TigerShark Suppressor Review

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Today was the first day that I had a chance to really get a few rounds down range with the new TigerShark. http://www.sharksuppressors.com/Product.aspx?id=2 With the can on the rifle shooting "regular" supersonic loads I did have a Point Of Impact (POI) shift. It dropped my 100 yard zero 0.5 MIL with the can on the rifle. I did not notice any difference from the first round versus subsequent rounds shooting through the suppressor that some shooters claim other manufacture's cans produce. The new Gemtech Sandstorm has some reports of this happening where the first shot through the can is different from subsequent shots. I ran a 10 shot group at 100 yards and all the rounds were touching in a big cluster. With regular power ammo the sound is still very noticeable, but it is quiter just not anywhere near "Hollywood" quiet. Which BTW is a total myth with any center fired rifle shooting full power loads. What I did notice is that the recoil is reduced. Now it is on a 308Win which admitedly does not have any significant recoil to begin with but it was noticeable. The TigerShark is rated for Magnum chambering so I would think on a 300 Win Mag it would be very beneficial.

With no can on the weapon from a 100 yard zero my correction for 300 yards is 1.3 MIL's. That was the max distance I could acheive at the range we were shooting at. I had a 6" diameter reactive steel plate set out at 300 so I dialed my normal 1.3 plus the additional 0.5 MIL that the suppressor showed at 100 yards for a total of 1.8 MIL's. It hit the plate dead center on the elevation and slightly right which I would bet was the left to right wind as I had not dial or held for wind.

Now I loaded up some subsonics (Lapua brass, CCI BR2, 10.7gr TrailBoss, 180gr Hornady RN, 2.650" OAL). With the can on: obviously, it was a 4 MIL correction from my 100 yard zero with out the can. It basicly sounds like a good .22cal air gun, such as RWS. So you still can hear it but basicly no one would think you were shooting a .308Win. I had chronoed these loads before I recieved the can and they were shooting between 1050-1080 fps. I need to test again with the suppressor on.

I actually did a video where I shot 2 rounds supersonic without the can, 2 rounds supersonic with the can and 2 rounds subsonic with the can all in one shot for comparsion. However, the damn wind was howling so bad that it is really shitty sounding. I wish it had come out better and I would have posted it to youtube. I may shoot it at 600 yards on Sunday and just add 0.5 MIL to my 600 yard DOPE to confirm that all I need to do to all my DOPE's.

I still need to shoot it a few more times to determine if taking it on an off changes anything. This usually is more of a problem with QD models. But so far so good.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I was out at the range today and Lanny asked if I was going to be bringing my suppressor. I had to hang my head and tell him that the Form 4 still hasn't come through yet, but if you bring this thing it'll get some attention for sure! Good write up and I hope that we get to compare it and the Cyclone once I get it. See ya on Sunday!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    That setup is just freaking sweeeeeet, one day I hope I can get into this with you guys for now USPSA will have to do as I really cannot afford another hobby :(

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Have you shimmed the can to see if the POI shift is weight / harmonics or baffle disturbance. You may be able to reduce POI shift to nothing or at least less than what it is now.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Good review, havent heard one in person yet but from what ive read the 300blk/whisper is pretty close to hollywood quiet for a centerfire rifle round.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I've heard Freeman Machines custom can he built for a 45-70 crack barrel, Recoil was almost no existent and no ear protection needed. Sounded more like a .22lr pistol! Heck even my 11yr old boy shoot it and he don't like recoil. It's amazing what a good can can do for a rifle!

Thanks for the review Barney!

Bam Bam

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My buddy has a 338 whisper, Encore, I swear the round hitting is louder than the shot, I dont know the name of the suppressor

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    I haven't tried shimming as POI shift doesn't bother me as long as it is consistant and I can correct for it.

I specified "full power" meaning SUPERsonic centerfire. Yes you are correct that it is the best .30 cal suppressed chambering as it was designed from the ground up to be.

I consider it full power because it has more energy then a supersonic 5.56. Good enough for me.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Well I now have enough trips to the range with my suppressor / gun combo to be confortable with the results. I went shoot today and what a beautiful day it was to be out there.

I confirmed that the suppressor shifts my POI down 0.5 Mils (1.8 inches at 100 yards). It is very consistant and very repeatable. It does not change when you take the can off, then put it back on like some QD models apparently have a tendency to. I shot a 10 shot group with the can on and a 10 shot group without the can and they were basicly identical 1MOA groups at 100 yards. At this point I am confortable saying that there is zero loss of accuracy shooting through the suppressor.

I ran the two 10 round strings over my chrono. With the suppressor on I saw a 39FPS increase in speed of the 10 round averages.

I also shot 5 rounds of my subsonic loads at 50 yards. They require 2.2 mils from my 100 yard non-suppressed zero. This group was right at 1/2" so again 1MOA.

Just thought I would update the post after having what I feel is enough test data to draw defenitive conclusions. I am very happy with the purchase and in hindsight would do it again. Even though the wait and the paper work is a PITA.

Edit: I also had a chance to shoot it at 600 at Palo Alto a few months back and looking at my book I needed 0.6 Mils more than my "normal" non-suppressed correction. So it appears that the 0.5 Mil correction is accurate accross the board. Meaning I just add 0.5 Mils for any non-suppressed correction and it should be MONEY.

Last edited:

cruton

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Belle Chasse
    thanks for the reveiw and update. that is the one i have been looking at. now just need to get off my butt and get things rolling.

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La
    My buddy has a 338 whisper, Encore, I swear the round hitting is louder than the shot, I dont know the name of the suppressor

I run a 300-221 (300Whisper, but not with SSK's blessing) 220SMK @ 1080fps through my Liberty Black Raven II. Your jaw will drop; if you're more than 20ft away, you won't know it discharged.

Top Bottom