Thoughts about dwindling down on collection

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boomer51

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2023
    Deridder, LA
    jbadjones, I'm sure you have some close shooting buddies that covet something you own. Just hand it to one and watch em light up. I have some odd calibers, 6/06, 243AI, 25-06AI, that I'll give to a couple friends I know will use and appreciate them. A couple years ago I gave a 20 ga single shot to a young man, with parents permission, who couldn't afford one.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Well if anyone has some they want to get rid of to a good home, I have plenty of room for them. Ensure your firearms stay in 2A friendly hands and keep doing what they were designed to do for years to come lol.

I’m only 33 but I can see how this may be a different conversation for me when I’m older. I have twin boys so I’m assuming they will inherit the vast majority of my collection. If I didn’t have kids or anyone to pass them down too I’d probably sell off the majority and maybe do something like keep my top 5 I like the most. Maybe top 10 lol.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Only you can determine when it is that point in life where it time to sell off your collection. My Father had thousands of model trains he started collecting after retirement from the Marines. He started selling that collection at 85 years old and passed away at age 95. His timing was perfect.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    As I get older , I start to look at life differently . When I was a kid , I started collecting foreign coins and currency . My collection grew over the years , but now it just sits there collecting dust so to speak . Nobody is interested in it and I would hate for all of it to just get packed away when I die .
    Same with my Garand . I never shoot it anymore . My kids and grandkids would not appreciate it for what it really is . My wife needs a new laptop . Maybe it's time to part with it ..

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    As I get older , I start to look at life differently . When I was a kid , I started collecting foreign coins and currency . My collection grew over the years , but now it just sits there collecting dust so to speak . Nobody is interested in it and I would hate for all of it to just get packed away when I die .
    Same with my Garand . I never shoot it anymore . My kids and grandkids would not appreciate it for what it really is . My wife needs a new laptop . Maybe it's time to part with it ..
    You know I stopped by an estate sale the other day and people were just tossing stuff around like junk, I just looked around and and realized that was someone’s whole life of collecting (kinda sad).

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    I'd encourage you to limit your calibers. I'm trying to stick with the most common ones, unless I just really like the gun and reload for it. I've still got more calibers than needed with 9, 38, 357, 44, 45+ rifle stuff. Just don't want to have a gun but no ammo for it. The idea already mentioned of selling the common, less expensive stuff and have a nice older out of production piece is nice.
    This is in line with what I've been doing recently. Haven't sold anything in forever, but my recent purchases have all been calibers that I already have and have ammo stocked for.

Well. Except for that Winchester Model 94 that jumped out at me on GB.....

Top Bottom