ToddG Bans Serpa in his classes as well

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Quote :

At this point, pistol-training.com is going to follow the lead of other instructors such as Larry Vickers and ban the SERPA (and the various cheap knockoffs on the market) from classes beginning in 2012. I have been suggesting to students that they bring something else to classes up until now and will continue that for anyone who is already registered for a class in 2011.

This decision was not made lightly. There is no doubt this will upset some people, including both past and potential students. In fact, just this weekend I had a very competent student in class who used a SERPA with no safety concerns whatsoever. Nonetheless, for the reasons outlined in GearScout’s article as well as concerns I’ve voiced in the past, I believe that the overall training environment will be more suitable for the kind of activities at a typical pistol-training.com class without SERPA holsters.

The one exception will be law enforcement & military personnel who are issued or otherwise required by policy/regulation to use the SERPA. I do not feel someone should be denied training because of a gear choice made by a procurement department.

Train hard & stay safe! ToddG

pmac81

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Gonzales
    If they are basing a ban on SERPA holsters for safety concerns, I feel it is more of a issue with the mindset of the student as far as weapons safety goes, while I may not have as much experience as some members of this forum or other shooters, I have never had a problem with SERPA holsters, and for that reason I own several, I find it is a well made holster that is, at least to me, quality designed with quality materials, this is just my .02 and I would like to know more of their reasoning.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Newb question: What's wrong this type of holster?

The Serpa uses a locking mechanism that places the finger directly over the trigger, exerting pressure as the gun comes out. You can imagine why that's a bad thing. One of several reasons the Serpa holsters suck.

What is ToddG?...nother newb question?

Todd Green - www.pistol-training.com

Are they recommending any alternatives?

IF you need a retention holster, Safariland is the way to go IMHO. If you don't need retention, there's a zillion kydex holster makers out there now.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If they are basing a ban on SERPA holsters for safety concerns, I feel it is more of a issue with the mindset of the student as far as weapons safety goes, while I may not have as much experience as some members of this forum or other shooters, I have never had a problem with SERPA holsters, and for that reason I own several, I find it is a well made holster that is, at least to me, quality designed with quality materials, this is just my .02 and I would like to know more of their reasoning.

Finger placement on the holster causes some to engage the trigger premature during the draw stroke and cause a ND.
    At times foreign matter may cause the locking device to lock the loaded pistol in the holster.
    I have used them and I have seen many others in use with no issues but the above issues are well documented.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have said this before:

When I'm rolling low profile, I use a RCS phantom.

When I'm doing "social work", Safariland ALS.

JR1572

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    good for him, my G26 in its serpa holster doesn't care. I never did get this, if you stick your finger somewhere it doesnt belong, it's your fault not the holsters. The release on mine leaves my finger right along the frame above the trigger, exactly where I want it.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    good for him, my G26 in its serpa holster doesn't care. I never did get this, if you stick your finger somewhere it doesnt belong, it's your fault not the holsters. The release on mine leaves my finger right along the frame above the trigger, exactly where I want it.

That's what he said, too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Even if there was no chance of shooting yourself, Serpas still have the little "you got some dirt in your lock mechanism and now you're gonna need a hacksaw to get it out" problem.

Which of course is defended with "never happened to mine!" and you're right. It hasn't happened, until it's happened. The life-or-death question is...when's it gonna happen?

mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    this is just as bad as blaming the gun for killing someone. NO one on this site would ever blame the gun for shooting a person, but those same people will blame a holster for AD's. This stuff ceases to amaze me. I read that TODDG will allow LE to have those evil holsters. From my experience LE are some of the most inexperienced people on the range with a gun.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Your scope of expirence must be rather narrow. Cops are among the worst gun handlers I have ever seen. And the Serpa is a dangerously flawed holster design.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    He's only allowing LE to train with it because it might be their duty holster. Doesn't make the holster less of a POS, it's just common sense to train with your issued equipment.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom