous prices.

+1 to this and the other similar reply. It's F-ed now, so by doing this and trying you won't damage it any more than it already is. If I had to take a flying guess, I would say that once it started getting more gasoline than diesel into the cylinders is when it quit. So it may not have had enough time to damage any pumps. Just know that if you go this route over the dealers replace everything approach, you should expect the possibility of said pump having a premature death.

YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just know that if you go this route over the dealers replace everything approach, you should expect the possibility of said pump having a premature death.

Exactly. I have recently had 2 customers with 08-09 Ford Superdutys with 6.4L diesels that put gas in them. They towed them into a local Ford dealership and was quoted ~$9000 to repair. Ford was going to replace all injectors, fuel pumps & lines. Yes, that would fix the problem but way overkill IMO. We were able to pump the gas out of the truck, flush the lines, and refill with fresh diesel and additive. It costs the customers about $500 and they are still on the road today without any permament damage.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    My uncle just did the same thing with his TDI last week, drove from Juban to Walker and then it wouldn't restart. I drained the tank, refilled with fresh diesel, blew the fuel lines out with compressed air, removed old fuel filter, filled new fuel filter up with fuel and installed it, pressured fuel tank up slightly with air (have to be careful here) cracked all the injector lines and spun motor over till fuel ran from the lines, started car, drove like normal! Believe me I did this last week, took about 2 hours, but saved my uncle a ton. BTW my best friend is the shop foreman at Southpoint VW, he told me what to do. Let me know if I can help! It's not as bad as it sounds. If the pump and injectors did take a crap you are only out time and a fuel filter!

Bam Bam

This man is in the know!

CAJUNLAWYER

crusty old bastard
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Iberia Parish
    Didn't she read that little "Diesel Fuel Only" sticker on the fuel cap????
    and people wonder why husbands die before their wifes......... IT'S BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!!!!!!!!!

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    225-343-7525 (Jeff Cobb Auto Works)

Jeff may be able to fix the problem, but we don't usually see cars with the wrong fuel. You'd have to ask him if he wants to do it. We do work on everything European, from Land Rover to Ferrari.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Afew of my clients had a similar problem a few years back. One gas station had their tanks refilled with the wrong stuff. They were selling diesel at the unleaded pump. Must have cost them a chunk repairing all of those cars...

thesamunit

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Alright, I'm gonna try Bam Bam's method (with help from Bam Bam himself) and cross my damned fingers. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Top Bottom