Thoughts on my first time at the range today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, I finally shot my first handgun today. Started with a Ruger Mk III, then moved to a 686 plus (shooting .38 specials of course), and then moved to a glock 17. As I expected, all of these rental guns were filthy, but the only one that had a malfunction was the Ruger (looked like a failure to feed, but I wasn't sure). On the follow up shots, I seemed to pick up the Glock's sights the fastest, which was a surprise to me. I really had no idea where to put the 686 front sight within the rear sight because I couldn't see it very well. Going to the glock from the 686 was crazy. There's so many more moving parts on a semi-auto. I wished I could just grab the slide and control the recoil that way, but it doesn't work like that, haha. My hand is still kind of sore. We only shot 3 boxes of ammo in total, don't know if I could've shot more.

I have to admit, I was a little bit scared going into it. It seemed like the whole time was there, I was kind of scared of the gun itself. My hands never stopped shaking, but I still somehow laid down some pretty good groups for my first time ever. I focused hard on pressing the trigger and not jerking it around so that it didn't throw my shots to the left or right and sure enough, I pulled the target in and found that at one point, I shot a few almost on top of each other. I attach a picture of the targets but my dad was shooting on my targets as well so they're very cluttered and the shots are all over the place.

Overall, this experience was one of complete sensory overload. My ear muffs were being slightly lifted off my head because of my glasses so sometimes between shots, I could hear my ears ringing a little bit. Next time, I'm going to wear both ear muffs and ear plugs. Between the noise, trying to control the recoil, focus on the front sight (I'm left handed, but right eye dominant), maintain a good grip on the gun, hit the target, obey all the safety rules, etc. it was just...crazy, but I want to do it again. My friend took a video of me shooting the Glock, which I can post here if you guys want! I'm always up for some constructive criticism.

- Sam

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't turn 21 for another 8 months, but I'm thinking Glock 19 at this point. The 686 frame felt a little bit big for my hand, but then again I really don't know if my grip was totally correct.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Nice job on the write up, and thanks for sharing. Learn the fundamentals of shooting and it will serve you well the rest of your life. Keep it up!

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    You can legally buy from a private party at age 18, if you wanted one before turning 21. You must be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer only.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You should be able to get back on the Glock sights faster because they're bigger. Good shooting, are you a lefty?

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Welcome to the club!
    Now that you're no longer a total newbe, the experiences will get better and better and soon you will be having a lot of fun. Don't jump right into magnum shooting, they can be intimidating and in some cases punishing. 22 LR and 38 special are great starters.
    Ear protection goes a long way to making shooting enjoyable, plugs and muff's are great. I wear glasses too and can relate and I'm right handed and left eye dominate to boot. Do whatever it takes to NOT have ringing ear's .
    Shooting is like learning to drive a car, a lot to learn and remember at first but after awhile everything becomes second nature. Like driving , safety is the most important aspect.
    Don't worry too much about shooting fast, concentrate on accurate shooting, speed will come naturally. Besides , hitting what you're shooting at wins the day, misses will just get you killed.
    Gary

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Hi Sam. Welcome to the world of shooting. "Practice makes perfect" is true for most things in life and especially with shooting. You're fortunate to be coming into shooting at a time when so much instruction is available free of charge via the internet. If you haven't already, you should look around the net for some videos to view before your range time. It's amazing how a small tip can improve your performance. The National Shooting Sports Foundation NSSF has a youtube channel had a good series on handgun basics film at the Gunsite facility featuring their staff. Start with this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK8Cb9zIK60&index=27&list=PLA0F0224E3C93263E
    Glocks are great guns, I own two. But there's a whole wide world of pistols out there and you should look around before you buy. Springfield and Smith & Wesson have striker fire pistol similar to Glock with slightly different feels in the hand and trigger pulls (some are smooth & some are crisp, some long & some short). Make a few trips to you local gun shops and feel the differences. Beretta makes fine weapons , so does HK and Sig Sauer so look around and ignore most of what the counter guys tell you. They mean well but I've overheard a lot of bad advise browsing the gun cases. In fairness I've heard some good advise as well. Get someone to explain the difference in trigger pulls, if you buy a Glock (or a similar striker fire pistol) know that the trigger pull is a lot lighter than a double action Sig. They both have advantages and disadvantages.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Congrats, sounds like a great first step! You will find that this hobby is very addictive. After a lot of practice, it is very rewarding to watch your groups tighten up.

My son is right-handed, left eye dominant. I cannot stress enough the importance of training yourself to sight with the same-side eye as your trigger hand. My son used to cock his head at an angle just to sight with his left eye while firing with his right hand. A little square of masking tape on the left lens of his shooting glasses did the trick, blocking his left eye and forcing him to use the right. Years later, he now has trained himself to shoot with his non-dominant eye... and his shot groups reflect it.

Happy shooting! When you gonna move up to rifles? ;)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Good shooting and nice fluffy vest! :P

Try to not squeeze the grip of the gun as hard. You certainly don't want it to fall out of your hand while shooting, but you don't want to be super squeezing it in anticipation of recoil. Lightening up on the grip of the gun will help with the shaky hands a bit.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Congrats, sounds like a great first step! You will find that this hobby is very addictive. After a lot of practice, it is very rewarding to watch your groups tighten up.

My son is right-handed, left eye dominant. I cannot stress enough the importance of training yourself to sight with the same-side eye as your trigger hand. My son used to cock his head at an angle just to sight with his left eye while firing with his right hand. A little square of masking tape on the left lens of his shooting glasses did the trick, blocking his left eye and forcing him to use the right. Years later, he now has trained himself to shoot with his non-dominant eye... and his shot groups reflect it.

Happy shooting! When you gonna move up to rifles? ;)

I would respectfully disagree with this. There are tons of very good shooters who are cross eye dominant and shoot with their dominant eye, while gripping the pistol with their dominant hand. Rather than trying to retrain your entire lifetime of using one eye more than the other, work with what you have.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/mobile/article.php?id=31736

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    I'd highly recommend checking out Gomez8136 on YouTube for some thoughts on shooting carrying as well as training info. He was a sharp dude and always explains the reasoning behind what he chooses to carry, or why he handles things a certain way.

Top Bottom