Tips on exterminating coyotes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    My parents have been having more and more coyote activity in their back woods where I hunt and I am worried the bastards are going to keep the deer away this season. Any tips on how I can get them out and keep them out. I have never delt with coyotes before because I normally only hunt things I want to eat, but these are threatening my dear harvest so they have to go.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    pew-pew-pew-merica.jpg

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    If it makes you feel any better the animals have great fur. You only need to spend some time taking care of the hides in the field.

Farmers typically have varmint hunts which also include feral dogs and cats; And not because they want to kill indiscriminately. Some people allow their animals to breed excessively to the point they can't pay for the food. The feral animals will then start feeding on the farmer's livelihood.

Coyotes are also very smart. If you miss they'll become wary and you'll need to change things up. The situation also provides some justification for purchasing night vision. ;-)

Good luck! You'll be able to find lots of hunting friends who will assist with the extermination...you only need to ask.

rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    It's a wonderful excuse to get into some night vision. A buddy of mine used to tell a story about hanging rotten meat on treble hooks from trees and sitting out late with spot lights off. When the critters show up, flip the switch, and choot 'em. Not sure if it was a true story, but pretty entertaining any how.

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Where's the land at that has the problem?
    I'd be interested in helping you shoot them. I have proof I'm a good shot :)

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I would invite y'all but Calhoun/Pine Hills is a bit of a trip for most on here. I need to do this with minimal expense. A new rifle is out of the budget. Night vision is waay out of my range. My weapon options right now are a semi-auto 30-06, 12 gauge that holds 7+1, or a 10/22 with bx 25. Which would you choose? I can shoot very well by moonlight with iron sights and my shooting lanes are 100 yards or less.
    Any advice on good bait I can whip up at home?

Right now I'm thinking about getting in my climbing stand and tying some old, freezer burnt steaks a few feet off the ground from other trees close by. Does that sound like it might work?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I have a friend that does some trapping.
    Live coyotes bring big money.

He might be willing to work out something if you're not familiar with trapping.

Last edited:

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You want bait? Get with a butcher and arrange to pick up his scraps and cleanings from his machines. Put the stuff in milk cartons (1/2gal) or jugs, keep 'em in the freezer. Set out a couple or three when you want to bait a spot. I have dumped out guts when we clean game, gone the next morning. Set up where they most likely won't catch your scent. Works best at night. GW

Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    My cousin had a coyote problem a couple of years back. They took a cow and calf. We drug the cow off to the grave yard. He had poison of some sort that he doctored the cow with. Next couple of days we found dead coyotes, buzzards and a few other things dead all around that cow. I don’t know what it was but it sure killed them.

Wolf

Last edited:
    Top Bottom