Total Home Renovation - Need Supply Sources

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    I bought a double a few years ago and renovated one half to my sister's liking since we would be living in that half of the house first, while the other half ("my side") remained occupied by the same residents prior to the purchase. Well, January is finally the time for me to move to my side and I will be doing another complete renovation. I hope some of you can help me find some new/ better home renovation items or places to buy them. Any suggestions for businesses handling any of the following in SE LA would be greatly appreciated.

I am most concerned with the big things for now. The house is livable now so I will start with the upstairs first (3 bedrooms, 1 bath up) and finish the rest (kitchen,bath,dining,living) once upstairs is complete. Just about all work will be completed by myself with the help of family. House is ~1700 sq. ft.

Main things I am looking for:
    • Wood floors - this is just for upstairs. There is wood there currently, but it is cheap and not put together well. Lumber Liq. comes to mind on this one.
    • Doors/frames - Will be replacing all doors and doorframes.
    • Trim - Will add crown moulding and base trim.
    • Cabinets - prefer real wood and would rather build them myself to save some money. Kitchen and bathroom will be needed
    • Countertops - Open to lots of opinions. Could be granite, manufactured, etc.
    • Bathroom stuff - sinks, toilets, bathtubs. Obviously Lowe's, Home Depot are a good start, so not as important.
    • Appliances - Same thing as bathroom stuff.

This side will be my home, so I am looking for quality products within a reasonable price. If you know of places to the find these items and have some good/ bad things to say about any of them I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

:)

Last edited:

Jester

I thought it was funny...
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    New Orleans Area
    Depot and Lowes have some low end plumbing, just be careful what you pick out.
    They are cheap on "loss leaders", but high on a total bill of materials.
    they also tend to not have a clue what they are selling.

I'd be happy to help you with plumbing fixtures and rough materials.
    I have a place on gentilly (1995) and in metairie by causeway & airline (2601 l&a road).
    LCR's Plumbing Warehouse. 378.8000. NolaShowroom.com

Thanks,
    Mike

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Most contractors I've delt with prefer Stine Lumber.
    I know nothing about wood floors I have ceramic and porcelain tile throughout.
    For countertops go granite and don't look back. Just be sure They come and They measure and They install it! Buy the time you pay for "good formica" your so close to granite and synthetic is practically even money.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I've bought Home Depot and Lowes lumber and it's very low quality. I've bought from Lumber Products on Airline Hwy., and they gave me knotty crap that really looks like hell.

I have also bought from Gueydan Lumber at Airline and Central, and they milled the lumber to my specs and it cost less than Home Depot. I will never go to HD or Lowes for lumber again. Riverside on Morrison Rd. is good too, but I don't have as much experience with them as Gueydan.

Jefferson Door by the Harvey Canal does a high volume of doors, and the ones I've bought were excellent solid wood doors.

I bought my cabinets from Mattix. The first time around I bought my cabinets and countertops from Singer, but never again. Their products were excellent, but their prices were high. I've since done two kitchens, and bought from Mattix. Mattix sells a very good product - comparable I'd say - for a LOT less. If you really want to make your own, call Gueydan. They'll make the wood to your specs, and they have ash, oak, and mahogany among other types of wood. Riverside has exotic wood.

I've had Alonso Flooring do three houses of mine. They did wonderful work with red oak floors, and the prices were reasonable. In our rental house the floors still look new 7 years later. Do NOT use pine for floors. The prices are great, but the wood is soft, and women's high heels are narrow and pointy, and they leave indentations in the wood - specially *some* women.

I hear Ray Nagin has a granite countertop business :)

We ordered all our appliances online, and we got them shipped to our door for less that we find them locally - before delivery fees!

Last edited:

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Depot and Lowes have some low end plumbing, just be careful what you pick out.
    They are cheap on "loss leaders", but high on a total bill of materials.
    they also tend to not have a clue what they are selling.

I'd be happy to help you with plumbing fixtures and rough materials.
    I have a place on gentilly (1995) and in metairie by causeway & airline (2601 l&a road).
    LCR's Plumbing Warehouse. 378.8000. NolaShowroom.com

Thanks,
    Mike

This,

Knowledgeable staff and excellent customer service. Most of the employees have been in the business for 10+ years and/or worked in the field.

Plumbing is what we do, and we can make it One of the easiest parts of your renovation.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    This,

Knowledgeable staff and excellent customer service. Most of the employees have been in the business for 10+ years and/or worked in the field.

Plumbing is what we do, and we can make it One of the easiest parts of your renovation.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Saved to my speed-dial. Thanks for sponsoring BayouShooter.

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!

I've bought Home Depot and Lowes lumber and it's very low quality. I've bought from Lumber Products on Airline Hwy., and they gave me knotty crap that really looks like hell.

I have also bought from Gueydan Lumber at Airline and Central, and they milled the lumber to my specs and it cost less than Home Depot. I will never go to HD or Lowes for lumber again. Riverside on Morrison Rd. is good too, but I don't have as much experience with them as Gueydan.

Jefferson Door by the Harvey Canal does a high volume of doors, and the ones I've bought were excellent solid wood doors.

I bought my cabinets from Mattix. The first time around I bought my cabinets and countertops from Singer, but never again. Their products were excellent, but their prices were high. I've since done two kitchens, and bought from Mattix. Mattix sells a very good product - comparable I'd say - for a LOT less. If you really want to make your own, call Gueydan. They'll make the wood to your specs, and they have ash, oak, and mahogany among other types of wood. Riverside has exotic wood.

I've had Alonso Flooring do three houses of mine. They did wonderful work with red oak floors, and the prices were reasonable. In our rental house the floors still look new 7 years later. Do NOT use pine for floors. The prices are great, but the wood is soft, and women's high heels are narrow and pointy, and they leave indentations in the wood - specially *some* women.

I hear Ray Nagin has a granite countertop business :)

We ordered all our appliances online, and we got them shipped to our door for less that we find them locally - before delivery fees!

This is exactly what I was looking for. Just a few more places to start looking, because there are so many options.

Luckily I will not need much lumber, but I will certainly keep those in mind.

I will look into Jefferson Door and Mattix. Just to be clear, I didn't mean custom built cabinets. I just meant that I would rather have them come in boxes and need to be assembled by me, if it could save me a little money. We dealt with Kitchen Depot the first time, but I just wanted to see what other options were out there. They also did the countertops, but that is one of the main reasons I want to look for other options.

I need to check out Alfonso too. I am getting a dog in a few months also, so I am definitely looking for something that will hold up over time.

Might be difficult to get in touch with Ray, lol

I do most of my shopping online and did not think about ordering appliances online. I have found some package deals with no interest for 2 years recently at some of the bigger retailers, and I have and can earn points at Sears, but this is a huge expense. I figure kitchen appliances will be ~$2500 total. fridge is most expensive but I just want a quality side by side with water/ice on the door. washer/ dryer will be ~$600 each. So saving a few hundred or getting more for my money could be worth it.

This,

Thanks Mike and Jason, I will definitely be checking out LCR too! Would rather deal with local knowledgable businesses than going to HD, even though it is right down the street.

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I have a nice pedestal sink I just pulled out of my guest bath, a black cast iron kitchen sink and some brass and white porcelain door knobs and a couple other odds and ends I Would trade or sell if you are interested. Pm me if you want.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    If your interested I have a cabinet guy that can do real wood and granite counter cheaper than the cheapest cabinets and Formica you can get from Home Depot installed. Pm me if you want his info

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    bought and paid for ~850 sqft of wood floors today from Lumber Liq.!

Also have been looking at cabinets and granite countertops. Some of the places I have been looking if anyone has experience, good or bad:

Countertops: French Quarter Facades, Stone Gallery
    Doors/trim: Moulding & Millwork Supply
    Cabinets: Republic Industries

Thanks to all the suggestions so far!

Top Bottom