Tips on Duracoating

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I have an old Stevens 12ga pump I plan on shortening the barrel on and putting a flat black Duracoat finish on. I'm thinking on the Shake and Spray kit with the hardener finish. Anyone tryed this DIY project with Duracoat? Any tips?

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I'm not familiar with the shake and spray kit, but have done a few projects using standard Duracoat. The most important thing is preparation. All of the guns I have done were previously blued. I stripped the blued finish with naval jelly, sanded off pits and scratches, or just scuffed some with scotchbright. I take the disassembled parts to be coated and hang with wire coat hangers. be sure to plug the barrel and chamber. Duracoat is a little thick and I would suggest you leave pins in place to avoid any build-up inside the holes. This makes it difficult to reassemble. Degrease everything to be coated. I use brake cleaner and spray down everything after it's on hangers. Make sure you get brake cleaner that says it doesn't leave residue. Dont touch anything but the hangers with your hands after this point. I put a base coat of KG K-Phos. After that is dry, I lay up very thin coats of duracoat allowing time to dry between. I usually end up putting about 5 coats, but I put very thin coats and you could do thicker and just put 3. I wait at least 24 hrs before reassembling. I've had outstanding results using this method.

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've used the shake&spray kit. It works ok with the Duracoat but not the Durafill product. Durafill is a filler, used prior to applying the Duracoat finish. If you don't have a pitted surface you shouldn't need it. If you do, buy an air brush kit from Harbor Freight or a hobby shop.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I've found the engine enamel, followed by the grill enamel to be superior to duracoat.
    Like said above, prep is key. I've never removed blueing, but I strip/clean with Mek lightly buff with a green pad, then Mek again. Tape or plug all holes. If you can't get all holes before you spray find a drill bit that fits your pin holes, if after you paint the pins are too tight use the drill bit to open them back up.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Welk I finished my Savage. I stripped the bluing, degreased, sanded, and degreased again. Here's what she looks like. I also chooped the barrel and installed a front bead sight and added a limb saver.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352377358223.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1352377358223.jpg
      89.2 KB · Views: 129

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Duracoat is just a relabeled paint, forget what. It's not engineered for durability or hardness. Engine enamel is. And it's way easier to apply.

bigchris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    CHACKBAY,LA
    I've found the engine enamel, followed by the grill enamel to be superior to duracoat.
    Like said above, prep is key. I've never removed blueing, but I strip/clean with Mek lightly buff with a green pad, then Mek again. Tape or plug all holes. If you can't get all holes before you spray find a drill bit that fits your pin holes, if after you paint the pins are too tight use the drill bit to open them back up.

how has it held up after use? does it scratch easy? jus curious to know...

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    the grill stuff holds up pretty good, a sears and roebuck .22 i did in red for a buddys kid 5 years ago is just starting to chip.
    i did a sawed off stevens/springfield 5200 sxs about 12 years ago in black engine enamel for my dad, it is his go to gun for thick brush rabbit and grouse.
    its showing some wear on the muzzle, and a few chips on the breach, but no rust or any other issues.

on the other side, i did a ruger mk2 in green duracoat last year for my dad as his squirrel gun. the front half of the barrel is almost plain metal from holster wear, also there is some rust spots on the handle/grip from sweat.

ive also found brownells spray and bake stuff to preform poorly, especially compared to wheeler engineering ceracoat.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I've used it 2x with not so good success, as have many others. I have refinished many firearms, with everything from hot blue, to wally world rattle-can.

Top Bottom