to load or not to load?.....9mm......that is the question.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    Precision bullets are swaged, so they are very consistent in weight and geometry. Very accurate. Do everything I could ask of a coated bullet.
    Keep you eye on Precision Delta and Zero (PowderValley) for jacketed bullets. I bought a LOT a couple of years ago for just a mil over 7 cents/bullet--may not see that price ever again, but Zero, in particular, are worth it.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Not too long ago, you couldn't find 9mm at wally world. Just buy the dies!!

Not bad advice at all. Because I don't think we will see 9mm get much cheaper than 20 cents/round.
    The majority of 9mm ammo I own cost me less than 10cents per round and I do believe it should last. But, as we've seen time and again, things like price and availability can change almost overnight, a panic ensues and so many people wish they'd prepared. Either by the dies or buy the ammo at $10/50 now if you're at all concerned, BUT, if you buy the dies, you may as well but the powder, primers and bullets now and find the brass to reload and get it done now and seal it up. Because if there is another shortage/panic/price hike or whatever, it will spread across the board to reloading components.

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    Its good advice for sure, buy the dies and be prepared. Bought a set that I've yet to use but I have plenty 700x and Bullseye powder as I use these in 45ACP. I had a lot of 9mm on hand when the current price increases hit us. I used to grab 2 boxes of win white box at $6.95 from Wal Mart everytime I hit the door. Filled up an igloo cooler. Have plenty still, but I also have 5 gals of brass. Powder, Bullets, Primers I buy locally @ La. Reloading and buy in bulk and whats available. I don't look for the shooting sports procurement situation to change much in the future.

Swampman1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    south La.
    The cheapest 9mm ammo I've found is at walmart for about $15 per box. By casting my own bullets, and buying powder, primers in bulk, I bring that cost down to $2.50 per box. :) Oh yeah...you definately can save by reloading 9mm.

Last edited:

Mule700

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Prairieville, La
    I reload 9mm using 124gr Bayou Bullets , Federal Primers and whatever powder is available for
    .11 per round
    $5.62 per box of 50
    $112.43 per 1000
    Hope this helps you to decide plus as you already know since you load other calibers the quality control is better and you can customize your load

FD807 would you mine telling me what recipe you use for this set up? I have some 124 bayou bullets and have W231, WST, Bullseye, and WSF, on hand. Thanks.

BTW are you a firefighter?

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    A complete newbie here... I'd like to start reloading 9mm. What is the least expensive route I can take at this point? Could you recommend the best kit that won't break the bank? What do I need (outside of supplies)? Press, dyes, digital scale, tumbler? Am I missing something? I appreciate your recommendations and help.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    A complete newbie here... I'd like to start reloading 9mm. What is the least expensive route I can take at this point? Could you recommend the best kit that won't break the bank? What do I need (outside of supplies)? Press, dyes, digital scale, tumbler? Am I missing something? I appreciate your recommendations and help.

PM beauxdog who is a Sponsor here and owns LA. Gun & Reloading in Baton Rouge.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

What is your budget?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    In the 45/70
    I only reload ICBM's, I hope this does not scare some members?
    These make a 9mm round look like a Daisy round.

Attachments

• Hogzilla 4570 001 (1024x768).jpg
      Hogzilla 4570 001 (1024x768).jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 69
    • Hogzilla 4570 003 (1024x768).jpg
      Hogzilla 4570 003 (1024x768).jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 65
    Last edited:

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge

Go take the reloading class at Louisiana Gun and Reloading. I hadn't reloaded in over 25 years and wanted to start up again so I took the class to get back on track the right way. Contact Beauxdog as JBP55 recommends.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Jack,

No budget. Just wondering how much I need to save up to begin.

It all depends on how slow you're okay with going. A single stage press is really cheap(you can get them for under $100), but really slow. I personally don't think the savings in cost is worth it if you are going that slow. I'd also suspect that if you are purchasing a single stage, you don't have the money to buy components in a large enough quantity to see the savings many others do. This is especially true with powder and primers, hazmat fees cause a larger impact on per round cost when ordering smaller amounts.

CoolDad67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    I reload for all of my guns including 9mm. I haven't tried lead bullets in the 9mm yet, but based on this thread I may have to try it.

Biggest problem I have with the 9mm is that the semi-auto pistols throw the brass so bad that quite a few get lost.

Top Bottom