Torn between guns again

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    After reading the review a few posts down, I had my mind made up that I wanted a M&P shield. THEN I tried to find one. I think I would have an easier time finding a unicorn...

Then, one of my friends told me to see if a Springfield XD-S was easier to find. I haven't tried to locate one yet, but I may soon enough. My only turnoff to the XD-S will require some retraining. I was always taught to slingshot the slide on reload versus using the slide stop lever. Everything I read on the XD-S makes it seem as though the slide stop lever needs to be depressed in order to chamber a round in a full magazine. I don't know if I want to change nearly 30 years of ingrained training and that nearly puts the XD-S off the must buy list.

Then, I made the mistake of looking online, and the Beretta Nano, Sig P290, and Walther PPS were the first ones that managed to grab my attention.

Last edited:

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    If you want a Shield, buy a Shield. It took me a few hours, but I tracked one down. They are out there.

I went to both Academy stores in Lafayette, and not one to be found. Lafayette Shooters may have them, but I bet they charge over MSRP for it if they do have it in stock. I'll try to swing by Dave's tomorrow to see what he has in stock.

ldn0125

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have the Walther PPS chambered in 9mm and I love my gun. I have had it since about the 3rd week of September (I guess) and have well over 2000 rounds through it. I don't run a ton of different ammo through it so I can't tell you a list that it likes. For range use, I stick to Magtech 115 hrs FMJ and it likes it just fine. It field strips easily - just like a Glock. I got it because it was a single stack, making it a little easier to conceal for a woman (versus a double stack - G19).

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    And I am no longer torn between guns. I was all set to purchase the XD-S on Monday, but was told they had a couple of M&P Shields in .40 S&W coming in today. Although I am going against my "all new handguns must be 9mm or .45 acp" policy, I preferred the way the Shield felt in my hand over the XD-S. Also, I amended my rules to make an exception for carry handguns. My game, my rules, right?

MP_Shield.jpg

I'm hoping to have a range report by the end of the weekend!

EDIT: Although this isn't the world's best indicator, I like the Shield's trigger better in a dry fire situation than the Springfield XD-S trigger. I also like the idea of a manual safety versus a grip safety, but really prefer the manipulation of no safety on a carry gun.

Last edited:

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    I was in the same boat as you. I went and handled the nano'PPS, and Sig. I just didn't like the nano at alI and liked the sig P290 the best. I went in thinking Walther PPS but decided against it because of the mag release. That was a no go on a defensive handgun for me. The restrike P290 is a nice little gun and you can pick one up at bus for under $470 shipped. Its about the same size as the shield and has an 8 RD mag available. I pick mine up tomorrow.

Last edited:

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I finally managed to get some trigger time in with the M&P Shield, and thus far I like it. The trigger is going to take a little bit of getting used to because I am pulling slightly to the left with it. Other than that, I am satisfied with my purchase. I'll post target photos after I get used to the trigger (haha).

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Nice gun. You could always sell it later on if you come across a deal on the 9mm. I've had great experience with the M&P series and would like to get some trigger time on a shield.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    And I am no longer torn between guns. I was all set to purchase the XD-S on Monday, but was told they had a couple of M&P Shields in .40 S&W coming in today. Although I am going against my "all new handguns must be 9mm or .45 acp" policy, I preferred the way the Shield felt in my hand over the XD-S. Also, I amended my rules to make an exception for carry handguns. My game, my rules, right?

MP_Shield.jpg

I'm hoping to have a range report by the end of the weekend!

EDIT: Although this isn't the world's best indicator, I like the Shield's trigger better in a dry fire situation than the Springfield XD-S trigger. I also like the idea of a manual safety versus a grip safety, but really prefer the manipulation of no safety on a carry gun.

I am very jealous. I hope AFFS gets some of these soon.
    I'll be hitting the gun show in Kenner also, but I don't expect to see any.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom