Thoughts on .45 ACP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    As competition shooters you both have a leg up but you may be surprised. In any event I may be coming into some Glock Sim Uppers soon. If I do you can both have your shot.
    Tell me if you need another training dummy.... I'm very out of practice after the last school term and will be around for a couple weeks.

Hell, comes to that... How much for 2 more?

operator223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    All I would have to say is carry whatever you like and have confidence in. After that... get regular practice..... shot placement is absolutely important no matter what you carry. Shooting skills are perishable. The more you shoot while making effort to improve will increase your chances. Dry fire with a laser shot indicator is better than nothing. (I use the laserlyte RT45 laser cartridge), practice drawing, drawing drawing.

All the talk of calibers dont mean anything unless you got skilz !!!!

Bayou Boy

Send it!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Quitman, LA
    This may have been hashed and rehashed, but here's a link to some interesting information. It's VERY long! The end result is the guy who sees over 8 autopsies per day says he would carry a 45 every time.

"I see an average of 8.2 autopsies per day/365 days per year, and I can tell you that when the chips are down, there's nothing that beats a 12-gauge. As for handguns, the name of the game is not only shot placement but how a properly-placed bullet acts once it gets there. I've seen folks killed by a bb to the eye and others survive after being hit by several well-placed rounds with a 9mm.

As for me, I'll take a slow-moving .45 to a gun fight any day. I absolutely despise a 9mm for defensive situations (yes, they will eventually kill but often not quickly enough to prevent the BG from doing you in first)and a .380 as well. These are probably the two calibers I see most often on the autopsy table."

Shot placement is KEY. The first shot is usually the one that counts. But never forget, you can't miss fast enough in a gunfight to win.

It can be argued either way, but OPINION vs FACT are often two different things.

http://www.mouseguns.com/deadmeat.htm

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Massad Ayoob once said that he tends to carry a .45 ACP more during the winter months due to cold weather restricting blood flow in a human target.

What are some of your thoughts on this?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Massad Ayoob once said that he tends to carry a .45 ACP more during the winter months due to cold weather restricting blood flow in a human target.

What are some of your thoughts on this?

Mas has an opinion like everyone else.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Sure if we lived in Alaska ....

:rofl:

He did mention about heavier layers of clothing possibly effecting reliability of expansion in hollow point rounds. I guess that could be a factor even down here- because it's not uncommon to see people walking at night in 55 deg weather dressed like they just flew in from Fairbanks. :dogkeke:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    As competition shooters you both have a leg up but you may be surprised. In any event I may be coming into some Glock Sim Uppers soon. If I do you can both have your shot.

Oh, I harbor no illusions about what a wake up call it would be. I just wanna try it out and get the trigger time, in order to improve.

Put me 1v1 on Joe and I'd feel better about it, haha!

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I haven't read this whole thread, it's an old one and I'll be interested in going through it and seeing all the replies.

That said, I don't know if this has already been mentioned but seems to me the ultimate round for power, speed and size for carry purposes is the 357. It offers you the options of shooting 38spcl, to keep range cost down, and then when you want the highest levels of ballistic performance, you've got the 357. You just get the best of all worlds. If you are not a revolver guy, there are even some semi-auto 357 pistols, but I don't know if they are reasonable options. However, a 357 snubby is a heck of a carry option, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Five years later? How did you even find this thread? And why bump it lol

I guess some topics just never die....lol.

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    Had a Sig .380 and hated it cos it kicked like a mule. HK .45 just to big. loved my service weapon Browning .9mm British army issue, but given Vanilla Gorillas issue of firefights and mag changes which I totally understand, I'll never be operating in that environment. So I'll stick with 3 to 5 shots from my SW 686. Knock the balls off a gnat anyday.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I carry a .380 at (almost) all times and a larger capacity 9mm when knowingly going into high traffic areas. 9mm is a pretty solid round for a handgun caliber. (Which in reality all handgun calibers are pretty crappy) Id rather have a few extra chances to bleed somebody out than rely on my sharpshooter skills with a short barreled handgun. Everybody will have different opinions and answers and all of them will be right and wrong in different situations. The problem is that life has too many variables to plan for every one. Just gotta do your best and hope at the end of the day you are alive to see if you made the right choices.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm an old-school guy who prefers exposed hammer pistols. I own two John Browning -designed large frame autos, the Colt M1911(.45ACP) and the Browning Hi-Power (9mm). I love them both. I like the knock-down potential of the .45ACP but I also like the low ammo cost and the variety of options for the 9mm including the 30-round magazines that I have for the Hi-Power. If I was faced with defending the homestead I think that I could get the job done with either one. However, if I was given the choice in the threat response I would reach for the .45. This debate has gone on for years in thousands of settings. What I find telling is that so many people have both. That makes me think that it is 6-5 and pick-em. On one of the History Channel programs about the British SAS (who originally used the Browning Hi-Power in 9mm) the show claimed that the SAS were always were taught to "double tap" every shot with the 9mm. If you are shooting two rounds every time, that sort of negates the weight/quantity benefit of the 9mm. There's nothing like the heft and ergonomics of the 1911; It feels substantial in your hand." It is a quintessentially "American" gun. I recently got a Kimber conversion kit for 1911's that allows .22LR use for inexpensive practice and plinking. That reduces the cost of proficiency.

Top Bottom