Time to buy my girl a gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    I loved my old airweight .38 +p. Wasn't the most accurate thing in the world, but for the wife it wouldn't get caught in her purse (hammerless) and had plenty of stopping power. Plus, all she has to do is bring it up to her chest, point and click. There is no slide to get caught on clothing (it does happen) and it will go bang for at least 5 rounds...lol

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I take my daughter (young teen) shooting and she can rack the slide on any of my semi-autos but has a hard time with the trigger of my 642.

I would agree that if she is not a "gun person" that a revolver would probably be the best way to go. As long as she has the finger strength to pull the trigger, she would be good to go.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Take her to somewhere that lets you rent guns, be prepared to spend some decent money and let her rent and shoot all teh ones that "feel good" in her hand.

of course, i would suggest a glock 19. :D

We can do that for free at the get together:

I forsee:

Various .22's
    .22 conversion kits. (Manimal, bring me back my Advantage Arms conversion)
    J frame S&W's
    K frame S&W
    1911's
    Glocks,
    the list goes on and on....

:D

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Hadn't thought too much about that, but it's a definite possibility. What kind of options are there for 9mm revolvers?

From someone else:
    Smith and Wesson made the 547 and 940

Ruger had the Sp-101 in 9mm, the security six, and blackhawk conversion cylinders as mentioned before.

Taurus made the model 905

LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    475 Wildey Magnum....

death-wish-3_5.jpg

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    something else interesting I just read:
    9mm is an autoloader rimless cartridge. It can't be fired in a revolver without moon clips. Same goes for .45ACP though it is a popular chambering for a revolver

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    You know... You got some great advice here but she's probably still living at home? A senior in high school??? As a parent, I'd have a duckdyingdamnedfit if my girl's boyfriend took it upon himself to purchase a firearm for her. Just be prepared for the potential fall out if you procede.

That being said, I do have a Taurus .38 ultralite. My husband's glock was the first handgun I really spent any time shooting and it's real nice, but I'm partial to revolvers myself.

mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area
    something else interesting I just read: "9mm is an autoloader rimless cartridge. It can't be fired in a revolver without moon clips. Same goes for .45ACP though it is a popular chambering for a revolver"

Yeah, moon clips are no big deal if 9mm is something she enjoys shooting, but at that point, I'd just as soon go the G19 route if she likes the feel of Glocks (or whatever). That Taurus 905 doesn't look bad, but I couldn't find any 9mm revolvers currently in production. But it's late and I might not have been looking too well.

You know... You got some great advice here but she's probably still living at home? A senior in high school??? As a parent, I'd have a duckdyingdamnedfit if my girl's boyfriend took it upon himself to purchase a firearm for her. Just be prepared for the potential fall out if you procede.

Still living at home, senior in high school, mother hates guns... that about sums it up. :p Her mother won't like it, but that's a bonus if nothing else.

I'm curious as to why you'd have a problem with your girl's boyfriend buying her a handgun? I think the chances of the last pair of earrings I bought her potentially saving her life is pretty low. A handgun could be about the most important and useful gift I ever buy her. A handgun is just a tool; no different than if I were buying her a pack of pens for school or something of the like.

LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    A handgun could be about the most important and useful gift I ever buy her. A handgun is just a tool; no different than if I were buying her a pack of pens for school or something of the like.

Or she could get jealous cuz u checked out some other girls ass at the park and shoot you in the dick. Making it without a doubt the single worst gift you ever bought anyone.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    If she were a bit older, then as a parent I probably wouldn't say much but even though she's turning 18, again as a parent, that doesn't necessarily make her a responsible adult overnight. Now some 18 year olds illegally drink safer than some 40 year old alcoholics. I recognize that type of argument too and agree with it. But maybe they make the age laws for a reason.

Don't get me wrong, I fully intend on my daughter knowing when to shoot by the time she's 18 and hopefully quite well. But at that age, the determination of when or if she's ready for a handgun in particular belongs to the parent IMO. :)

Now, if you got her an awesome tazer or a sleek carrying case for freeze +p, that'd be a cool deal, especially if she's going off to college very soon. But be prepared if she isn't ready for that tazer, I'd want to ducttape you to the floor and taz you repeatedly if she comes to find criminal trouble over that present. :D

Mrdbeau, I'll have an 11 year old this March and it's not a far shot from 18. I understand the desire to keep her safe, especially if she lives in or drives through rough neighborhoods on a daily basis. And I appreciate your concern for your girlfriend. But please appreciate my concern as a parent.

I will give you this though: my spouse is the man I was dating when I was 18, 15 years ago. And he had me shooting his handgun while we were dating. I'm not going to be a full on hypocrite, just a mother. Just be extremely confident that's the type of relationship with your girl. If she's someone you intend on marrying within a few months... that might change up the opinion some. Although I might would prefer my daughter's boyfriend to wait those extra couple months and give it to her as a wedding present instead. *smiles*

Craig

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 23, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I don't recommend .32s for SD or a light snubbie for a newbie, but the .327 revolvers can also fire .32s
    You could start her off with .32, go to the magnums then graduate to the .327.

Top Bottom