Thoughts on .45 ACP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjacob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    In my experience ALL handgun bullet hit like handgun bullets. i.e. They're designed to be fired from a weapon you can carry all day and shoot from your hands. I've never noticed a difference in treating pt's shot with any duty sized handgun cartridge. However, rifles and shotguns are a HUGE difference. I say carry any handgun that makes you feel confident in your abilities to hit a target under stress. In my opinion, the mental aspect of that confidence will increase your likely hood of surviving a gun fight more than caliber.

Dave

i'd feel pretty confident with a .45, provided I can shoot it well.

look, i've never been shot, but no matter where a bullet hits you and whatever caliber, I can't imagine it feels good, and the majority of people will probably freak out and collapse or run. I know that if i get a penetrating wound, not just a graze, i'd stop, heck a gun pointing at me will stop me.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    . In my opinion, the mental aspect of that confidence will increase your likely hood of surviving a gun fight more than caliber.

Dave

Carefull there, that "mental confidence" can also be a False Sense of Security that under stress will make you kiss it good bye

Just saying .............

wlwindham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Fact a 45 has more stopping power than a 9mm . normal practice ammo prices between the two cal's isnt that much different so neither will break the bank , however the 45 has a big ace up its sleve in the price war , it has available conversion kits for 1911 models of thegun that for a modest cost makes your big bad killing machine a training plinker that will allow you hundreds of hours of traget time to develope muscle memmory using cheaP 22 lr AMMO and really it is two guns instead of one , while i am not foolish enough to say use the 22 for protection it would be nice to have a few thousand rounds on standby (22LR) for very little cost anda gun that you can draw quickly and hit what you aim at cause you were able to practice as much as needed and when needed it has the punch to protect you and yours . i like 9mm by the way , buy i dont trust it to knock down and keep down some drug crazed idiot whereas if same idiot comes as me and i place a flying ashtray followed by a super slug center mass i have no fears that he will be getting up to bother me anymore , i just trust a 45 pure and simple

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Stopping power is a myth, and advantage arms makes Glock .22 conversion kits.

The new bonded ammo closes the "gap" between 9 and .45 it's immaterial.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have treated hundreds for GSW's and have evaluated thousands.

Fact is, a defensive carry piece is for defense.

If one can put one 9mm into an attacker's mid chest; the attack will be OVER ! The BG will suddenly have something more pressing to worry about.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I have treated hundreds for GSW's and have evaluated thousands.

Fact is, a defensive carry piece is for defense.

If one can put one 9mm into an attacker's mid chest; the attack will be OVER ! The BG will suddenly have something more pressing to worry about.

Like his worthless, miserable excuse for a life.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    9mm is better than .45ACP. Here is why:

Capacity; the higher cap of 9mm guns helps you avoid the dreaded in gunfight mag change.

Ease of shootin; less recoil makes it faster and often more accurate to shoot.

They myth of ...all I need to do is hit you with one of these big suckers is just that a myth. I also, and this is subjective, prefer the 9mm platforms out there over most of the .45 platforms. Personally I will take 15+ Rounds of 9mm, with modern JHP ammo over 7+ Rounds of .45 anyday.

Yep. That sums it quite well.

And 9mm doesn't cost 50 cents per round to train on. Of course, u can reload and drastically reduce this cost but 9mm is more cost effective.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In my experience ALL handgun bullet hit like handgun bullets. i.e. They're designed to be fired from a weapon you can carry all day and shoot from your hands. I've never noticed a difference in treating pt's shot with any duty sized handgun cartridge. However, rifles and shotguns are a HUGE difference. I say carry any handgun that makes you feel confident in your abilities to hit a target under stress. In my opinion, the mental aspect of that confidence will increase your likely hood of surviving a gun fight more than caliber.

Dave

Well put. I have numerous trauma docs as friends (2 are shooters) and they speak as you do.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    you prove my point VG. i keep reading people talking about wanting to have more rounds, but really, how many of those rounds will you get a chance to fire? i feel like if i don't hit with the first shot, i may not get another one, so what does it matter if shot two is as accurate? i feel like i'd either crap my pants and hide, or shoot once or twice and hide, but i'm not going to stand there and rip of 30 something rounds at someone. you pretty much admitted that most people can't make use of one bullet let alone 30. I never said my first shot will hit perfect, but if it doesn't, it won't matter what the next shot does because I may not be around to fire it. so what is the advantage of 13 rounds to 9? or even 1?

Don't assume that u won't get a second, third or sixth shot. You've painted yourself into a proverbial corner. I'm DEAD CERTAIN that some here have plans to empty-reload-empty if it comes down to it. Hell, I'm prepared to choke you to death with just the magazine, if necessary - and I've no preconceived idea just how that would work. LOL!

Seriously, MINDSET, PREPARATION and MENTAL PREP/ability to remain calm under extreme circumstances are key to any undertaking where bodily injury is possible.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yet another arguement folks will never agree 100% on.:chuckles:

I don't think you can go wrong with either- or a .40, for that matter. These are defensive caliber handgun rounds. All three are capable manstoppers, and all three are capable of failure, as well.

But I sure as hell don't want to be on the receiving end of ANY of them.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I Guarantee if I took a sample of 10 people from this forum, in a force on force training evolution, and set them up to run dry maybe 2 out of 10 would seek cover before they did a mag change. Only one of those would be able to execute a clean mag change. All 10 would be shocked about how poorly they shot. Shooting people who don't wanna be shot is difficult. Shooting people who are shooting back is very very difficult. How many posters here train with a timer to introduce some element of stress? How many have ever used sims to conduct Semi-Live Force on Force Training? Before you pat yourself on the back about how accurate your first shot is or any shot you make is do it under stress. My bet is you will be shocked.

Correct. My initial, unscripted reaction was to move away from the shooter and using the pistol strong hand only.

Not exactly how we all train but there it is.

I'd say that the vast majority won't like the shooting proficiency or lack thereof. Cool training aid nevertheless.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I carry my G26 nowadays about 100% of the time because it makes sense to me. A sensible gun with 13 sensible rounds of 124grn +p gold dots and an extra 24 at bay. The possibilty of carrying a .45 looms on the horizon but won't venture into that until I'm confident with that caliber so I stick with what I know and work with the other in the mean time. I've always owned handguns in the 30 cal family so when it was time to step into the 4s, I chose the .45 because it's what I preffered when compared to the .40.

I have all faith in 9mm and .45 and stopping,IMO, is relative. There is no magic bullet,it's a chance you take when you shoot someone and what damage a bullet will do in a human body. You can get lucky with a 9 and a 45 might insure more damage but nothing is ever written in stone.

The thing is,if I'm going to use a gun to defend myself or a loved one, I'm going to expel whatever amount of lead it's going to take to put the assailant down. I will make sure that individual will expire and with just and reasonable cause, so help me God.

Jdalton

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Buy a 45. If u dnt like it sell it. Both guns will kill, its jst a matter of witch one ur more comfotable with. I carry a 9 and a 45 depending on the day. Im shure u and ur attacker wnt care what caliber ur shooting when the bullets start flyin. The key is to have a gun when u need it. Cheers:)

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    As competition shooters you both have a leg up but you may be surprised. In any event I may be coming into some Glock Sim Uppers soon. If I do you can both have your shot.

Top Bottom