Top Secret Clearances

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    In theory: 1) Purchase laptop or tablet with cash. 2) Set up free email account with fake information 3) Only log on onto internet via no camera coffee shops wifi hot spots 4) turn off/remove battery of laptop/tablet prior to returning home 5) Ensure route taken to and from where you access wifi hotspot doesn't have surrounding surveillance cameras from neighboring buildings 6) Wear foil on my head while doing what evil doers do

Am I good to go with my footprints covered? I somehow think CSI Miama will still find me. caugh caugh....trying to change the subject caugh caugh

The store where you buy the laptop with cash will probably have cash. Your best bet would be to drive somewhere not in your neighborhood and pay some kid off the street to walk in and buy it. It works in the movies.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    What I posted in the CCW forum came across wrong, and I should have worded it differently or better yet not said anything at all. I do not advocate violence against the police or law enforcement. I appreciate everyone here at BS holding my feet to the fire over what I said. I also appreciate all the advice and good information, I'll keep it in mind from now on. I hope I'm still eligible for the TS clearance. If not I'll have to find another occ field. I'd hate for fifteen minutes of stupidity to ruin a career move, but we all have to be accountable for our actions. If there's any mods out there willing to delete any of my questionable posts I would appreciate it. Thanks all. This has been a helpful and interesting thread.

You do realize that's too little too late and that the secret squirrels have already made note of it, copied it, printed it out, and supplied it to your local sheriff.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Need to let this one die. Man had been taking pain med's with alittle alcohol and typed something stupid online. He said he was sorry and didn't mean it and sounded like he learned alot( I REALLY REALLY HOPE SO). Let's not drag him around by his inactive balls. Heartless I wish you a speedy recovery and think happy thoughts because everyone likes happy people.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yea, I remember having vicodin for my tooth extractions, taking a couple and then not thinking about it, had two beers. Halfway through my second beer, I started feeling pretty loopy and it dawned on me I maybe should have thought my evening drinks through better.... didn't stop me from finishing that second beer though. :D - but yea, I'm pretty sure I woulda been saying some stupid crap too that is against my normal personality!

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    My son is a LTC in MI assigned to J2 at the Pentagon.

He calls every once in a while for info the security checkers need.

I had a SECRET clearance 50y ago when I was in the Army. A guy with the FBI or some agency talked to our senior ROTC class about security clearances. My dad was dean of the college and he would occasionally come to the house to ask him about people. One day my dad wasn't there and he asked me about a classmate who had been born in India, questioning if there was anything about him which would indicate disloyalty. This fellow ended up being a career chopper pilot. I think he ended up with a warrant officer rank.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I like the traditional " I don't hate cops, I have family members that are cops". I'm sure you will fail your TS clearance but stranger things have happened. Please let us know the outcome so we can see how the federal government has changed or not changed.

Motor51

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yea, I remember having vicodin for my tooth extractions, taking a couple and then not thinking about it, had two beers. Halfway through my second beer, I started feeling pretty loopy and it dawned on me I maybe should have thought my evening drinks through better.... didn't stop me from finishing that second beer though. :D - but yea, I'm pretty sure I woulda been saying some stupid crap too that is against my normal personality!

While I can totally respect that, are people that choose to drink while taking pain killers and proceed to say things they shouldn't the kind of people that should know top secret stuff? ;)

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I had an investigator come in to my work one day asking a bunch of questions about a former employee. Pretty interesting, the employee hadnt worked for us for like 6 years.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    While I can totally respect that, are people that choose to drink while taking pain killers and proceed to say things they shouldn't the kind of people that should know top secret stuff? ;)
    Additionally, I'm of the opinion alcohol allows people to say what they are thinking, but what their filter would normally catch. When people say stupid things drunk, IMO its not because they aren't thinking them or dont have that opinion, they are just normally too chicken **** to say what they mean.

in625shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    We'll see. If I'm not cleared for the TS, then I guess we'll have to.

TS clearence is similar to what FED LE have to go through every 5 years in the FED LE side. OPM investigators are the ones that do all of them. The main thing is be honost on EVERYTHING. If you tried marajana in high school or the last 10 years tell them. If you got a DUI or Article 15 tell them. The biggest showstopper is if you don't admit something and the investigator gets blind sided. Thats what gets people in hot water ie be labeled disqualified. Most minor drug use (there are some harder drugs that automaticly disqualify you) will not disqualify you unless it was like last weekedn etc. Most misdemeaner arrests you are ok (one guy had 5 alcohol related arrests and told them and his got approved) It's basically an integrity thing.

Good luck

in625shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    There is history on everything even though Article 15's might be suspended it's an integrity issue if you don't disclose it. You will be disqualified. I have acutally seen good people walked out (ie Fired) at 6-12-13 months after they were hired when info like an Article 15 was discovered that they did not disclose. The OPM investigator has full access to all or your records and even if it was a suspened discipline they will see it. Also the OPM investigator trys to get 3 indipendent charactor witnesses which mean. You list the 3 or so references plus your work supervisor OPM will ask normal questions and then try to get an "indipendet" that you didn't list thet you worked with/knows you not to mention your neighbors. So THEY WILL FIND OUT

Secret Squirrel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    BAFB
    You do realize that's too little too late and that the secret squirrels have already made note of it, copied it, printed it out, and supplied it to your local sheriff.

Yep .. the Secret Squirrels are watching. As said before, be 100% honest when you fill out the paper work and during the interview (to include email addresses and other names used Heartless). If you do not get a TS you can still get a new military job with a secret clearance.

If you lie to the investigator or falsify official documents and get caught, (will happen during a TS background check) then you are in in violation of UCMJ, dishonorable discharged and you may serve time in jail. Don't believe me? Read the disclosure/Forms you'll sign during the TS process. As a civilian good luck getting a job with that on your record, you'll most likely never work for the federal government again.

Simply put, If you'll lie about a post on a forum, you don't qualify to hold a TS. Believe me I deal with investigators for this all the time. Social Media is a huge problem in the military, young service members have no idea how much info can be linked back to them with a simple search. But that is only part of the research, they'll talk to people too. I could only imagine what my X said to my investigators over the years. Secrets don't like to stay in the dark, if it is out there it will find its way to the light.

I thought about letting this die, but wanted to give you the low down on the consequences if you do lie during one of these interviews. Bad idea. Posting about substance abuse as a military member is also a bad idea. If you have a problem get help and get your TS. I have know guys to have an Article 15s in the past, others who elected to attend ADAP for Alcohol related incidents. They were able to get a TS because they were honest, had good credit etc. etc. And no an article 15 never disappears if you have access to the right system/people.

We all make mistakes. Investigators know this. Number 1 reason for a top secret clearance being denied? Applicant lied. Educate your peers. :D

Top Bottom